Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #631 of 3,873
A few ore pictures of the N8 beside the Ultima and Futura.

Above:N8, Below:SP1000
20180716_170242.jpg

Left:N8 Right:SE100 Futura
20180716_170156.jpg

Left:SE1000 Ultima Right:N8
20180716_170139.jpg

It's thick, really thick. Not quite HM 901 thick but close.

It is lighter than the SPK-SS though.

On another note, the Futura was so significantly thicker than in its showcase pictures I almost didn't recognise it :p

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #632 of 3,873
I could sink my teeth into that juicy cut of meat!

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #633 of 3,873
Anyone will head to CanJam London tomorrow?

Be reminded that our UK dealer AdvancedMP3 will host a booth on our behalf at Westminster 41, please look for Cayin's booth and check out the latest N8 engineering sample. Remember to check out the 3.5mm Tube output option and trun on the HIGH mode to try out the High Impedance High Output mode. This is the first time Cayin is represented in CanJam London,so don't miss this opportunity to experience our new flagship DAP before its officaly launch.

By the way, N5iiS will also be displayed at the same time, this is definitely a debut outside China,

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 21, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #634 of 3,873
Just heard the Paw Gold Touch

20180721_120223.jpg

20180721_120233.jpg

I think the N8 will have some real competition from this. Its soundstage is nearly as big but it also has the holographic quality of the SPK-SS. (Rip A&K)

I didn't get a chance to A/B the two so take this with a pinch of salt.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #635 of 3,873
Just heard the Paw Gold Touch

I think the N8 will have some real competition from this. Its soundstage is nearly as big but it also has the holographic quality of the SPK-SS. (Rip A&K)

I didn't get a chance to A/B the two so take this with a pinch of salt.

The Paw Gold was one of the best sounding DAP in past few years, so we don't expect anything less from them on the Paw Touch, they really are the the benchmark and I am looking forward to honest and impartial comparison down the road when both N8 and Paw Touch are in full production, lets see if you'll be the first to do that. :beerchug:

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #636 of 3,873
The Paw Gold was one of the best sounding DAP in past few years, so we don't expect anything less from them on the Paw Touch, they really are the the benchmark and I am looking forward to honest and impartial comparison down the road when both N8 and Paw Touch are in full production, lets see if you'll be the first to do that. :beerchug:
So you would consider it a complement then?

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #637 of 3,873
Anyone will head to CanJam London tomorrow?

Be reminded that our UK dealer AdvancedMP3 will host a booth on our behalf at Westminster 41, please look for Cayin's booth and check out the latest N8 engineering sample. Remember to check out the 3.5mm Tube output option and trun on the HIGH mode to try out the High Impedance High Output mode. This is the first time Cayin is represented in CanJam London,so don't miss this opportunity to experience our new flagship DAP before its officaly launch.

By the way, N5iiS will also be displayed at the same time, this is definitely a debut outside China,

I had the pleasure of listening to the N8 at Canjam earlier today and what can I say? I thought it was sublime. I listen through the 3.5mm jack and it was exceptional. I listen with my Pinnacle P1's and they sounded the best I had ever heard them. I can only begin to imagine How it must sound with better iems . I listened straight after listening to the Hugo 2 for a rough reference point (I had also listened to a WM1Z yesterday). The UI still needed a little work, but the sound was oh so smooth yet detailed. Great work Cayin.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #639 of 3,873
How it is compared to the 1Z?
Completely different leagues when it comes to technicalities. And while the 1Z may get somewhat congested with certain types of music, the N8 always remains effortless. I'd consider the N8 a complete upgrade over the 1Z.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #640 of 3,873
Completely different leagues when it comes to technicalities. And while the 1Z may get somewhat congested with certain types of music, the N8 always remains effortless. I'd consider the N8 a complete upgrade over the 1Z.

Based on the listening I did with both, I agree with the comments made by Seanwee. I have listened to the WM1Z a few times out of its 3.5mm output only and I have always thought it was very good, but have always been slightly underwhelmed, especially given it's price. With the N8, again only with its 3.5mm output, I was very impressed and thought it was noticeably better than the WM1Z. The situation may be different if you listen with their respective balanced outputs, although I would surprised if it was. I can't claim to have listened to a lot high end daps, but out of what I have listened to this is the best dap I have personally ever heard.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #641 of 3,873
Based on the listening I did with both, I agree with the comments made by Seanwee. I have listened to the WM1Z a few times out of its 3.5mm output only and I have always thought it was very good, but have always been slightly underwhelmed, especially given it's price. With the N8, again only with its 3.5mm output, I was very impressed and thought it was noticeably better than the WM1Z. The situation may be different if you listen with their respective balanced outputs, although I would surprised if it was. I can't claim to have listened to a lot high end daps, but out of what I have listened to this is the best dap I have personally ever heard.
I listened to both 4.4 and 3.5mm outputs of the WM1Z. For the N8 I was using the 3.5mm Nutube output.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #642 of 3,873
So you would consider it a complement then?

Thank about this: if N8 is the only US$2000+ flagship DAP from China in 2018, we might get all the spotlight for a while, but sooner or later, consumer will lost interest, get bored, or even take a break and detour to other more "interesting" game.

But right now, we have R2R2000, Paw Touch, N8 and maybe LP6 arriving within a 12 month period, the competition is tough, but the market will become red-hot with a lot of discussion, comparison and even heated debates. Users will raise a lot of questions l(e.g, A vs B, B vs C, C vs A, A vs B vs D, ....), and rush to shops or exhibition booth to conduct their important cross-comparison, .... Eventually, these activities will encourage more customers to upgrade and attract new comers to the hobby.

In short, if we are confident with our product, I should appreciate respectable competitors because this will arouse interest of consumers and keep the market going and expanding.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #643 of 3,873
I had the pleasure of listening to the N8 at Canjam earlier today and what can I say? I thought it was sublime. I listen through the 3.5mm jack and it was exceptional. I listen with my Pinnacle P1's and they sounded the best I had ever heard them. I can only begin to imagine How it must sound with better iems . I listened straight after listening to the Hugo 2 for a rough reference point (I had also listened to a WM1Z yesterday). The UI still needed a little work, but the sound was oh so smooth yet detailed. Great work Cayin.

Thank you very much for your impression and feedback. My appreciation is late but we are sincere about this.

AdvancedMP3 told us that they have people queuing up to audition the N8 most of the time, but I only find one brief N8 impression from the CanJam London thread. I was wandering if that particular N8 sample are not performing satisfactory during the show and therefore visitors are silent after their audition.

Glad to know I am over-worried as a positive feedback from someone who had audition Hugo2 and N8 back to back means a lot already.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #644 of 3,873
I just received the Power Rating of N8 today, I need some time to get them organised, but let's take a quick look on the highly anticipated 4.4mm Headphone output

At Standard output mode:

32Ω 480mW+480mW
150Ω 150mW+150mW
300Ω 80mW+80mW

At High Impedance High Output Mode:

32Ω 750mW+750mW
150Ω 400mW+400mW
300Ω 200mW+200mW

I am excited when I receive these figures, aren't you? :grin:

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #645 of 3,873
Thank about this: if N8 is the only US$2000+ flagship DAP from China in 2018, we might get all the spotlight for a while, but sooner or later, consumer will lost interest, get bored, or even take a break and detour to other more "interesting" game.

But right now, we have R2R2000, Paw Touch, N8 and maybe LP6 arriving within a 12 month period, the competition is tough, but the market will become red-hot with a lot of discussion, comparison and even heated debates. Users will raise a lot of questions l(e.g, A vs B, B vs C, C vs A, A vs B vs D, ....), and rush to shops or exhibition booth to conduct their important cross-comparison, .... Eventually, these activities will encourage more customers to upgrade and attract new comers to the hobby.

In short, if we are confident with our product, I should appreciate respectable competitors because this will arouse interest of consumers and keep the market going and expanding.

To summarize this with a good saying: "a rising tide lifts all boats" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back