Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,411 of 3,873
Top sounding dap, I wished it had no knobs.
i agree,
Aesthetically they look quite nice, but practically they are extremely annoying to use.
first of all the 2 buttons are too big and the case doesn't protect the, therefore most of the time I put the player in my pocket i accidentally touch the control dial, i had to lock it in the setting.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,412 of 3,873
i agree,
Aesthetically they look quite nice, but practically they are extremely annoying to use.
first of all the 2 buttons are too big and the case doesn't protect the, therefore most of the time I put the player in my pocket i accidentally touch the control dial, i had to lock it in the setting.
Some are using their phone to control the N8 while the N8 is in their backpack etc.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,413 of 3,873
Some are using their phone to control the N8 while the N8 is in their backpack etc.

I've been using that too, but not all the time my iPhone connect properly with the N8.
right now i don't have time to dig into the issue.

i'm still extremly happy with the N8, but i really wish it had the buttons like the Lotoo Touch or the Sony WM1Z.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,414 of 3,873
I've been using that too, but not all the time my iPhone connect properly with the N8.
right now i don't have time to dig into the issue.

i'm still extremly happy with the N8, but i really wish it had the buttons like the Lotoo Touch or the Sony WM1Z.
Agree, I tried a few other daps for on the go but they couldnt sound as good as the N8.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,416 of 3,873
What's wrong with the knobs except they look cheap plastic, now that you guys mentioned it. Cayin still hasn't confirmed if they are indeed plastic.
I like big knobs like N8 has it. You wouldn't know how frustrating it is to maneuver tiny buttons on SP1000M without looking at them inside pocket.
R2R2000 doesn't even have the skip buttons, that's another frustrating thing about that device. I have no complain about the buttons on N8 myself but
would like to confirm the material used.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,417 of 3,873
4DFC732D-D3FD-4C46-97F8-3D7DA8D2D01F.jpeg

Cayin N8. Captivating. - Finishing reading yesterdays newspaper, and drinking coffee.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,418 of 3,873
What's wrong with the knobs except they look cheap plastic, now that you guys mentioned it. Cayin still hasn't confirmed if they are indeed plastic.
I like big knobs like N8 has it. You wouldn't know how frustrating it is to maneuver tiny buttons on SP1000M without looking at them inside pocket.
R2R2000 doesn't even have the skip buttons, that's another frustrating thing about that device. I have no complain about the buttons on N8 myself but
would like to confirm the material used.
Nothing.. that’s all they feel cheap.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #1,419 of 3,873
This is great news. Cayin has a great player, because when this forum has deteriorated to complaining about knobs, it’s what’s not being said that’s encouraging. I travel with my work and this week in a -9 deg c climate, coming out of my backpack the knobs are cold, I thought maybe gold plated but who knows, they don’t feel cheap. When I lock the screen I lock them except for volume. Also I tried an experiment. Getting the N8 caused me to investigate and buy the IDAP 6
I noticed the rave reviews all point to the functionality of the HIBY app as being really useful and smooth. I could barely get a stable connection with my IPad, and the N8 is sluggish with my iPhone XS and HIBY. I’m in the US and outside of the US and in Asian markets Samsung and android I believe are way far ahead of Apple and the android platform is more friendly to developers and often you get greater functionality on android so I purchased a Samsung tab a hooked it up to Bluetooth hooked it up to the N8 through Bluetooth and instantly the functionality was as reported on the Internet on most videos using the hiby app very smooth very robust great I can’t wait to go home and try it with the IDAP 6 but I’m now convinced that the HIBY app as a platform is really optimized for Android

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,420 of 3,873
This is great news. Cayin has a great player, because when this forum has deteriorated to complaining about knobs, it’s what’s not being said that’s encouraging. I travel with my work and this week in a -9 deg c climate, coming out of my backpack the knobs are cold, I thought maybe gold plated but who knows, they don’t feel cheap. When I lock the screen I lock them except for volume. Also I tried an experiment. Getting the N8 caused me to investigate and buy the IDAP 6
I noticed the rave reviews all point to the functionality of the HIBY app as being really useful and smooth. I could barely get a stable connection with my IPad, and the N8 is sluggish with my iPhone XS and HIBY. I’m in the US and outside of the US and in Asian markets Samsung and android I believe are way far ahead of Apple and the android platform is more friendly to developers and often you get greater functionality on android so I purchased a Samsung tab a hooked it up to Bluetooth hooked it up to the N8 through Bluetooth and instantly the functionality was as reported on the Internet on most videos using the hiby app very smooth very robust great I can’t wait to go home and try it with the IDAP 6 but I’m now convinced that the HIBY app as a platform is really optimized for Android
I love how the N8 sounds period but its not the easiest dap to take on the go. I take it cause how good it sounds. Im trying to understand what you are saying. Are you saying you can keep your N8 in your pocket or bag and from your phone you can control your N8 ?

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,422 of 3,873
The N8 still sounding great, comparing the N8 to a few TOTL daps and the N8 has something soundwise the others dont have. This post is non sound issues but Turn Off Turn On issue. On two occassions I turned off my N8 and put it in a Pelican Case to hours later noticed the case was hot. The N8 either didnt turn off or somehow the N8 turned on, most likely can be the button touched the side of the case. Last night I used the N8 than made sure three times the N8 was off before placing it in the case. Morning comes, say 12 hrs, I open the case and my N8 was warm and the battery went from 98% to 25%. Obvious the N8 turned on over night. Is there a software to turn it off or turn it on better ? Seems the N8 can easily turn on than turn off.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,424 of 3,873
Horrible pic :
20190118_214037.jpg

I was comparing my N8 with my friends AK1000M and well I greatly prefer the sound from the N8. I do like the physical size of the AK. Pic is showing the artist I used to compare the daps with.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,425 of 3,873
Horrible pic :

I was comparing my N8 with my friends AK1000M and well I greatly prefer the sound from the N8. I do like the physical size of the AK. Pic is showing the artist I used to compare the daps with.

If it wasn't for the green light on the bottom, I would think that is the Darth Vader, Death Star digital audio player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back