Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #3,151 of 3,873
Did you get UAT working Vitaly? And if so, what phone are you using?

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #3,152 of 3,873
@jmills8

Unfortunately I cannot eq with N8 while I am in bluetooth mode. And in 1z I could it works.

I tried all features and no eq on N8 only if played local files (

Without Eq N8 sound very good and I dont feel the need of eq actually.

I also did test for interferences and bluetooth reliability. Also hiss test

1 N8 has only 1 interference and that is wifi 2.4 ghz. I did put my phone right on top of n8 and played with the connections. No bluetooth no wifi 5ghz no gsm lte interferences just wifi 2.4ghz. If you put your phone at a distance of 30cm then there absolutely no more interferences.

Bluetooth isnt really strong point of N8 in comparison wm1z is very solid always straight and uncut connection.
On N8 I experienced some cut off and 1 weird thing is when screen is off and I turn it on it pauses the sound and then resumes for 1 second. Thats quiet annoying.
If sit and operated with screen off and just knobs no issues, could still have some occasional bluetooth cutoff. It sounds like a click or a very fast cut off.

The N8 is on same level in hiss department as wm1z, maybe just a 1 or 2 % more hiss. Overall very quiet and youl never get bothered by it.

Tomorrow Il test some dsd and flacs then could test some filters and eq features of the n8. Cause it aint fonctional in bluetooth mode
In my case , I only use the N8 to play the music I bought and put onto the SD card. For this purpose its my favorite sounding dap. For the other ways of listening to music I bet there are better devices.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #3,153 of 3,873
So far, I have been expecting this :). Keep the impression going.

A question though, what “hiss king references IEMS” are you using to test hiss ?

I ask so to avoid bumping into them. Hisses can come from either the IEMS or the DAP or both, but I rather eliminate the IEMS first and foremost

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #3,154 of 3,873
@jmills8

Unfortunately I cannot eq with N8 while I am in bluetooth mode. And in 1z I could it works.

I tried all features and no eq on N8 only if played local files (

Without Eq N8 sound very good and I dont feel the need of eq actually.

I also did test for interferences and bluetooth reliability. Also hiss test

1 N8 has only 1 interference and that is wifi 2.4 ghz. I did put my phone right on top of n8 and played with the connections. No bluetooth no wifi 5ghz no gsm lte interferences just wifi 2.4ghz. If you put your phone at a distance of 30cm then there absolutely no more interferences.

Bluetooth isnt really strong point of N8 in comparison wm1z is very solid always straight and uncut connection.
On N8 I experienced some cut off and 1 weird thing is when screen is off and I turn it on it pauses the sound and then resumes for 1 second. Thats quiet annoying.
If sit and operated with screen off and just knobs no issues, could still have some occasional bluetooth cutoff. It sounds like a click or a very fast cut off.

The N8 is on same level in hiss department as wm1z, maybe just a 1 or 2 % more hiss. Overall very quiet and youl never get bothered by it.

Tomorrow Il test some dsd and flacs then could test some filters and eq features of the n8. Cause it aint fonctional in bluetooth mode

I have been looking at both WM1Z and N8 recently, aiming to picking either one of them.

Have demo both units but on separate locations, so not really an AB test.

I did like the bass of 1z when I tried it few weeks ago, but somehow when I test drove it again a week later the magic feeling gone. I did AB my DX228 on the spot, and found 1z bass spectrum is at least 1 to 2 notch above DX228.

Then I tried a N8 BB last week, and found the 4.4 sounds magical to me. Did a AB of the 3.5 tube and DX229 and don't really feel the tube sound superior by much. Instead play the HD800s with 4.4, and found it simply lose time with the music.

Guess I will be a good boy and surrender for a N8 BB next week. No point to fight my urge of enjoying the music, especially after hearing the sad sudden demise of Kobe. Gotta enjoy our life coz we never know when will be our last day....

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #3,155 of 3,873
I have been looking at both WM1Z and N8 recently, aiming to picking either one of them.

Have demo both units but on separate locations, so not really an AB test.

I did like the bass of 1z when I tried it few weeks ago, but somehow when I test drove it again a week later the magic feeling gone. I did AB my DX228 on the spot, and found 1z bass spectrum is at least 1 to 2 notch above DX228.

Then I tried a N8 BB last week, and found the 4.4 sounds magical to me. Did a AB of the 3.5 tube and DX229 and don't really feel the tube sound superior by much. Instead play the HD800s with 4.4, and found it simply lose time with the music.

Guess I will be a good boy and surrender for a N8 BB next week. No point to fight my urge of enjoying the music, especially after hearing the sad sudden demise of Kobe. Gotta enjoy our life coz we never know when will be our last day....

The world is full of sorrow when Kobe left us suddenly, but I didn't expect this will motivate you to jump onboard.

Bty the way, besides HD800S, do you have any other full size headphones? How often do you use your DAP for IEM vs full size headphone?

IMHO while N8 and N8BB is one of the best portable DAP when you need to use it for 300 ohm full size headphones, but it won't do justice for your HD800S because it demands and deserves a better headphone amp, so better think twice if HD800S is your main headphone. Alternatively, you can add a portable headphone to the chain, For instance, I think N6ii with A01 or T01, using 3.5mm line out to "transportable" amplifier such as Xiaudio Boardway S (Single-ended) will beat N8 at a lower budget if HD800S is your main headphone. :L3000:

But if you spend most of your time with IEM and/or portable-friendly headphones, then N8 is the way to go. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,156 of 3,873
This. Took delivery of Beyer T1.2 the other day, now looking for a desktop amp for the BB to feed.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #3,157 of 3,873
This. Took delivery of Beyer T1.2 the other day, now looking for a desktop amp for the BB to feed.

Always state a budget when you ask for suggestion in HeadFi, otherwise you'll end up with suggestions like Cayin HA-300 or Headamp GS-X2. :beerchug:

Do you need a battery mode with your new desktop amp.? That is, do you need to move around within the house, or a frequent traveller wanted to bring your N8 and T1.2 out in your business trips?

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,158 of 3,873
@Andykong , since we are talking about possible desktop amp options, any chance you could offer some brief impressions on the upcoming HA-6A and how it compares to the HA300? The single chassis HA6A is quite tempting. Btw, is it safe to assume that the HA6A would have a lower noise floor than the HA300?

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3,159 of 3,873
@Andykong sorry Andy, wasn't looking for suggestions, just merely stating that my 600ohm beyers could maybe do with some stronger grunt than the N8 pushes out!

I've got to drive Ra-c-cu with it as well so solaris and V280 are top of the list. N8 is probably the best DAP pairing for RA, should I look to cayin desktop as an alternative? Don't need pre, purely HP.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,160 of 3,873
The world is full of sorrow when Kobe left us suddenly, but I didn't expect this will motivate you to jump onboard.

Bty the way, besides HD800S, do you have any other full size headphones? How often do you use your DAP for IEM vs full size headphone?

IMHO while N8 and N8BB is one of the best portable DAP when you need to use it for 300 ohm full size headphones, but it won't do justice for your HD800S because it demands and deserves a better headphone amp, so better think twice if HD800S is your main headphone. Alternatively, you can add a portable headphone to the chain, For instance, I think N6ii with A01 or T01, using 3.5mm line out to "transportable" amplifier such as Xiaudio Boardway S (Single-ended) will beat N8 at a lower budget if HD800S is your main headphone. :L3000:

But if you spend most of your time with IEM and/or portable-friendly headphones, then N8 is the way to go. :beerchug:

Thanks for your input, Andy.

I m not really a Headphone guy, just happen to have a HD800S at home, which is seldom used with my SPK and DX228 as I found the my are not powerful enough to drive 800S fully. And I m not in the desktop setup area (unless I can find a place to stay away from my wife :beyersmile:).

Mya daily IEM is A18t, with M5 onboarding soon. Think all the TOTL or even mid-fi DAPs have no problem to drive IEM nowadays. I just found I enjoy the sound when I plug the HD800S in the N8 4.4 output. Probably not at its best, but I did enjoy the sound, compared to the time when I used SPK/228 to drive it.

I do have a ifi micro iCan SE which I find it drive 800s beautifully, but seldom have the playtime as I am a CIEM user most of the time.

P.S. Kobe' demise is just a sad reminder for me to not thinking too much, and just try to live and enjoy our life. My decision to purchase a N8 BB would be based on whether I enjoy the sound, but without some pushing factors, I may keep on dragging between 1z and N8, and may even use 200max as an excuse to referring my decision. It maybe part of the fun of this hobby, but somehow gotta draw the line somewhere...

Just my 2 cents

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #3,161 of 3,873
It is Day 2 for me I been listening to N8 ss and wm1z all day long and doing intensive A/B and I am now at the end of the day. I have to say, it is extremely hard to decide and call a winner here, they are both very good. So good that practically can keep both lmao.

My problem is I cannot pick a winner because, in some songs 1z wins and others n8 ss. But overall I feel N8 has an edge if we consider it has a cleaner approach to the sound.

N8 ss and wm1z has same treble pretty much, maybe 1z has mini more sparkle but not hugely more, so I call the treble challenge equal.

Mids are a little different , when I think mids I think of voices, N8 ss offer a more natural and life like approach here so N8 ss wins.

Lows, hilariously hard challenge here. I am really big fan and enthusiast of exquisite and best bass reproduction. N8 and 1z are very different in this segment. The biggest change I feel right away is that n8 ss offer a lighter more airier bass with better elegance and more pleasing timbre, its very natural feel, yes it goes as deep as 1z for me.

wm1z bass is darker very thick and lushy, somehow I perceive wm1z bass to be slightly artificial and feels like an software bass like not as natural and beautiful as on n8 ss. 1z has something that n8 ss dont, somehow I also feel wm1z to be more vibrational and riply in sound waves. It feels more stronger punch making sound waves to be more aggressive a little and dynamic. ( this can be an advantage and disadvantage on different tracks )
Advantage in Edm music and a disadvantage in natural music, like live recordings concerts or instruments or orchestra....

I think it really comes down to what you really listen to and or your preferred sound signature, I think if you like more natural and life like signature N8 ss or maybe BB is a better choice. While 1z is also very good but I think it colors and darkens the sound a little to much, its very thick and lushy in bass specially.

I am Still undecided on what to do its a very hard decision, I like both so far.
I would like also to add , that wm1z is a better build dap, I dont know if its my demo unit of n8 but it has wobbly buttons like they are not stiff there is a loose in all of them...

Bluetooth seems to be much more reliable on day 2 testings so far so good, only that annoying pause in music for a sec when you turn the screen back on.

Hiss-- It does slightly hiss more then wm1z so supper sentitive iems beware, like andromeda or phantoms. Its not really audible but It can be heard on dead quiet passages lets say. I use Tia Trio so its very good barely any hiss.
@Whitigir

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,163 of 3,873
Get your WM1Z modified :wink: @Vitaly2017

or buy both, and move different music into different players so you grab them accordingly :D

Hehe I though of that , the Kmode for 1z but with plussound gold plated silver cable instead.... This should maybe remove that bass flavor that sony has set to it. I bet Its the reason why they use the kimbercable cause sony like that sound :)

wm1z also has a blacker background feel it add a different sound perceptions more intimate a little

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,164 of 3,873
@Andykong , since we are talking about possible desktop amp options, any chance you could offer some brief impressions on the upcoming HA-6A and how it compares to the HA300? The single chassis HA6A is quite tempting. Btw, is it safe to assume that the HA6A would have a lower noise floor than the HA300?

I only heard HA-6A pre-production demo unit in several exhibitions, so I can't comment on the noise level of HA-6A.

The HA-6A vs HA-300 is a desktop version of N6ii vs N8, the HA-6A is more versatile because you have more tube rolling options, and the UL/TR mode selection offers another multiply on sound signature, but the HA-300 just sound better after all. :beerchug:

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,165 of 3,873
@Andykong sorry Andy, wasn't looking for suggestions, just merely stating that my 600ohm beyers could maybe do with some stronger grunt than the N8 pushes out!

I've got to drive Ra-c-cu with it as well so solaris and V280 are top of the list. N8 is probably the best DAP pairing for RA, should I look to cayin desktop as an alternative? Don't need pre, purely HP.

Definitely, you probably noticed that I am not a big fan of using N8 with high impedance full size headphones. A lot of users feedback favourably on the N8/HD800S combination, I could have sell more N8 if I just let snowball continue to roll. :dt880smile:

I don't recommend driving Solaris with desktop amplifier, Ra-C-Cu probably can works out, but good luck in finding a desktop amplifier that can handle 600ohm T1 and Campfire Solaris satisfactory at the same time. The 5 gain stage design in Violectric is an option, but I would say this is workable rather then an excellent combo for your T1. If budget allowed, go for N8 for your Ra-C-Cu and Solaris and then add a desktop amplifier purely for T1 and whatever headphone that you are considering. Cayin iHA-6 is an excellent choice at limited dekstop budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back