Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,037 of 3,873
Is that your setup mate ?
I have been bouncing back n forth between N8 and 64 Audio A18t with my N6
Im thinking the N8 wins out , and then save for the 64 Audio A18t
Maybe the dream team
What 64 Audios are those ?

Well, I called that picture N8^2, right? :wink:

dap is on loan for review, spending more time listening to it now...

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,038 of 3,873
Just submitted payment to MusicTeck and will be getting N8 shortly. I should know if Nutube's a real thing or just another commercial hype by this Friday. :)
I am hoping for the former so I can keep the device with joy..

That's great, looking forward to your impression. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,039 of 3,873
I know we joked about it before, but it actually has a nice ring to it, (N8)^2, and a nice synergy too :D

This is something that I am looking forward to check out as well, unfortunately the N8 is not available in Universal, so I can't borrow the N8 from my friend and need to wait for a show or exhibition before I can find out.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,040 of 3,873

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,044 of 3,873
Just done playing with N8 for few hours. This is isn't the crystal clear digital sounding AK player I am used to but possess a wide sound stage with elegant warmth.
I believe the strength of this player lies on its pure musicality which is at one level beyond. It isn't as resolving but this one makes the SPKM sounds a little dull at times. :)
I think Cayin did wonderful job with the nutube implementation, which will definitely put them on top.

On the interface side the screen resolution isn't as as good as AK. I am not sure if it's matte screen protector came with the player, but the screen font and album arts
seems lacking in resolution. I am used to 'recently added" feature AK provides which is quite convenient locating the new songs just added. I hope Cayin can add this feature
with the future firmware update.

I like being able to fast forward the song with the skip button without turning on screen. I don't believe any other vendor had this.....quite brilliant~
Not sure if the tube has to be cooked a little longer for its optimal performance but will play more...

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #1,045 of 3,873
Just done playing with N8 for few hours. This is isn't the crystal clear digital sounding AK player I am used to but possess a wide sound stage with elegant warmth.
I believe the strength of this player lies on its pure musicality which is at one level beyond. It isn't as resolving but this one makes the SPKM sounds a little dull at times. :)
I think Cayin did wonderful job with the nutube implementation, which will definitely put them on top.

On the interface side the screen resolution isn't as as good as AK. I am not sure if it's matte screen protector came with the player, but the screen font and album arts
seems lacking in resolution. I am used to 'recently added" feature AK provides which is quite convenient locating the new songs just added. I hope Cayin can add this feature

I like being able to fast forward the song with the skip button without turning on screen. I don't believe any other vendor had this.....quite brilliant~
Not sure if the tube has to be cooked a little longer for its optimal performance but will play more...

You will need a lot of burn in (I took a week alternating between outputs) before making the final judgement about the sound. Its solid state balanced (4.4mm) output is on par with SPK SS balanced and tube output is on par with WM1Z balanced w/vinyl processor. Then, with either solid state or tube amp outputs you can also switch between standard (P) or High (P+) outputs, where high output boosts the voltage of opamp stage which also affects the sound characteristics, surprisingly has an effect on multi BAs as well as high impedance cans (as intended).

Also, don't forget to update the fw, I found it to improve battery performance/management.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,046 of 3,873

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,047 of 3,873

Thank you very much for your N8 impression. We didn't set off to develop a "competing" flagship DAP, we want to achieve the best possible sound under Cayin's audio engineering and our understanding of music reproduction. While it is cost-on-objective when we design our audio circuit, it is still within our audio signature and "audio priority" thinking.

If you notice a matte plastic sheet on the N8 screen, that is our protective screen we put on immediately after assembly at production line, it is supposed to be peel off immediately when the N8 player reach the hand of the customers, and we have provide a 2.5D temper glass protective screen in the N8 package. I guess the shop want to sell the N8 demo later on so they didn't remove the matte plastic sheet on their demo unit.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,048 of 3,873
Cayin N8 Unbox. Very elegant look of the real body with back cover Corning Gorilla glass.

Thanks for your N8 unbox video, it covers everything, great effort. :beerchug::beerchug:

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,050 of 3,873

Chris thank you for putting up an open box video for us. Two short reminders here: the Smart Glow LED will display colors according to sampling frequency, but you need to plug in a headphone to get it work. The tube option is only available when you plug in a 3.5mm headphone.:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back