Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #273 of 1,852
Funnies aside, would this be a good DAP to listen to SACD ISO?

Should be as good as any other 32bit/768kHzk DAPs - SACS ISOs sounds great on my 3MAX, N8ii, RS8, etc

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #274 of 1,852
N7-24.jpg

Unexplored Frontier in DAP, a discrete fully-balanced design

As a long-time audio equipment manufacturer, Cayin Audio is devoted to designing and producing desktop audio products for many many years before we started our venture in portable audio, so designing an audio circuit with discrete components is our bread and butter. When compared to the Op-Amp-based design that is commonly used in DAP or portable DAC/Amp nowadays, going discrete is technically more demanding but it allows more room to fine-tune sound signature and deliver superior performance. In addition, on top of the obvious considerations such as taking up more PCB space and consuming more power, discrete design for high-fidelity audio products frequently involves component matching which is time and resource-consuming, and manual installation which is tedious and low efficient when compared to typical PCB-A process using SMT components.

Devoted audiophiles should be all familiar with the single-ended vs balanced discussion. In short, a regular stereo circuit composes of a Left (L) and Right (R) channel, balanced circuit involves differential inputs and differential outputs., hence required L+,L-, R+, and R- channels. Cayin believes both approaches can offer excellent sound, and we are one of the few manufacturers who spend serious attention to make sure our single-end output also sounds fabulous, therefore our users can pick their choice with reference to their associated hardware and software freely. N7 is a balanced design from digital to analog. The DAC circuit is four rails by design; the LPF, line/pre drivers, and headphone amplifier are also “true balanced” circuits, meaning these circuits are balanced from input to output, not just adding an output inverter to a single-ended circuit. In fact, even the volume control in N7 is carefully considered, it is a 4-channel electronic controlled resistor ladder analog potentiometer in one integrated component.

The N7 is Cayin’s first attempt to use a discrete full-balanced circuit for DAC, LPF, and Headphone Amplifier in a DAP. Implementing a balanced circuit design in the discrete circuit is a nightmare, because when we doubled the number of components to handle L- and R- channels properly, we also doubled all the problems as mentioned regarding discrete design. To solve part of the problems, Cayin adopts a symmetrical double-side PCB layout for N7. By putting the left (L+ and L-) and right (R+ and R-) channels on a different side of the main PCB, we can minimize cross-talk and interference, and keep the layout and length of the signal path as uniform as possible.

N7 Sales Guide 02 Discrete photo.JPG

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #276 of 1,852
Small request for Cayin to return to the aesthetic design of the N6ii for their next DAP. Can't get on board with this trend toward gold knobs....:v:

giphy.gif

cayin-n7-x06.jpg

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #277 of 1,852
A really momentous announcement, congratulations Cayin. And while the discrete circuit points have always been a theme, they always make it feel fresh in each release. Truly Never Be The Same Again.

Andy's notes covered what we think is great about N7's discrete gain stage – as worthy of as much attention as the DAC and power section! In our coverage we also elaborated a bit further on what’s so special about a 1-bit DAC, ahead of Andy’s full tech rundown coming up next.

https://zeppelinandco.com/products/cayin-n7

For those of you who have pre-ordered, you lucky ones – be very excited ahead of arrival!

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #278 of 1,852
When will we learn first impressions from you, Alex? 🙏

Borrowed it from Musicteck for a few days and already returned it back; it was their CanJam NYC demo sample. So, I had just enough time to put together First Look mini-review which I'm planning to share tomorrow. Full review will be later when I have official review sample after the show. And I'm sure we will hear more impressions from others after this CanJam weekend (too bad I can only attend on Saturday).

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #279 of 1,852
N7 looks fantastic. There's any other leather case available? I would prefer black or deep blue instead.

Is the N7 capable of decoding PCM to DSD on the go?

Probably sometime — many months — after launch. Dignis (Pantheon) and Cayin (new N8ii case) released cases for the N8ii around 9-10 months after release.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #280 of 1,852
Borrowed it from Musicteck for a few days and already returned it back; it was their CanJam NYC demo sample. So, I had just enough time to put together First Look mini-review which I'm planning to share tomorrow. Full review will be later when I have official review sample after the show. And I'm sure we will hear more impressions from others after this CanJam weekend (too bad I can only attend on Saturday).
Thx!
Your first impressions might though be a trigger to pre order for one or another headfier still

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #285 of 1,852

Users who are viewing this thread

Back