Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #587 of 1,852
The N7 is a fantastic piece of equipment imo. As with any product, it won’t work for everyone and synergy is important. I’m thoroughly enjoying mine tonight with the MSE.

7DDC946B-1BA3-4866-B848-7F96D653C3FD.jpeg
I’m hoping he does his full scale review using Odins as one of the IEM’s. That’s what I have an I need to make sure the synergy is there. I have no way to audition one.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #588 of 1,852
0111_1.10.1.jpg

N7 Discrete LPF Circuit

Let’s position the LPF correctly in the audio circuit before we move on. I’ll describe the LPF as the output stage of the DAC in an all-in-one circuit such as DAP, that’s because the original output from commonly-used DAC chipset or discrete DAC circuits is unusable, it must be “treated” before we can use it in subsequent analog amplification.

We added LPF to bandlimited the DAC output because we want to remove the high frequency “noise” generated by the oversampling activities in the DAC chipset/circuit. I am not a teacher so I don’t want to go into the technical detail of designing LPF for DAC (well, the fact is I can’t because I am not an Engineer). If you want to learn more about the use and design of LPF filters, google LPF or reconstruction filters and you’ll find loads of online reference material. The proper starting point of our discussion is: LPF is not just a setting filtering frequency, so anything below that will go through and anything above that will be filtered. Nope, it’s far more complicated than that and there are many options and settings that will affect the sound signature and SNR of the audio circuit.

This is not our first attempt to pay special attention to LPF design. A02 Audio Motherboard had a unique feature that allow users to select a DSD filter (3rd order RC Filter) or PCM filter (2nd order RC Filter). Since the DAC of N7 is DSD-only by design, so we are not going to re-offer this feature in N7, but the user-selectable LPF feature demonstrated how and to what extent the LPF can affect the sound signature of an audio circuit.

1678036109904.png

An Active LPF Circuit with Bipolar Transistors

All our previous DAPs used OP-Amp IC-based reconstruction filters for LPF, this is a very effective solution and we had no intention to do otherwise when we started the N7 development. For the record, the N7 is the first-ever 1-bit DAC implementation in DAP, so we need to try a lot of options before we can fully optimize the circuit design. There are times that we need to go out-of-the-box when we need more flexibility to fine-tune the circuitry and parameters of components in order to achieve the sound signature and audio performance of the 1-bit DAC circuit. We decided to use a discrete component to explore the LPF circuit so that we can design the output stage of our 1-bit DAC to closely resemble the characteristics of the original Philips TDA1547 chipset. We finally developed the 1-bit DAC and LPF circuit that meets our target, but we went too far and we can’t turn back to Op-Amp IC-based LPF in this project.

After numerous attempts, we developed a Class A push-pull amplification circuit based on dual Bipolar Transistors and set 55kHz@-3dB as our LPF parameter. We selected low VCEsat small-signal (BISS) NPN/PNP transistors from Nexperia as the BJT of the N7 LPF circuit. This BJT offers best-in-class efficiency, and keep power consumption and heat dissipation to a minimum, making it an ideal solution in the compact temperature-critical environment such as DAP. The final LPF circuit offers a high performance/board space ratio. It might only occupy a small area in the PCB, but it is a big deal as far as the final sound signature of the N7 is concerned.

N7 LPF on PCB.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 5, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #589 of 1,852
After numerous attempts, we developed a Class A push-pull amplification circuit based on dual Bipolar Transistors and set 55kHz@-3dB as our LPF parameter.
Class A amp for the headphone or dac section?

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #590 of 1,852
I’m hoping he does his full scale review using Odins as one of the IEM’s. That’s what I have an I need to make sure the synergy is there. I have no way to audition one.
N7 + Odin it’s pure heaven. The soundstage, imagining and texture detail in Odin scales to a pleasing level.
Details prevails, but with an exquisite analogue feeling.
Treble gain body.

It’s an excellent match.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #591 of 1,852
My N7 should arrive by Tuesday. Any existing owners pairing with single DDs? …an area of huge preference for me - very curious to try with Turii Ti for example, most likely the first set I’ll plug in, hearing and feeling that satisfying sensation of the 4.4mm making it’s first connection 🥰

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #592 of 1,852
My main issue with N8ii is that compared to my other flagship DAPS, it doesn't capture and produce depth as good as similar priced DAP.
How is N7 in terms of reproducing depth in recording?

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #594 of 1,852
My main issue with N8ii is that compared to my other flagship DAPS, it doesn't capture and produce depth as good as similar priced DAP.
How is N7 in terms of reproducing depth in recording?

We probably need to be a bit more specific because different people interpret 'depth' in their own way, having a different meaning in mind :wink: For example, M8 mentioned above is a warm colored DAP with a very polite treble, and the only depth that come to mind is its soundstage having more depth then width, expanding further out of your head. With N7, while I had only a short period of time to spend with it, soundstage from the balanced output was huge, definitely on 3D level with holographic imaging. I actually miss it, especially with Mentor Multiverse.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #595 of 1,852
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #596 of 1,852
We probably need to be a bit more specific because different people interpret 'depth' in their own way, having a different meaning in mind :wink: For example, M8 mentioned above is a warm colored DAP with a very polite treble, and the only depth that come to mind is its soundstage having more depth then width, expanding further out of your head. With N7, while I had only a short period of time to spend with it, soundstage from the balanced output was huge, definitely on 3D level with holographic imaging. I actually miss it, especially with Mentor Multiverse.
Fair point, depth to me is we were to imagine a concert hall, it is the distance between me and the performers on the stage.
Most probably don't really care about this but the kind of music I listen to for me it determine if the DAP is tuned with that in mind or not.

N8ii sounds more like a small studio, I feel like everything played through it reproduces as if it is getting remastered in a high end studio.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #597 of 1,852
Fair point, depth to me is we were to imagine a concert hall, it is the distance between me and the performers on the stage.
Most probably don't really care about this but the kind of music I listen to for me it determine if the DAP is tuned with that in mind or not.

N8ii sounds more like a small studio, I feel like everything played through it reproduces as if it is getting remastered in a high end studio.

Good, so we are on the same page, talking about soundstage expansion and sound imaging :wink: You will not be disappointed, and I hope more people who got it already will chime in with their impressions.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #598 of 1,852
If you dig a concert hall like somewhat hollow presentation, you can certainly try out surround/reverb option through Neutron with no distortion whatsoever.
but I find the N7 to be highly layered in multi direction giving enough spaces between the instruments to distinguish and enjoy in natural way.
The kinetic energy I am getting on hypnotic electro techno tunes through N7 is eerily good.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #600 of 1,852

Please fix the charging issue. I set the maximum charge to 95%. But it is fully charged to 100%. :smile_cat:

Some problems "Pop noise" when changing Amp Class in High Gain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS. If having trouble download apps in Play Store, I recommend resetting N7. :smiley_cat:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back