Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #7,096 of 8,192
If you have performed double wipe and the condition remains, that pretty much rules out software problem already, including locked in transfer mode as @kel77 suggested. It's very likely a hardware problem from what we observed, please contact your dealer, explain your problem to them in detail, they should help you out promptly.
I am sorry @aaf evo for this misfortune. May it be resolved quickly. Good thing you still have the MAX at least...

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #7,099 of 8,192
Aug 29, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #7,100 of 8,192
Nothing else new for now. I'll be watching for the LP7 Ti to be released. But I still have the N6ii-Ti and the A02 module so I'm good. But if you look up my list of toys you'll see I was good, VERY good even without it.

After adding this stuff to my listening repertoire more headphone stuff seems a bit anti-climactic.

Everything except the E02 module is now sold. 20210829_104827.jpg20210829_104805.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #7,102 of 8,192
I sold my C9 a while back but R01 is going no where until something can match the size and sound quality for value. It’s unbeatable in that aspect for me. The only thing I’ve heard that’s noticeably better albeit still different is the iBasso DX300 Max and it’s not r2r and it’s way bigger, amazing SQ though.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,103 of 8,192
I sold my C9 a while back but R01 is going no where until something can match the size and sound quality for value. It’s unbeatable in that aspect for me. The only thing I’ve heard that’s noticeably better albeit still different is the iBasso DX300 Max and it’s not r2r and it’s way bigger, amazing SQ though.
You listen to quite a bit of electronic, right? May I ask what sub-genres? I'm asking because you have a set of ears I trust; we don't necessarily enjoy the same things to the same extent, but you seem to have a consistent take, which I appreciate.

I've read some opinions that the R01 R2r implementation isn't great with most electronic, which surprised me. Now, it's been years since I've spent significant time with an R2R DAC (desktop in my case; never portable), and I personally did not find that to be the case with other R2R implementations.

FWIW, I listen to a ton of electronic (ambient, dub-tech, house, trance) & jazz (instrumental for the most part, from swing to bop to contemporary); those two main genres probably comprise 80% of my music consumption.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7,104 of 8,192
You listen to quite a bit of electronic, right? May I ask what sub-genres? I'm asking because you have a set of ears I trust; we don't necessarily enjoy the same things to the same extent, but you seem to have a consistent take, which I appreciate.

I've read some opinions that the R01 R2r implementation isn't great with most electronic, which surprised me. Now, it's been years since I've spent significant time with an R2R DAC (desktop in my case; never portable), and I personally did not find that to be the case with other R2R implementations.

FWIW, I listen to a ton of electronic (ambient, dub-tech, house, trance) & jazz (instrumental for the most part, from swing to bop to contemporary); those two main genres probably comprise 80% of my music consumption.

So this is a weird one for me. I do think r2r implementations almost make electronic music sound a bit too raw? The genre seems to benefit from “more colored” type sound to me. For example using the Elysian X with R01 versus DX300 Max , it is more enjoyable from the Max due to how I perceive the sound to be a bit more “digital” sounding. But I’m weird and I just prefer the sort of effortlessness that r2r implementations bring to my ears.

I like a lot of vocal trance, melodic bass, and psy trance for the most part.

I think my preference here in this direct comparison of 3Max to R01 is more of tonality than actual implementation. I hear 3Max to be quite warm in the treble, it doesn’t sound good with A12t for example.

The way R01 presents music to me just sounds so “real” to my ears and what I use as my own basis of reference.

Aug 29, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #7,105 of 8,192

I know you weren’t asking for my opinion but I thought I’d chip in as I listen to a LOT of electronic music and own multiple DAPs including the N6ii/R01. In fact I’m listening to some synthwave and darkwave on the R01 as I type this. My experience is that it sounds phenomenal.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #7,106 of 8,192
I'm not a knowledgable EDM fan or anything but I love the way R-2R DACs reproduce analog synth sounds. Any music that uses vintage synths from the 70s, or samples derived from those instruments, tend to benefit from ladder DACS based on what I've heard from my music library.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #7,107 of 8,192
I know you weren’t asking for my opinion but I thought I’d chip in as I listen to a LOT of electronic music and own multiple DAPs including the N6ii/R01. In fact I’m listening to some synthwave and darkwave on the R01 as I type this. My experience is that it sounds phenomenal.
This might not be the place to ask, accept my apologies if that is the case. Im looking for good recorded with good dynamics electronic music albums. Would you be able to name the top 5 from your list?

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #7,108 of 8,192
Last friday I went by car to the German Cayin distributor and finally received "the real thing", the Ti.
(One week before I've gotten a test device, the black one with R01 board)

Here're my impressions:

Sound: Beautiful and natural, more enjoyable than my A&K DAPs, I really can't believe this :L3000:

Software, UI and user experience:
Unfortunately in almost every sense inferior compared to A&K.

- Whenever new music is added to the device a full scan is required, which is not the case for A&K
- Gapless playing is not working sometimes, because of micro gaps
- Sort keys cannot be disabled, only rearranged, whenever I drag a key (like Genre) to the lower area of the screen it always jumps back to the upper part of the screen (this was working on the black N6ii, maybe because of different player versions?), tested with Cayin and HiBy
- The Google Play Store app seems to be completely useless since nothing can be downloaded because the app is too old (version 14.9.70)
- Changing the wallpaper is not possible using device settings, only from within the Gallery app (took a while to find this out)

Then I encountered a strange behavior in both the players which drove me nuts:

I arranged the sort keys in the following order: Album artist, Album, Title and so on
On the SD card I had the following albums (CAYINMUSIC is the SD card's label):
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/Alan Parsons/The Time Machine
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/Alan Parsons/Try Anything Once
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Pyramid
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Songbook
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Ammonia Avenue

The first two albums are tagged as Alan Parsons for album artist as well as artist, the lower three albums are tagged as The Alan Parsons Project respectively (got them all from Qobuz).

In both the players the last three albums were visible under album artist "Alan Parsons", but with empty title list (although they're situated in a completely different folder and were tagged differently). I had to retag the lower 3 albums and move them to the "Alan Parsons" folder to get access to the titles.
The same thing happenend with Bruce Hornsby and Bruce Hornsby & The Range.

All in all I'm a happy Ti user, but I wish I could at least install a more decent player from the Play Store.
Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00110_resized.jpg
    DSC00110_resized.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #7,109 of 8,192
Last friday I went by car to the German Cayin distributor and finally received "the real thing", the Ti.
(One week before I've gotten a test device, the black one with R01 board)

Here're my impressions:

Sound: Beautiful and natural, more enjoyable than my A&K DAPs, I really can't believe this :L3000:

Software, UI and user experience:
Unfortunately in almost every sense inferior compared to A&K.

- Whenever new music is added to the device a full scan is required, which is not the case for A&K
- Gapless playing is not working sometimes, because of micro gaps
- Sort keys cannot be disabled, only rearranged, whenever I drag a key (like Genre) to the lower area of the screen it always jumps back to the upper part of the screen (this was working on the black N6ii, maybe because of different player versions?), tested with Cayin and HiBy
- The Google Play Store app seems to be completely useless since nothing can be downloaded because the app is too old (version 14.9.70)
- Changing the wallpaper is not possible using device settings, only from within the Gallery app (took a while to find this out)

Then I encountered a strange behavior in both the players which drove me nuts:

I arranged the sort keys in the following order: Album artist, Album, Title and so on
On the SD card I had the following albums (CAYINMUSIC is the SD card's label):
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/Alan Parsons/The Time Machine
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/Alan Parsons/Try Anything Once
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Pyramid
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Songbook
/CAYINMUSIC/Music/The Alan Parsons Project/Ammonia Avenue

The first two albums are tagged as Alan Parsons for album artist as well as artist, the lower three albums are tagged as The Alan Parsons Project respectively (got them all from Qobuz).

In both the players the last three albums were visible under album artist "Alan Parsons", but with empty title list (although they're situated in a completely different folder and were tagged differently). I had to retag the lower 3 albums and move them to the "Alan Parsons" folder to get access to the titles.
The same thing happenend with Bruce Hornsby and Bruce Hornsby & The Range.

All in all I'm a happy Ti user, but I wish I could at least install a more decent player from the Play Store.
Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
I can't speak about the tagging issue, as I tag all my stuff myself and never stream (OCD) but I agree the gapless issue on both native apps is unfortunate and annoying.

The alternative is to use Neutron and USB Audio Player Pro. The former gives you as much control as you like and sounds excellent, but is ugly and has a stiff learning curve. The latter is more accessible, sounds good, and will also scan files as you load them rather than having to scan the whole card.

I would personally prefer to use the native Cayin app, but the lack of gapless rensers it useless to me. Shame.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #7,110 of 8,192
I agree with post above, R-2R are good to electronic music, especially old electronics music, like Detroit from 70s, 80s, old track DJ Shadows and DJ Krush listening very pleasure better than module E01, A01. New electronic music like last two albums Mondo Grosso are phenomenal, Billie Eilish decay to a little bit slow, but layers of bass and vocal Billie awesome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back