Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Oct 8, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,621 of 1,852
enleum hpa-23rm my choice
It definitely looks like a beast! Was considering it, the only concern would be on its unbalanced outputs, but I guess with the tech inside it’s still plenty worthwhile!

Also is that the PA10 to the side - nice case for it!

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,622 of 1,852
Hi guys,

Please find my first-ever review on Head-Fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-n7-1-bit-dap.26376/reviews#review-31910

A novice audiophile, I have tried to understand the terminology and describe my impression as accurately as possible. Please read it with a grain of salt.

Thank you.
In first, thanks for your impressions, but I think you can use normal headphones with the N7, both my Denon 7200 and my Obravo Hamt-3 Mkii are supplied with enough energy. I use both in high gain at a maximum volume of 60 percent. Logically, he will have problems with high-impedance headphones, but I also had that with many other DAPs.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,623 of 1,852
The N7 LO is great, moreover with its pre amp mode. So it’s rather a good idea if the fact of having an amp to carry doesn‘t bother you, it’ll elevate N7‘s sound.

They are all 3 great with different qualities, you should read the different feedbacks on the Watercooler thread or each amp dedicated thread and reviews to learn more about (and also Twister6 reviews here and here).

Yes but not as much as changing your IEMs for others more suiting your taste imho.

Its a different taste, but not as much tube sounding like a desktop tube amps could be b.e.
It colors a bit the sound but not too much, you could also read more precise feedbacks on C9 thread and reviews.
Thanks for this! Very helpful

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,624 of 1,852
In first, thanks for your impressions, but I think you can use normal headphones with the N7, both my Denon 7200 and my Obravo Hamt-3 Mkii are supplied with enough energy. I use both in high gain at a maximum volume of 60 percent. Logically, he will have problems with high-impedance headphones, but I also had that with many other DAPs.

I have Denon 9200 and i rarely turn the volume higher than 45 on high gain (balanced cable). Plenty of power for such headphones!

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #1,625 of 1,852
Yeah ... maximum volume / listening level is one thing, but unplug those headphones from the Cayin N7 and plug it into a proper desktop amp (i.e., Burson Soloist 3x GT or even JDS Labs Element III Mk2), even at the same audible level, the sound is going to be way more dynamic, like how those headphones should sound. Again, this is just my experience and YMMV.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Cayin N7 with the other R-2R DAPs out there like the Astell&Kern SE300, Hiby RS8, and Luxury&Precision P6 Pro? Does the Cayin N7 sound as analog as they do?

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,626 of 1,852
I'm curious if anyone is using the N7 to feed a tube headphone amp, and what their experience has been. I've got a DNA Stratus and I need a source to feed it, very limited space where it is located, thought a DAP might be a good option (I've got a dedicated desktop setup with streamer and DAC, this would be my 2nd system).

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,627 of 1,852
I'm curious if anyone is using the N7 to feed a tube headphone amp, and what their experience has been. I've got a DNA Stratus and I need a source to feed it, very limited space where it is located, thought a DAP might be a good option (I've got a dedicated desktop setup with streamer and DAC, this would be my 2nd system).
Does Oriolus BA300S count?

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,629 of 1,852
I don't know what that is, so you tell me :beyersmile:
It’s a portable tube amp, like a mini C9. The main combo people recommend is Cayin N7 + Cayin C9 (Cayin’s own portable tube amp). So that should say something about how it plays with tube amps 😉. The line out on this is supposed to be really rock solid.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,630 of 1,852
@Andykong Any plan for further update of N7 to support aptX adaptive?

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,631 of 1,852
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 15, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,632 of 1,852
I own many CDs and continue to buy them, I also own the N7, I would like to create a definitive chain for listening to music: Mac mini for streaming, iTunes, Amazon music, etc. cd player, N7 as dac, headphone power supply, headphones. Basically I want to use the N7 as a DAC and pair it with a non-portable headphone amplifier. Can you tell me about a CD player that can be connected to the N7, the cables to use between the Mac Mini and the N7, between the CD player and the N7 and an excellent headphone amplifier?

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #1,634 of 1,852
What headphones pair well with N7? Want to buy a headphones that’s easy to drive and that has excellent synergy with N7. Budget around 800$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back