Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #1,021 of 3,873
My only issue with the case is that it makes the pull down menu usage hard.

We have created a half-circle touch sensing zone at the middle of the screen adjacent to the top edge, if you try to pull down from the side, it's a bit difficult, but should be easier if you try to pull out the menu right at the middle. Probably not well informed to walk-iin customers, but owners probably will get used to this quickly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,022 of 3,873
Chris, yes, 10 band EQ is there (+/-12 dB adjustment), and 8 genre specific presets which can be tweaked further. Back has Gorilla glass, while I'm not 100% sure about the front, maybe Andy can confirm. I honestly don't think anybody going to carry N8 without a case (case is included) since it's a larger size 386g DAP that you can drop easily without a case enhancing the grip. So, I wouldn't worry about the back panel fingerprints. I don't think the N8 loaner I have got screen protector on, and I do see some fingerprints on the front screen.

Thanks.

If it has a tempered glass protector prints should be less an issue.

As a big fan of Vinyl, Analogue warm tube sound the tube setting intrigues me

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,023 of 3,873
Just came from A1futureshop, which is only less than an hour away from me. N8 is a hot commodity and finding it this closeby me is just a little surreal.
I'll keep it short, the 1.1 FW has reduced the warmth sonic characteristic of the 4.4mm out.
The key sonic characteristic of N8 is how good the vocal timbre of various audiophile recording can sound. However, for me, the key feature of this DAP is the 3.5mm NuTube output. It soundstage is very natural and mature, something that one expects from a high-end tube setup. Sadly the ting noise that I hear from my NT-1 is still audible, I think it is something that plagues the Nu-Tube and is basically part of it, and just requires a lot of fine-tuning to illuminate completely.
The 4.4mm was also noisy but it is basically inaudible once music is playing.
Overall feeling regarding size: Do I like the N8 or the LPGT? Well, they are both too heavy to be something I consider feasible for daily commuting. N8 gets warm and I suspect it can get too warm for a tropical region. LPGT while still smaller and slightly lighter also isn't small enough for me to consider a feasible player for daily commuting. Basically, the only size I think is feasible for portable usage is DAP the size of AK120.
LPGT is basically the best Solid-State DAP out which has an excellent single ended and Pentaconn output. Ihas a lot of power and a slight tilt towards the warmer side and power to drive anything.

Who would want N8: Those who like the sound of the naturalness of tube amp without sounding too wet, or 'tubey', will love the N8. There isn't out there that does what N8 does. So if that is the sound you like you only have one and for now only one choice, the N8.
The price: Is it worth it? Who can say, for me sadly no? Despite how much I like the sound, and how capable it is, for the same reason, I did not like the SP1000 family, they are too big to be portable, and they cost the same as HUGOII which is basically on a different level than all the current high-end DAPs in the market. If you can carry the N8 or the LPGT or anything else of that size, you can easily carry the HUGO II and just use your phone, which now-days everyone has.
If Cayin can release a new dap, a simpler version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube section, and price it in the more affordable region I will revisit this family, but at the price of the 4499 AUD (3200 USD) my money goes to HUGO II and use the spare cash and buy myself a decent IEM/headphone or better music albums.

My current favourite DAP: I find WM1A the best value, it has this holographic sound that I don't hear in any other dap. It is also not as portable as I like it to be but after the latest FW update for me, it has become the best value/feature packed DAP an audiophile can ask for. But my current reference DAP is still LPG which is slowly getting replaced by QLS QA361 which basically a DAP that an audiophile designs who happen to be an engineer.

Edit: I do not own the HUGO II, I'm prefectly happy with my first gen HUGO, and I disliked and own Chord Mojo, N8 sounds much better than Mojo.

Thanks for that.

I just got the NT-1 a couple weeks ago (loving it) and was wondering how Cayin's implementation of the Nutube compares. Would love to get an N8 since it does so much more but can't justify spending that much.

I'm also looking at the QA361 and agree a less expensive, scaled-down Cayin player with the Nutube could be great.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,024 of 3,873
Thanks for that.

I just got the NT-1 a couple weeks ago (loving it) and was wondering how Cayin's implementation of the Nutube compares. Would love to get an N8 since it does so much more but can't justify spending that much.

I'm also looking at the QA361 and agree a less expensive, scaled-down Cayin player with the Nutube could be great.

I wish I can tell as I can't separate the DAC part from the amp. As a package, NT-1+LPG Lineout sounds more engaging and sharper and less natural compared to N8 which is more holographic, natural and analog sounding. i'm sure the NuTube part of the N8 is great but the digital part of it certainly helps which makes requesting a stand-alone amp section of N8 tube section a silly question as it will not sound like N8.

I honestly can't wait and see if Cayin can somehow release a cheaper version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube part, with only one DAC chip, get rid of the SS part and use the extra space to perhaps add another N8 or shrink it and just have the NuTube in there. I don't know, just a thought.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,025 of 3,873
I wish I can tell as I can't separate the DAC part from the amp. As a package, NT-1+LPG Lineout sounds more engaging and sharper and less natural compared to N8 which is more holographic, natural and analog sounding. i'm sure the NuTube part of the N8 is great but the digital part of it certainly helps which makes requesting a stand-alone amp section of N8 tube section a silly question as it will not sound like N8.

I honestly can't wait and see if Cayin can somehow release a cheaper version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube part, with only one DAC chip, get rid of the SS part and use the extra space to perhaps add another N8 or shrink it and just have the NuTube in there. I don't know, just a thought.

True, it's difficult to compare an all-in-one player to a standalone amp that gets paired with any number of sources.

However, with so few audiophile Nutube products available (the discontinued $2K Apex Sangaku is only other one I can think of), comparisons aren't unreasonable.

Yeah, if Cayin could find a way to do dual Nutubes with balanced out on a dedicated, more streamlined player (under $1K) it'd be a must buy for me. Other than (perhaps) size, battery life would be the biggest hurdle.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,026 of 3,873
True, it's difficult to compare an all-in-one player to a standalone amp that gets paired with any number of sources.

Yeah, if Cayin could find a way to do dual Nutubes with balanced out on a dedicated, more streamlined player (under $1K) it'd be a must buy for me. Other than (perhaps) size, battery life would be the biggest hurdle.
I think dual NuTube will create too much heat and use too much power. I truly feel a nicely designed single ended will be a lot better than a balance out forsake of staying in the game. In the two times, I listen to N8 I liked the 3.5mm out more than its balance out, or the balance out of a lot of other players. It was this reason why i wanted to buy one.

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,027 of 3,873
I think dual NuTube will create too much heat and use too much power. I truly feel a nicely designed single ended will be a lot better than a balance out forsake of staying in the game. In the two times, I listen to N8 I liked the 3.5mm out more than its balance out, or the balance out of a lot of other players. It was this reason why i wanted to buy one.
Yes, like the Calyx M DAP managed to do with its only SE output that sounded great. Focusing on one output and doing that „right“ with holding the price down.

Edit: but nowadays everyone wants everything in on device, so the price (and weight) goes up

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,028 of 3,873
Yes, like the Calyx M DAP managed to do with its only SE output that sounded great. Focusing on one output and doing that „right“ with holding the price down.

Edit: but nowadays everyone wants everything in on device, so the price (and weight) goes up

Calyx M

My favorite DAP in terms of sound ever. No balanced no EQ, slow, small album art on a large screen, heavy...lots of things but sound is awesome.
If N8 sounds better than that in SE I will burn my balanced cables in a big fire and dance around the flames naked screaming awful awful things

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,029 of 3,873
Calyx M

My favorite DAP in terms of sound ever. No balanced no EQ, slow, small album art on a large screen, heavy...lots of things but sound is awesome.
If N8 sounds better than that in SE I will burn my balanced cables in a big fire and dance around the flames naked screaming awful awful things
Curious - how does Calyx M stack up against your current favourites? Do you still use it or are you going from memory?

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,030 of 3,873
Curious - how does Calyx M stack up against your current favourites? Do you still use it or are you going from memory?

First one was a loaner.
I have another now :)

Every time I read "Sabre glare" I laugh.
Warmest most musical DAP I have heard and it has a...... Sabre. Putting too much thought into DAC chips in a good or bad way is ignoring the immense influence of all the other components and design of the board. As I type this not sure what N8 has but tubes? That gives me warm, vinyl, musical "feelings", so I am interested :).

Calyx M or OPUS with the real metal chassis and different opamps from original OPUS would be my 2nd fave. I have an affinity for warm detail rich replay....apparently :)

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,032 of 3,873
I like what I'm reading about this dap. If only I could afford it!

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,033 of 3,873
Just saw MusicTeck posted about N8 available in stock, and their FB post says that you can request an audition, assuming a loaner to hear it?

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,035 of 3,873
I know we joked about it before, but it actually has a nice ring to it, (N8)^2, and a nice synergy too :D

cayin_n8-x04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back