Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Dec 25, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,366 of 3,873
Cayin N8 DAP just received the Best Portable Player (Price no objection) award from Headfonia. This is a wonderful Christmas gift to our N8 users.

headfonia_award_2018_blacktext_withBackground.jpg

I only recently reviewed the Cayin N8 and it went straight to the recommended DAP list. Now in addition to that it’s also getting the award for Best DAP in the PNO category. A well deserved spot as the N8 brings you top quality sound and no less then 3 different sound signatures in one compact package. And then there’s the introduction of a vacuum tube in a DAP… Well deserved. (Lieven, Chief Editor of Headfonia)

https://www.headfonia.com/blog-2018-awards/

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 26, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,369 of 3,873
I’m using it but am careful, thought maybe when I apply the screen protector might snug it a bit, but that’s unrealistic! But better with than without it increases the grip upright!
Right, i just figure paying this much we’d get a case that fits snug. Odd reviews don’t mention this.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #1,371 of 3,873
Does it make sense to buy onenif you already own Z1/SP1000/SR15/zx2 etc??

Will drive Utopia,hd800,th900,z7,Encores...

(Not printing money, working very hard to earn them)

From your list of headphone you owned.

It worth sold some of your player since this N8 can drive the your headphone with almost enough juice but it may not work well

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,372 of 3,873
just in case you might have missed it, the boxing18 code did apply to the cayin n8 for -15% @Advancedmp3players.co.uk

did anyone jump on it? >:-]]

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,373 of 3,873
Cayin N8 DAP just received the Best DAP For 2018 award from Headfonics after their extremely comprehensive review on our reference DAP.
https://headfonics.com/2018/12/our-top-gear-for-2018/
https://headfonics.com/2018/12/cayin-n8-review/

49110931_237071783853413_97843413746974720_n.png

The N8 rightfully takes its chair at the TOTL digital media player table. Not because it is one of the best sounding players out there but simply because they dared to do something different and something that has not been done before in a DAP.
Tube output has always been a dream of mine in a DAP ...... . Not only has Cayin made it happen, but they also did it in a very modern way and delivered something which I think it is rather special sounding.
It has so much more also than just a tube amp DAP. This is the TOTL DAP for you if you want something that caters to both monitor, headphone AND system desktop integration without spending a penny beyond what is already in the box. It is a complete almost HiFi-like vision and the complete source package in that respect.
(Marcus, Owner and Editor of Headfonics)

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,374 of 3,873
Cayin N8 DAP just received the Best DAP For 2018 award from Headfonics after their extremely comprehensive review on our reference DAP.
https://headfonics.com/2018/12/our-top-gear-for-2018/
https://headfonics.com/2018/12/cayin-n8-review/

The N8 rightfully takes its chair at the TOTL digital media player table. Not because it is one of the best sounding players out there but simply because they dared to do something different and something that has not been done before in a DAP.
Tube output has always been a dream of mine in a DAP ...... . Not only has Cayin made it happen, but they also did it in a very modern way and delivered something which I think it is rather special sounding.
It has so much more also than just a tube amp DAP. This is the TOTL DAP for you if you want something that caters to both monitor, headphone AND system desktop integration without spending a penny beyond what is already in the box. It is a complete almost HiFi-like vision and the complete source package in that respect.
(Marcus, Owner and Editor of Headfonics)

Listening to it right now with NightOwl headphones, and I agree completely with Marcus. The N8 ought to stand tall and proud among the TOTL crowd. It's a special device.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,375 of 3,873
just in case you might have missed it, the boxing18 code did apply to the cayin n8 for -15% @Advancedmp3players.co.uk

did anyone jump on it? >:-]]
If you live in Channel Islands, you can buy it just for £1,775.98 without tax from @Advancedmp3players.co.uk by using the code.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,375 of 3,873

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,377 of 3,873
Hi, Andy, I've just found a strange UI bug after 2.1 firmware OTA upgrade: system and sound settings disappeared from quick-access shortcut. But if I tap to the blank space (under About) I can get system or sound settings.

5b3b48cbec88851aa230f8824328979f.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,378 of 3,873
Hi, Andy, I've just found a strange UI bug after 2.1 firmware OTA upgrade: system and sound settings disappeared from quick-access shortcut. But if I tap to the blank space (under About) I can get system or sound settings.

5b3b48cbec88851aa230f8824328979f.jpg
It isn't a bug, they updated the interface where they relocated the Music Setting and System Setting options from the pull-down menu to a newly created pull-up menu from the bottom of the screen.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,379 of 3,873
To Andy Kong, So I've been doing a lot of reading of your original posts re: the Cayin N8 and other documents I have re: a home stereo system I set up last year. My home stereo includes a turntable, a KEF Powered Speaker set-up, and a HIgh-end DAC connected to an iPad, via CCK and USB Input to the DAC; and sent to the KEF's via the Analog input. The DAC serves as my main interface to the speakers. I am avoiding giving much details about brands and formats, as their are a myriad of ways to connect audio, and my question is specific to the Cayin N8. SOOO, while I intend to use the N8 portably, as a pristine mobile audio set-up; if I want to incorporate it into my system, keeping the DAC in place; I see 2 major options. USB-C to USB-B and USB-C Coaxial to a RCA Coax input. Saw your comments in detailed posts, re: USB being an option but Coax, being preferred by some due to isolation from noise. Of course sample formats are also a consideration. Here are my questions:
USB-C connection to USB-B: I read in the manual that you can toggle USB DAC and USB Audio. While in DAC mode, the N8 may actually charge while functioning my guess as a media source. I think this is desirable; so do you think it would charge when connected to the DAC input? I'm asking b/c I don't have all the cables I need to test. What is the dvrrence between USB-DAC and Audio, in terms of what the N8 is doing, and charging.
I saw the cautions re: not playing while charging and was wondering if this only applies to the Headphones.
USB-C connection Coax to DAC RCA Coax...would the N8 charge if this was the way it connected to the DAC? This seems like it may be the ideal set-up, but obviously if you used the N8, as part of a home stereo, it would be nice being able to have it be a meadia source, not overtax it as a player or DAC, and have it off battery? These are all my questions, thanks for any help and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back