Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #1,771 of 5,543
Has anyone tried the N8ii with the MDR-Z1R????

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #1,772 of 5,543
I actually just traded my Arya Stealth for the HE1000SE, stealth was easier to drive for my N6ii-RO1 which actually is not as powerful as the N8ii, though stealth is 94db/watt, N8ii drives the Susvara also very well so you would have no problems with the stealth... Enjoy
Oh I was talking about DCA Stealth, which is 86dB so bot as easy to drive as Arya Stealth :wink:

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #1,773 of 5,543
Andd…I just realized why there are hot upper mid and or sizzling trebles. If there are the word of “Unforgiving”. Then there is no one doing as good as the N8ii. It is the best at being “Unforgiving”.

I guess it is a given because it is so transparent with one of the highest resolutions I have come across. No additional colorations. Therefore, chicken poops in = no chicken noodles out. While the N8II helps me enjoy a lot of my collections which I often overlooked, it also reveals what album were badly recorded, especially the vocal and it “windy Z,T,S,X”.

If I thought that previously ESS were unforgiving, then it isn’t anything against the ROHM and N8II 😂.

Also, the N8II is excellent at low volume listening! Amazing! I gotta say. Not only that it still has that crazy dynamic and punchiness, but the airiness, details, extensions of the trebles are not attenuated (this is extremely hard to achieve). Normally it would either be the dynamic or the trebles resolutions or both that would suffer. However, to preserve the trebles body, details and airiness is extremely hard.

Finally, the combination of bad recording together with loud volume = Killer**** the N8II will deliberately spitting into your ears and that you can’t even tolerate it, in a sense that it is asking “you seriously listening to this craps ? Never realized it ? This is how I am going to help you” 😅

Beside that, anyone else is seeing their Korg tubes light dancing on powerful bass ?
We agree on this, I noted this in the initial findings I posted mentioning upper mids but I wouldn't have called unforgiving before I tested a bit more and pushed volume especially on the Elysium this was pretty clear. I am a low volume listener so right at home there with N8ii.

Also most of my collection is of the more organic, smooth kind than the likes of Odin or Noble Katana like IEMs.
Actually N8ii transcends the organic and smooth IEMs and even darker ones.

Penon Volt & Legend have never sounded so lively than with N8ii, same for the darker FIBAE Black, it brings their technicalities two notches by adding energy and air and pushes them to the limit of their resolving power while retaining the fullness, smoothness of their inherent nature. JH Audio Jolene also sings with N8ii.

Even more neutral revealing stuff like the Elysium is perfectly fine with N8ii - I just wished I could go class A with those but P+ is required to drive them properly so class AB and Tubes it is.

What the H, didn't look at NuTubes when listening enough to notice....I'll check this :p
Maybe it's your tired eyes :wink: ?

I know I didn't sleep much thanks to N8ii being such a treat...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #1,774 of 5,543
I find the sound coming out of the N8ii via the OH10s to be nice and thick, really going to try to enjoy it with all my IEM and HPs, besides some F1 and an offspring turning 10 that is, so likely not a lot. I do really like the case the Cayin came with, colour and feel are quite nice.

F89E4B05-4425-45DC-9E45-991DF73868CE.jpeg

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,776 of 5,543
I find the sound coming out of the N8ii via the OH10s to be nice and thick, really going to try to enjoy it with all my IEM and HPs, besides some F1 and an offspring turning 10 that is, so likely not a lot. I do really like the case the Cayin came with, colour and feel are quite nice.

F89E4B05-4425-45DC-9E45-991DF73868CE.jpeg
What's with the tools? You need a soundtrack to do some hunting and/or open a bottle of artisan beer?

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,777 of 5,543
This is Roon for me on the N8ii, haven’t a clue what it all means.

099679B7-89B5-40BF-9542-697DB82C98C8.jpeg
It means your 88.2Khz file is being downsampled to 44.1 because of the Roon app's limitation on Android. Basically you can't listen to any of you music library in Hi-Res format using the Roon app. Apparently there's some workaround using HQPlayer but I don't use Roon myself so someone more experienced might be able to shed more light here.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,779 of 5,543
It means your 88.2Khz file is being downsampled to 44.1 because of the Roon app's limitation on Android. Basically you can't listen to any of you music library in Hi-Res format using the Roon app. Apparently there's some workaround using HQPlayer but I don't use Roon myself so someone more experienced might be able to shed more light here.
yeah, that’s what i figgered, ah well, Roon is good to have as a backup to local, Qobuz and the like.

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #1,780 of 5,543
Andd…I just realized why there are hot upper mid and or sizzling trebles. If there are the word of “Unforgiving”. Then there is no one doing as good as the N8ii. It is the best at being “Unforgiving”.

I guess it is a given because it is so transparent with one of the highest resolutions I have come across. No additional colorations. Therefore, chicken poops in = no chicken noodles out. While the N8II helps me enjoy a lot of my collections which I often overlooked, it also reveals what album were badly recorded, especially the vocal and it “windy Z,T,S,X”.

If I thought that previously ESS were unforgiving, then it isn’t anything against the ROHM and N8II 😂.

Also, the N8II is excellent at low volume listening! Amazing! I gotta say. Not only that it still has that crazy dynamic and punchiness, but the airiness, details, extensions of the trebles are not attenuated (this is extremely hard to achieve). Normally it would either be the dynamic or the trebles resolutions or both that would suffer. However, to preserve the trebles body, details and airiness is extremely hard.

Finally, the combination of bad recording together with loud volume = Killer**** the N8II will deliberately spitting into your ears and that you can’t even tolerate it, in a sense that it is asking “you seriously listening to this craps ? Never realized it ? This is how I am going to help you” 😅

Beside that, anyone else is seeing their Korg tubes light dancing on powerful bass ?

yeah, that’s what i figgered, ah well, Roon is good to have as a backup to local, Qobuz and the like.
I use Roon extensively at home as I have my whole music collection on my Synology NAS. If the 44.1 KHz downsampling limitation bothers you just directly use Tidal or Qobuz app on the Android hence I love this Android implementation on the N8ii. Just opened up a whole new world for us to tinker. Worst still just copy the music file to the microSD and play it local. 1 TGB MicroSD is good enough for me. I do find the sound is still acceptable since MQA works and quality is still good. Otherwise just install an app like HQplayer or Upsampling app and redirect Roon through this. Some apps can upsample to DSD 128 quality. I am not sure if Roon will be certified in the near future. I suspect it means paying them some cash for coding it to get it to convert to higher quality which in turns means the price of the unit might rise in the future.

BTW here is the link to installing the HQplayer. I use a Synology NAS and you can run an VM image on the Synology NAS.

If running as a VM
https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html

On Windows
https://www.signalyst.com/quickstart.html

Roon supports HQPlayer you just type in the IP address of the HQplayer to direct it there via the Roon settings

RoonHQPlayer.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #1,781 of 5,543
I may try this someday, from the previously owned market. For now, I will just keep using Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. I would love it if a non-Andoid, Cayin OS DAP was available. That's definitely the one I would opt for. I don't, nor will I ever stream.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,783 of 5,543
I use Roon extensively at home as I have my whole music collection on my Synology NAS. If the 44.1 KHz downsampling limitation bothers you just directly use Tidal or Qobuz app on the Android hence I love this Android implementation on the N8ii. Just opened up a whole new world for us to tinker. Worst still just copy the music file to the microSD and play it local. 1 TGB MicroSD is good enough for me. I do find the sound is still acceptable since MQA works and quality is still good. Otherwise just install an app like HQplayer or Upsampling app and redirect Roon through this. Some apps can upsample to DSD 128 quality. I am not sure if Roon will be certified in the near future. I suspect it means paying them some cash for coding it to get it to convert to higher quality which in turns means the price of the unit might rise in the future.

BTW here is the link to installing the HQplayer. I use a Synology NAS and you can run an VM image on the Synology NAS.

If running as a VM
https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html

On Windows
https://www.signalyst.com/quickstart.html

Roon supports HQPlayer you just type in the IP address of the HQplayer to direct it there via the Roon settings

i don't mind some Roon coming in like it does now, qobuz, Apple Music, tidal and the local files are quite nice to listen to as well... if I do a proper sit and listen I use a zen stream to a fido k9 pro using roon, works a treat

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,784 of 5,543
Is there any way to check what res of music is playing? Since it’s not listed on the toolbar, first DAP I’ve owned missing that, rather have music quality over what amp I’m in since I can pull down the tool bar and check what amp I’m in but can’t check my music res. Any way to add that to at least the pull down tool bar?
Presuming no full mqa unfolding?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,785 of 5,543
i don't mind some Roon coming in like it does now, qobuz, Apple Music, tidal and the local files are quite nice to listen to as well... if I do a proper sit and listen I use a zen stream to a fido k9 pro using roon, works a treat

Is there any way to check what res of music is playing? Since it’s not listed on the toolbar, first DAP I’ve owned missing that, rather have music quality over what amp I’m in since I can pull down the tool bar and check what amp I’m in but can’t check my music res. Any way to add that to at least the pull down tool bar?
Presuming no full mqa unfolding?
You mean this? Just click into the song.

IMG_2634.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back