Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #226 of 3,873
May 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #228 of 3,873
Sp1000 is all about upper-midrange and treble, to me it is all about detail and in no way a natural sounding dap.

To me the most natural sounding dap is calyx m, valoq, wm1z and followed by LPG and wm1a. Calyx M is the most dynamic sounding of them all, and best value is wm1a.
WM1Z and WM1A balanced or single ended? I found the Balanced on the WM1Z to be warm but the single ended was more neutral and natural to my ears. Oddly the complete opposite is true when I tried the WM1A, the balanced was more neutral but the SE was warm. The only one I would even begin to describe as natural is the single ended output on the WM1Z.

(Just to clarify, my definition of natural is based on my perspective as a performer (I play piano) , a listener will have a warmer perspective of natural.)

Don't know, I have the SP1000Cu and has a warm signature, more focused on mid and bass than treble, vocals are reproduced magnificently, but I understand that not everybody likes that kind of signature.
Sounds like the general signature of the WM1A/WM1Z.

May 10, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #229 of 3,873
If Nutube is placed in a boarding PCB it will greatly help with the noise, almost to the point that it will never produce any noise.

I think what is special about N8 is that they use the nutube to power the single ended portion and they use the SS to power the balance portion. This way they have two possibly distinct sound in one unit. We all know we get sick of DAP sound eventually and this is a very innovative way to deal with such things.

Now what I like to know of the nutube can act like a preamp, a sort of hybrid design, that would be awesome.

Great that solid-state or tube output can be used but nonsense if the Nutube is bypassed during balanced output. Why claim all-out design if we can't get balanced, tube output?

I know there's not enough room for dual Nutubes but does that also mean one of the DAC chips is bypassed for single-ended use (i.e. one AKM4497 chip used for SE and the other for balanced; notice the N8 press release says two chipsets instead of 'dual')?

May 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #230 of 3,873
Great that solid-state or tube output can be used but nonsense if the Nutube is bypassed during balanced output. Why claim all-out design if we can't get balanced, tube output?

I know there's not enough room for dual Nutubes but does that also mean one of the DAC chips is bypassed for single-ended use (i.e. one AKM4497 chip used for SE and the other for balanced; notice the N8 press release says two chipsets instead of 'dual')?
LOL thats not how it works.

The same DAC can output their signal to different Amps. You don't see daps using a separate DAC for line out do you? :wink:

The Nutube is one board and the solid state Amps are another board.

Edit : I do admit that not having the Nutubes available for balanced out is a shame though. I had hoped the bottom switch would be to switch between one board and another.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #231 of 3,873
Hmmm

DEXATI20180511003956.png

May 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #232 of 3,873
Don't know, I have the SP1000Cu and has a warm signature, more focused on mid and bass than treble, vocals are reproduced magnificently, but I understand that not everybody likes that kind of signature.
Yes the same here , my Sp1000 cu is on warm side, maybe he is refering to the SS version , the sound is awsome, natural? is the 1Z natural ? what is natural? it changes with every iem you listen,..

May 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #233 of 3,873
Yes the same here , my Sp1000 cu is on warm side, maybe he is refering to the SS version , the sound is awsome, natural? is the 1Z natural ? what is natural? it changes with every iem you listen,..
I should have clarified, i tried the SP1000SS which was the first one released directly with LPG. I did try the Cu later on but never side by side with SS, still pretty much the same tonality.

May 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #234 of 3,873

Yes, cables and iems affect the sound signature too, I never use the term natural since for me sounds very subjective, what is natural to me can sound different to someone else.

I prefer the terms warm, neutral or cold or bright (this last one especially for iems).

take a looks at this thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dap-score-chart.874423/

May 10, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #235 of 3,873
Yes, cables and iems affect the sound signature too, I never use the term natural since for me sounds very subjective, what is natural to me can sound different to someone else.

I prefer the terms warm, neutral or cold or bright (this last one especially for iems).

take a looks at this thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dap-score-chart.874423/
Natural means that it is just right, not too warm, not too cold yet not necessarily neutral.

So far I think neutral with a hint of warmth fits the bill the best.

May 10, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #236 of 3,873
May 10, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #240 of 3,873
I haven’t seen any prices, but I’m afraid the N8 will be more expensive than the SE100.

Well, Andy did say it was their cost-is-no-object design. And, like the old saying goes, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back