Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,801 of 5,547
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,802 of 5,547
Sorry, I was looking to check if there’s any mqa unfolding in the Tidal, using Tidal app direct since you can only download Tidal playlists on the Tidal App. Will the N8ii unfold mqa in the future?
Thanks @Andykong , I was just crazy impressed with mqa on the RS6 full unfolding, first time I thought same tracks sounded better then my FLAC hi res stuff I own. 🤞🏻 Mqa will get full unfolding on the N8ii, I think that with the tubes will be amazing.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,803 of 5,547
D7512BBA-0601-43D5-8C53-0A7057D54C44.jpeg

Much better combo then I was expecting since the ZMF VC’s are 300 ohm. Even really like the combo with class A tube, no need for P+ with them. First portable dap I like with ZMF’s but the VC’s love tubes, even hybrid tube. The m15 always sounded sleepy with them and the sp2000 sounded a bit thin with vocals. It’s not my desktop tube amp but certainly something I’d bring to the deck or pool patio.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,804 of 5,547
Pretty sure my charge woes are due to charging with the case on. Had another 20% only charge gain over the night. In the morning it actually stopped charging at 95% and said full (I watched it do it). Red light switched off. It's battery time! No... its not.

Reseating cable, changing the cable had no effect.
Restarted and it began trying to charge again (red light pulsing) but stayed at 95% for 45+ mins. Removed the case and it was done in 15 mins. It doesn't feel hot at all though, an I was only at p/ss/ab. The lesser of settings for heat generation.

Hopefully this can be addressed in firmware? I really hate not trusting whether you can reliably charge your device.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,805 of 5,547
Pretty sure my charge woes are due to charging with the case on. Had another 20% only charge gain over the night. In the morning it actually stopped charging at 95% and said full (I watched it do it). Red light switched off. It's battery time! No... its not.

Reseating cable, changing the cable had no effect.
Restarted and it began trying to charge again (red light pulsing) but stayed at 95% for 45+ mins. Removed the case and it was done in 15 mins. It doesn't feel hot at all though, an I was only at p/ss/ab. The lesser of settings for heat generation.

Hopefully this can be addressed in firmware? I really hate not trusting whether you can reliably charge your device.
Related to the charging question I note on the online specs for the N8ii that it's possible to customise the charging limit between 50-100%. Why should I set a charging limit to my battery, is say setting it to 80% or something below 100% advisable in the interests of battery health?

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,806 of 5,547
@named name , thanks for the simple direction; that indeed was the issue. Happily listening to my own files now; I'm genuinely appreciative.

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,807 of 5,547
Related to the charging question I note on the online specs for the N8ii that it's possible to customise the charging limit between 50-100%. Why should I set a charging limit to my battery, is say setting it to 80% or something below 100% advisable in the interests of battery health?
Yes, it's best to operate within 20-90% charge as much as possible for the longevity of the battery. If you are forgetful and don't watch the charge, setting it to stop charging at 80 or 90% full is a nice feature to have if you plan on plugging in and leaving. (if it will stay charging unchaperoned :xf_wink:)

I personally end up doing full charges 1-2x a month (by accident) but try and stay within those 20-90 parameters.
Try to never let the battery drain fully if you can help it. Otherwise batteries are pretty forgiving these days and I just try and use it and not think too much about it.

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,808 of 5,547
Yes, it's best to operate within 20-90% charge as much as possible for the longevity of the battery. If you are forgetful and don't watch the charge, setting it to stop charging at 80 or 90% full is a nice feature to have if you plan on plugging in and leaving. (if it will stay charging unchaperoned :xf_wink:)

I personally end up doing full charges 1-2x a month (by accident) but try and stay within those 20-90 parameters.
Try to never let the battery drain fully if you can help it. Otherwise batteries are pretty forgiving these days and I just try and use it and not think too much about it.
Thanks for that, good to know, so for somebody like me who charges up their battery overnight and finds it at 100% in the morning setting the limit to 90% is a good pampering for the baby.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,809 of 5,547
Why should I set a charging limit to my battery, is say setting it to 80% or something below 100% advisable in the interests of battery health?

Absolutely! Especially for a battery of this size, I strongly suggest everyone set their charging limit to 80 or 85%. I've been trying to find an app for my phone to do the same thing but requires rooting...

As for including a charger, I see why Cayin wasn't really able to easily do it with all the different variances throughout the world, , but I also see the issues as people try to use various chargers with some more success than others. I picked up these 18W QC3's for my wireless charge pads so they'd probably work pretty well with this device and they're pretty cheap at about 12 bucks for three @ Amazon US. Its not really how quick it charges the device, it's how accurately it charges :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9BZ24...t_i_WCAS3QWWBYA9R10ZW2W1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,812 of 5,547
Actually, the Voltage of battery indicating that they work optimally between 60-100%. Even at 100% as shown, your battery management circuits will automatically drop the Charge to protect it at industry standards. I can’t see it dropping below 40%. Let alone charging maxed out at 85%.

I would have no problem to replace battery by DIY or by Cayin. But doesn’t keeping the battery low bother you ?

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #1,813 of 5,547
Actually, the Voltage of battery indicating that they work optimally between 60-100%. Even at 100% as shown, your battery management circuits will automatically drop the Charge to protect it at industry standards. I can’t see it dropping below 40%. Let alone charging maxed out at 85%.

I would have no problem to replace battery by DIY or by Cayin. But doesn’t keeping the battery low bother you ?
It would bother me more having to part with my music by being forced to send the DAP for a repair than maxing out the overnight battery charge at 90% which I could get round by giving it an extra shot during the day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back