Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Dec 20, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,911 of 3,873
Many in HK prefers transparent and they prefer the BB.

But that Ldac is only available in BB ...

Does your SS can do bluetooth dac with Ldac?
Or you didn't updated it?

Dont know maybe BB clarity is a good thing?

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,912 of 3,873
@Vitaly2017 BB is 100% the same as the SS electronically and feature wise, the only difference is the material used for the shell as far as I know...

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #2,914 of 3,873
@Vitaly2017 BB is 100% the same as the SS electronically and feature wise, the only difference is the material used for the shell as far as I know...

I looked in parameters specification in cayin site
And
I can see that SS has no Ldac and BB does....

Other then that no difference.

How come brass is more neutral???
SS should be no? Isnt brass like a copper or gold warmer sound?

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #2,915 of 3,873
But that Ldac is only available in BB ...

Does your SS can do bluetooth dac with Ldac?
Or you didn't updated it?

Dont know maybe BB clarity is a good thing?
Same

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,916 of 3,873

Then N8 SS is even cheaper in that case by 150$!
It will be in a case anyways lol
And
Warmer sound means it will warm me up more in the cold north of canadas

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,917 of 3,873
My N8 SS has LDAC.

n8_ss.jpg

s!Ar0FaLuvJguogRO9bsIsWgRNb-qT

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,922 of 3,873
I looked in parameters specification in cayin site
And
I can see that SS has no Ldac and BB does....

Other then that no difference.

How come brass is more neutral???
SS should be no? Isnt brass like a copper or gold warmer sound?

LDAC was added to N8SS through firmware update, we did mentioned in the N8SS page that other BT codec will be added to N8, we even published a detail LDAC guide for N8 after the firmware update, you can check that out from the Download link of N8 official page or here:
https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13562

N8BB was introduced after the LDAC firmware update, so the product page of N8BB included LDAC as standard feature.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #2,923 of 3,873
LDAC was added to N8SS through firmware update, we did mentioned in the N8SS page that other BT codec will be added to N8, we even published a detail LDAC guide for N8 after the firmware update, you can check that out from the Download link of N8 official page or here:
https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13562

N8BB was introduced after the LDAC firmware update, so the product page of N8BB included LDAC as standard feature.

Thanks for clarifying it is important for me the ldac bluetooth dac feature. Happy to see it.

Can you tell if there is any differences between BB and SS? Is there a sound difference due to different materials?

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,924 of 3,873
Thanks for clarifying it is important for me the ldac bluetooth dac feature. Happy to see it.

Can you tell if there is any differences between BB and SS? Is there a sound difference due to different materials?

We have provided a detail comparison between Brass Black and Stainless Steel version in the original N8BB announcement, I'll quote it here:

Heat Management

To dissipate the heat generated by the audio circuit effectively, we have attaching Panasonic PGS (Pyrolytic Graphic Sheet) to components that generated a lot of heat and direct the heat energy to the Stainless steel body. In other word, the chassis works as a heatsink and lower the operation temperature of N8.

Since brass is a much better thermal conductor then stainless steel, so when we apply the same heat management technique to the Brass Black N8, the heat energy will dissipate more effectively. It will reach stable operation temperature more quickly, and the surface temperature of N8 Brass Black is approximately 2℃ lower than the standard stainless steel version

Weight

The Brass Black version is about 5g (revised to 10g after we measured more samples) heavier than the stainless steel version, user probably won’t notice the different unless they compare them carefully.

Sound Signature

Both Stainless Steel and Brass Black version employ exactly the same circuit design and components, the only different are chassis material and coating technique. Standard version of N8 is 304 stainless steel and it contains small amount of chromium and nickel. It is an austenite steel and is slightly responsive to magnetic fields. Brass, on the other hand, is non-magnetic but it possesses relatively good electrical conductivity when compare to Stainless steel. These physical characteristics will introduce minor different in audio performance because stainless steel chassis will offer better anti-interference (especially to high frequency) while brass chassis will improve the efficiency of the grounding system due to its edge in conductivity. As manufacturer, we shall leave the final listening impression to users. The different is subtle, it is not an “A is better than B” scenario and personal preference will pay a major role.

The retail price of N8 Brass Black is US$400 more then the regular Stainless Steel version. This is because:
  1. US$199 Dignis leather case bundled
  2. Brass chassis has a lower yield when compare to Stainless Steel chassis, it is softer and prone to scratch or imperfect machine cut during CNC
  3. Telfon coating is a lot more expensive than PVD coating of the regular Stainless Steel version.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #2,925 of 3,873
We have provided a detail comparison between Brass Black and Stainless Steel version in the original N8BB announcement, I'll quote it here:

Heat Management

To dissipate the heat generated by the audio circuit effectively, we have attaching Panasonic PGS (Pyrolytic Graphic Sheet) to components that generated a lot of heat and direct the heat energy to the Stainless steel body. In other word, the chassis works as a heatsink and lower the operation temperature of N8.

Since brass is a much better thermal conductor then stainless steel, so when we apply the same heat management technique to the Brass Black N8, the heat energy will dissipate more effectively. It will reach stable operation temperature more quickly, and the surface temperature of N8 Brass Black is approximately 2℃ lower than the standard stainless steel version

Weight

The Brass Black version is about 5g (revised to 10g after we measured more samples) heavier than the stainless steel version, user probably won’t notice the different unless they compare them carefully.

Sound Signature

Both Stainless Steel and Brass Black version employ exactly the same circuit design and components, the only different are chassis material and coating technique. Standard version of N8 is 304 stainless steel and it contains small amount of chromium and nickel. It is an austenite steel and is slightly responsive to magnetic fields. Brass, on the other hand, is non-magnetic but it possesses relatively good electrical conductivity when compare to Stainless steel. These physical characteristics will introduce minor different in audio performance because stainless steel chassis will offer better anti-interference (especially to high frequency) while brass chassis will improve the efficiency of the grounding system due to its edge in conductivity. As manufacturer, we shall leave the final listening impression to users. The different is subtle, it is not an “A is better than B” scenario and personal preference will pay a major role.

The retail price of N8 Brass Black is US$400 more then the regular Stainless Steel version. This is because:
  1. US$199 Dignis leather case bundled
  2. Brass chassis has a lower yield when compare to Stainless Steel chassis, it is softer and prone to scratch or imperfect machine cut during CNC
  3. Telfon coating is a lot more expensive than PVD coating of the regular Stainless Steel version.

Woa thanks so much for such a detailed reply this is almost on a engineer's lvl understandings ) ) )

If I Understand correctly for some who needs more interference isolation then better go with the SS.

Heat not an issue for me and weight either.

Also SS being a more robust and not prone to scratches is another bonus.

Is that mean the BB has a better grounding vs SS? Means less hiss maybe for sensitive iems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back