Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,006 of 3,873
Thanks mate

Yes , i immediately asked for more details , and the message was seen , but no reply was given

That was a red flag to me

I ve had nothing but good experience with Cayin , and my N6 is still solid . Never one issue

Thee early issue we seen here , have they been addressed and or fixed ?

i forget the members names in particular

Cheers

I have been watching this thread closely, and so far, only read about one issue with someone's unit overheating (i think?), turned out to be defective and Cayin rep delivered a replacement. The other one was mentioned by Andy himself, where someone complained that while in their backpack unit turned on by itself easily, and Cayin already released a new fw update addressing it.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,007 of 3,873
Thanks mate

Yes , i immediately asked for more details , and the message was seen , but no reply was given

I ve had nothing but good experience with Cayin , and my N6 is still solid . Never one issue

Cheers
I got my unit replaced and so far, with the exception of a few minor issues, it's been good. Currently on vacation in Osaka, so have been listening to it a lot. :smile:

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,011 of 3,873
Just came from A1futureshop, which is only less than an hour away from me. N8 is a hot commodity and finding it this closeby me is just a little surreal.
I'll keep it short, the 1.1 FW has reduced the warmth sonic characteristic of the 4.4mm out.
The key sonic characteristic of N8 is how good the vocal timbre of various audiophile recording can sound. However, for me, the key feature of this DAP is the 3.5mm NuTube output. It soundstage is very natural and mature, something that one expects from a high-end tube setup. Sadly the ting noise that I hear from my NT-1 is still audible, I think it is something that plagues the Nu-Tube and is basically part of it, and just requires a lot of fine-tuning to illuminate completely.
The 4.4mm was also noisy but it is basically inaudible once music is playing.
Overall feeling regarding size: Do I like the N8 or the LPGT? Well, they are both too heavy to be something I consider feasible for daily commuting. N8 gets warm and I suspect it can get too warm for a tropical region. LPGT while still smaller and slightly lighter also isn't small enough for me to consider a feasible player for daily commuting. Basically, the only size I think is feasible for portable usage is DAP the size of AK120.
LPGT is basically the best Solid-State DAP out which has an excellent single ended and Pentaconn output. Ihas a lot of power and a slight tilt towards the warmer side and power to drive anything.

Who would want N8: Those who like the sound of the naturalness of tube amp without sounding too wet, or 'tubey', will love the N8. There isn't out there that does what N8 does. So if that is the sound you like you only have one and for now only one choice, the N8.
The price: Is it worth it? Who can say, for me sadly no? Despite how much I like the sound, and how capable it is, for the same reason, I did not like the SP1000 family, they are too big to be portable, and they cost the same as HUGOII which is basically on a different level than all the current high-end DAPs in the market. If you can carry the N8 or the LPGT or anything else of that size, you can easily carry the HUGO II and just use your phone, which now-days everyone has.
If Cayin can release a new dap, a simpler version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube section, and price it in the more affordable region I will revisit this family, but at the price of the 4499 AUD (3200 USD) my money goes to HUGO II and use the spare cash and buy myself a decent IEM/headphone or better music albums.

My current favourite DAP: I find WM1A the best value, it has this holographic sound that I don't hear in any other dap. It is also not as portable as I like it to be but after the latest FW update for me, it has become the best value/feature packed DAP an audiophile can ask for. But my current reference DAP is still LPG which is slowly getting replaced by QLS QA361 which basically a DAP that an audiophile designs who happen to be an engineer.

Edit: I do not own the HUGO II, I'm prefectly happy with my first gen HUGO, and I disliked and own Chord Mojo, N8 sounds much better than Mojo.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,012 of 3,873
Just came from A1futureshop, which is only less than an hour away from me. N8 is a hot commodity and finding it this closeby me is just a little surreal.
I'll keep it short, the 1.1 FW has reduced the warmth sonic characteristic of the 4.4mm out.
The key sonic characteristic of N8 is how good the vocal timbre of various audiophile recording can sound. However, for me, the key feature of this DAP is the 3.5mm NuTube output. It soundstage is very natural and mature, something that one expects from a high-end tube setup. Sadly the ting noise that I hear from my NT-1 is still audible, I think it is something that plagues the Nu-Tube and is basically part of it, and just requires a lot of fine-tuning to illuminate completely.
Overall feeling regarding size: Do I like the N8 or the LPGT? Well, they are both too heavy to be something I consider feasible for daily commuting. N8 gets warm and I suspect it can get too warm for a tropical region. LPGT while still smaller and slightly lighter also isn't small enough for me to consider a feasible player for daily commuting. Basically, the only size I think is feasible for portable usage is DAP the size of AK120.
LPGT is basically the best Solid-State DAP out which has an excellent single ended and Pentaconn output. Ihas a lot of power and a slight tilt towards the warmer side and power to drive anything.

Who would want N8: Those who like the sound of the naturalness of amp without sounding too wet, or 'tubey', will love the N8. There isn't out there that does what N8 does. So if that is the sound you like you only have one and for now only one choice, the N8.
The price: Is it worth it? Who can say, for me sadly no? Despite how much I like the sound, and how capable it is, for the same reason, I did not like the SP1000 family, they are too big to be portable, and they cost the same as HUGOII which is basically on a different level than all the current high-end DAPs in the market. If you can carry the N8 or the LPGT or anything else of that size, you can easily carry the HUGO II and just use your phone, which now-days everyone has.
If Cayin can release a new dap, a simpler version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube section, and price it in the more affordable region I will revisit this family, but at the price of the 4499 AUD (3200 USD) my money goes to HUGO II and use the spare cash and buy myself a decent IEM/headphone or better music albums.

My current favourite DAP: I find WM1A the best value, it has this holographic sound that I don't hear in any other dap. It is also not as portable as I like it to be but after the latest FW update for me, it has become the best value/feature packed DAP an audiophile can ask for. But my current reference DAP is still LPG which is slowly getting replaced by QLS QA361 which basically a DAP that an audiophile designs who happen to be an engineer.

I find WM1A to be best value in a land of crazy cost. So i will ask you

Is the screen gorilla glass like the back cuz everything i see, pics in here, vids on net, it is a print magnet

Gorilla glass in front?
Is there any EQ or DSP. WM1A/Z and A&K have em...does this?

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,013 of 3,873
Thank you Andy

My apologies for bringing it up , but it really concerned me

I do feel better now

Cheers

Thanks mate

Cheers

For the record, N8 is available for demo in the following FIVE shops in Hong Kong:
  1. DMA (Sim City): Unit 219 - 223, 2/F., Sim City, No.47-51 Shantung Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon.
  2. Music Camp (Sim City): Unit113,1/F., Sim City, No.47-51 Shantung Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon.
  3. Right Shop Audio (Sino Center): Shop B23, Basement, Sino Center, 582-592 Nathan Road, Kowloon
  4. Let'go Audio (Wan Chai Computer Center): Shop 227-228, 2/F Wanchai Computer Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wanchai
  5. Master Studio (Tsuen Fung Centre): Shop A52, G/F, Tsuen Fung Centre, 144-172 Castle Peak Road, Tsuen Wan
Three out of five shops are in Mong Kok area, at 5-10 minutes walking distance from Jaben Hong Kong, and Jaben didn't have a demo nor stock on hand.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 20, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #1,015 of 3,873

Who would want N8: Those who like the sound of the naturalness of amp without sounding too wet, or 'tubey', will love the N8. There isn't out there that does what N8 does. So if that is the sound you like you only have one and for now only one choice, the N8.

Excellent impression. Thank you very much for your endorsement of audio performance of N8. Indeed Cayin has put audio performance at our top priority, even when we aim at a a cost-no-objective design, the resources and design compromise are all geared towards better audio performance.

I think the beauty of current Personal Audio landscape is extremely wide choice of products, there is always something that meet your preference if you look harder. A wise manufacturer will not aim at develop at product to please everything, that will be a very high risk project and very likely you end up pleasing no one. Cayin knows our target audience and we are aiming at a niche market only, so we understand perfectly well that N8 is not going to fit the preference of all HeadFier, so impression like this will help us to reach out to the right audience group, for that we thank you sincerely.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #1,016 of 3,873
I find WM1A to be best value in a land of crazy cost. So i will ask you

Is the screen gorilla glass like the back cuz everything i see, pics in here, vids on net, it is a print magnet

Gorilla glass in front?
Is there any EQ or DSP. WM1A/Z and A&K have em...does this?
I honestly have no issue with the built, it feels solid, and the screen felt solid. I have taken some pictures on my phone, I will upload later. There is EQ feature, DSP is a no (unless not something we can configure).

Soundwise I like the N8 better than the A&K which is all about resolution and long-term listening to it just fatigues me. I've given away my last modern AK (AK70) and only kept the AK120. I found the previous generation of the AK (the AK380xx) better sonically tune, slightly more natural than the LPG, still too fatiguing. So built-wise, I find N8 as good as the AK. The screen of SP1000xx is the best, and the UI is the most modern GUI out there, however ignoring that N8 built is as good as them.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,017 of 3,873
Can we move along and answer questions.

JABEN IS BAD EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

Alright?

Does it have an EQ? Is the glass that looks like a print magnet Gorilla glass like.....the back?

N8 has a 10 bands EQ, this is page 1 of the two-page EQ interface.

N8 EQ interface.jpg

The rear of N8 is a custom molded Gorilla G3 curved glass panel.

Last edited:

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,018 of 3,873
Can we move along and answer questions.

JABEN IS BAD EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

Alright?

Does it have an EQ? Is the glass that looks like a print magnet Gorilla glass like.....the back?

Chris, yes, 10 band EQ is there (+/-12 dB adjustment), and 8 genre specific presets which can be tweaked further. Back has Gorilla glass, while I'm not 100% sure about the front, maybe Andy can confirm. I honestly don't think anybody going to carry N8 without a case (case is included) since it's a larger size 386g DAP that you can drop easily without a case enhancing the grip. So, I wouldn't worry about the back panel fingerprints. I don't think the N8 loaner I have got screen protector on, and I do see some fingerprints on the front screen.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,019 of 3,873
Chris, yes, 10 band EQ is there (+/-12 dB adjustment), and 8 genre specific presets which can be tweaked further. Back has Gorilla glass, while I'm not 100% sure about the front, maybe Andy can confirm. I honestly don't think anybody going to carry N8 without a case (case is included) since it's a larger size 386g DAP that you can drop easily without a case enhancing the grip. So, I wouldn't worry about the back panel fingerprints. I don't think the N8 loaner I have got screen protector on, and I do see some fingerprints on the front screen.

The front panel is NOT Gorilla Glass. We have included a tempered glass protective screen in the standard N8 package, so Alex please look harder, its there somewhere in the package, should be in the middle layer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back