Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 22, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #1,951 of 5,538
would quobuz sound better thru the uapp app or directly from downloaded direct quobuz on n8ii ?
also,
neutron sounds really great with n8ii
and meze empyrean and n8ii is a match made in heaven!!

If you set the EQ on UAPP, it will work when you use Tidal or quobuz through UAPP?

I am not a EQ guy, but this can be a soluton to someone looking for a EQ feature that can cover their local library and streaming library at the same time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,952 of 5,538
About Sony Vs Cayin ? Originally I enjoyed WM1Z much more than N8. Now, Given that they are both released at the same time, or similarly, I rather go with N8ii. WM1Z M2 has not that innovations that can trigger my curiosity and pull out my wallet. Because unlike back then, I don’t need new devices. But N8ii innovation has peaked my curiosity and here I am.

One thing I can say is that the N8ii is the thinnest, most compact, lightest weight, most portable, best looking Digital Portable Player at this moment!!! With dual Korg tubes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I am with you on this round. :beerchug:

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,953 of 5,538
and I had responsed to similar quesitons several times, this is one of the examples in N6ii discussion.

I am not saying Cayin will develop a modular based DAP again, but Cayin is extremely unlikley, and don't have any plan currently, to build a new DAP based on existing N6ii Audio Motherboard physical structure. This will limited our innovation and implementation options for our next generation DAP.
Yeah, thanks for digging up an older post on this topic. And also thank you for your current answer ”Cayin is extremely unlikley, and don't have any plan currently, to build a new DAP based on existing N6ii Audio Motherboard physical structure“. And thank you because it is 99% as solid as a rock now, no matter what its content is.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #1,954 of 5,538
Burning it in now. Wow, hats off to Cayin! Amazing transparency coupled with euphonic tube sound in portable format. This is like having my full desktop setup on the go. This feels similar to my 300B preamp + CFA3 combo. Wow!

Listening to IE 900 with High gain, P, Tube, A class mode. Music is Patricia Barber‘s Clique! album in DSD512.

Can I purchse this DSD512 album online? I like Patricia Barber and her "Taste of Honey" is on my show demo folder. I rip that from my own CD so a Hi-Res demo track form here will be wonderful.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,956 of 5,538
Can I purchse this DSD512 album online? I like Patricia Barber and her "Taste of Honey" is on my show demo folder. I rip that from my own CD so a Hi-Res demo track form here will be wonderful.

Yes, from Native DSD dot com.
In case you want good background information on the Clique album and how it was recorded, please take a look at:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/patricia-barber-clique-review-plus-video-interview-r1038/
Near the end of the written review, availability and formats get mentioned.

If your time allows, you can also watch the interview with recording engineer Jim Anderson and his wife Ulrike Schwarz Anderson. The recording process is built on DXD.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,957 of 5,538
Yes, you can go to Native DSD website.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,958 of 5,538
Yes, from Native DSD dot com.
I think these are just offline conversions, and not produced by studios from the recordings and mastering
In case you want good background information on the Clique album and how it was recorded, please take a look at:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/patricia-barber-clique-review-plus-video-interview-r1038/

If your time allows, you can also watch the interview with recording engineer Jim Anderson and his wife Ulrike Schwarz Anderson. The recording process is built on DXD.
From this articles, it is nothing out of the ordinary of high sample rated converter from ADC into PCM multi bit for recordings of upto 32/ 384Khz

You will not see any natively recoding DSD anymore as that is very extensive sessions which requires many trials and errors, dedications and disciplines, which lacks in the modern worlds.

I would say that most of the DSD you can purchase is just from Offline conversions. I would rather buy 32/384Khz if the studio would produce and sell it

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,959 of 5,538
I think these are just offline conversions, and not produced by studios from the recordings and mastering
Yes that’s correct. Native DSD is doing their own conversions and it sounds really good.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,960 of 5,538
You are right, DXD recording turned into a multitude of formats thereafter. Please read the Audiophile Style review and background story with the recording team, the Anderson‘s.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,961 of 5,538
Yes that’s correct. Native DSD is doing their own conversions and it sounds really good.
Must be using either AUIconverter or HQPlayerPro. Both of them are for commercial productions and usages. However, HQPlayerPro will allow much more customizations of different filters, modulations, noise shaping …etc… and which you can claim for yourself that you have remastered and conversions by your own

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,962 of 5,538
Must be using either AUIconverter or HQPlayerPro. Both of them are for commercial productions and usages. However, HQPlayerPro will allow much more customizations of different filters, modulations, noise shaping …etc… and which you can claim for yourself that you have remastered and conversions by your own
I think they use Merging Technologies to convert from DXD PCM to DSD. If you want to buy albums recorded in DSD, I suggest you try recordings from Hunnia Records (also available in Native DSD website). But you’re right, the majority are actually converted from PCM.

Since this is N8ii’s thread, let’s get back to topic! I’m finding the N8ii Tube mode more holographic after 3 hrs continuous play. This is really good!

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,963 of 5,538
As long as the N8ii is physically warmed to the touch, the sound is distinctively better than when it was cold. I have timed it upto 30 minutes and I gave up afterward. I would either quit listening or too deep into listening to bother about the little changes at 3 hours mark 😳

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,964 of 5,538
As long as the N8ii is physically warmed to the touch, the sound is distinctively better than when it was cold. I have timed it upto 30 minutes and I gave up afterward. I would either quit listening or too deep into listening to bother about the little changes at 3 hours mark 😳
Well actually I listened to it for 1 hour, left it playing when I had dinner, then I came back to listen afterwards 😁 The change is noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back