Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jan 1, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,381 of 3,873
Would be nice if I could check the amount of battery life remaining on the N8 using the HibyMusic app.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #1,382 of 3,873
We’re making a request list. Nothing extraordinary.

- wallpaper option
- batter percentage using the HibyMusic app

Feel free to copy,add,paste...

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,383 of 3,873
hi everyone

how the cayin n8 drive an hd 820s ? enough power?
i am currently using an alo cdm with shanling m0 to drive my hd820.
i am looking a more convenient gear but wit the capacity to drive an hd820.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #1,386 of 3,873
I am in the market for a new DAP with bluetooth receive mode and N8 is one of the top 3 candidates. It was actually the top candidate until recently but I have two question marks in my mind now:

- I want a good quality DAP, not a desktop device because I am a commuter and often keep the DAP in my bag or pocket (jacket or a warm coat). As I understand N8 get really warm. I had a similar issue with Hugo2 (it gets warm and then shuts down), which was the reason I sold it. I am also kind of scared of damaging the device. Should I be worried?

- Another thing, which is not related to the device directly, is the price policy. Here in EU, I learned that N8 was being sold for €2K recently and the same shop just bumped up the price to €3.5K now. I mean, why is that? I can understand a difference of €500 but 75% increase? I have to say, this price policy just turned me off from buying the N8.

- Because of these two points, I am now considering the WM1Z again, which is being sold for €2.6K new and there is a second hand market for it, too, and has the vinyl mode which can be compared to the nutube of N8, but without the heat. Can anyone here convince me for N8 instead of 1Z? What are the points that makes the N8 winner over 1Z?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,387 of 3,873
I received my Cayin N8 1 week ago and this DAP is sounding so great !
It's not warming as much as I expected and that's a good thing.

My only disappointment is the poor quality of the physical buttons ... poor plastic quality and they don't seem to be very toughly built.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,388 of 3,873
I received my Cayin N8 1 week ago and this DAP is sounding so great !
It's not warming as much as I expected and that's a good thing.

My only disappointment is the poor quality of the physical buttons ... poor plastic quality and they don't seem to be very toughly built.
Yes, one of the best sounding daps. Im using it on the go 3 hrs everyday. I wished it had no buttons so its easier to carry around. Ok, its the best sounding dap.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,389 of 3,873
I had a Sony WM1Z and that was also a great sounding DAP. Actually, I don't have a very clear idea of which one sounds the best but both are great challengers. The battery life and the loading time of the Sony are missing me but the WiFi and Hiby Music are very strong advantages of the N8. I suppose that, in the future, we may hope for Android App integration in the OS of the N8 ?

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,390 of 3,873
I had a Sony WM1Z and that was also a great sounding DAP. Actually, I don't have a very clear idea of which one sounds the best but both are great challengers. The battery life and the loading time of the Sony are missing me but the WiFi and Hiby Music are very strong advantages of the N8. I suppose that, in the future, we may hope for Android App integration in the OS of the N8 ?

I guess depends on the processor power. Andoid itself is a quite inefficient system. I could not find anything about the processor of the N8 but I suppose a customised Linux system (N8 has a custom Linux, right?) would take as much time as an Android to develop (maybe a bit shorter), and they chose to go for base Linux rather than an Android system (which is also a Linux system in the core).

I frankly don't think that Android should be a requirement for a music player, because the mobile phones today have much bigger screen and are much more responsive, as they have very strong processors. For a streaming service I would rather have the control on my mobile phone than on the DAP, and a wireless DAC (maybe with a very simple screen to control the EQ and effects) functionaity on the player. I even think that on board flash memory is also a waste. I would rather give that space to a second SD card slot and only limit the on board flash to OS rather than music data. That could also drop the cost of the device.

I think FiiO Q5 and even R2R2000 are steps into right direction, although I find Q5 not having the detail level I would like to have (and no LDAC receive mode) and R2R2K not customizable enough (e.g. no parametric EQ).

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,392 of 3,873
I thought the gold buttons are metal parts. Are they really plastic? Hard to tell..can Cayin confirm?
Maybe he meant the one on the front, the one you press to return home.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,394 of 3,873
I am in the market for a new DAP with bluetooth receive mode and N8 is one of the top 3 candidates. It was actually the top candidate until recently but I have two question marks in my mind now:

- I want a good quality DAP, not a desktop device because I am a commuter and often keep the DAP in my bag or pocket (jacket or a warm coat). As I understand N8 get really warm. I had a similar issue with Hugo2 (it gets warm and then shuts down), which was the reason I sold it. I am also kind of scared of damaging the device. Should I be worried?

- Another thing, which is not related to the device directly, is the price policy. Here in EU, I learned that N8 was being sold for €2K recently and the same shop just bumped up the price to €3.5K now. I mean, why is that? I can understand a difference of €500 but 75% increase? I have to say, this price policy just turned me off from buying the N8.

- Because of these two points, I am now considering the WM1Z again, which is being sold for €2.6K new and there is a second hand market for it, too, and has the vinyl mode which can be compared to the nutube of N8, but without the heat. Can anyone here convince me for N8 instead of 1Z? What are the points that makes the N8 winner over 1Z?

Thanks all.

Ever thought of DX200 ? There will be a Korg NU Tubes amp Module release soon. Keeping the devices inside the pocket will make everything warm, when you are asking for performances. For example, my Note 8 will get over heated if I play a game on bot run, and leave it in my jacket...it would shut down.

If keeping things in your pocket is a must, then WM series Walkman 1A/Z is the best choice

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,395 of 3,873
You guys crack me up... even so, just enjoy the damn thing it sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back