Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #6,646 of 8,192
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #6,647 of 8,192
Without wishing to repeat myself, I've been listening to the R01 fairly consistently over the weekend and I have to underscore how remarkable this module sounds *especially* with the IE900. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, the pairing has the best "synergy" I've heard in any unit. The IE900 already sounded very good from my set-up and I don't think it's at all a picky IEM, but the level of detail and coherence with the R01 is outstanding. Simply outstanding. Everything is just an absolute pleasure to listen to - dynamics are punchy without being aggressive, detail retrieval is crystal clear without being fatiguing, the timbre is musical and engaging while retaining a high level of fidelity to the source. I compared this pairing with the A02/C9 and ended up preferring the R01 alone - the C9 of course adds soundstage and a grander sense of space, but I find the R01/IE900 produces a more taut and focused musical presentation. If you have the R01, you owe it to yourself to try the IE900 with it.

Naturally, I'm now looking for a desktop R2R unit with the same tonality as the R01. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #6,649 of 8,192
What's that beautiful orange N6II case??? Where to buy? 😳
It's the Dignis Callia Cayin N6ii Case. I bought it from Zeppelin & Co who are based in Singapore. Sadly, it's no longer available. It would be good if Dignis made a few more of them as it's a stunning case with a very good fit for the N6ii.

Perhaps it's worth contacting Zeppelin and Co directly? They have some ways to contact them here:

https://zeppelinandco.com/pages/contact-us

Dignis themselves don't have much of a website but I think they have some social media presence.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6,650 of 8,192
Without wishing to repeat myself, I've been listening to the R01 fairly consistently over the weekend and I have to underscore how remarkable this module sounds *especially* with the IE900. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, the pairing has the best "synergy" I've heard in any unit. The IE900 already sounded very good from my set-up and I don't think it's at all a picky IEM, but the level of detail and coherence with the R01 is outstanding. Simply outstanding. Everything is just an absolute pleasure to listen to - dynamics are punchy without being aggressive, detail retrieval is crystal clear without being fatiguing, the timbre is musical and engaging while retaining a high level of fidelity to the source. I compared this pairing with the A02/C9 and ended up preferring the R01 alone - the C9 of course adds soundstage and a grander sense of space, but I find the R01/IE900 produces a more taut and focused musical presentation. If you have the R01, you owe it to yourself to try the IE900 with it.

Naturally, I'm now looking for a desktop R2R unit with the same tonality as the R01. Any recommendations would be welcome.
Audio-GD. Very serious stuff. I just have the R27 amp/dac and R1 DAC to test at home.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #6,651 of 8,192
It's the Dignis Callia Cayin N6ii Case. I bought it from Zeppelin & Co who are based in Singapore. Sadly, it's no longer available. It would be good if Dignis made a few more of them as it's a stunning case with a very good fit for the N6ii.

Perhaps it's worth contacting Zeppelin and Co directly? They have some ways to contact them here:

https://zeppelinandco.com/pages/contact-us

Dignis themselves don't have much of a website but I think they have some social media presence.
Thank you so much.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #6,652 of 8,192
@gonzfi: Please let us know what version you are on now, and how things are going. Myself, I won‘t update to any v 6 - a big thank you for your heads-up.
So i was using the latest 'v6.something' after the update.... Qobuz was for me completely unusable. Most songs just wouldn't play. The app didn't crash but wouldn't start playing any tracks. I deleted it and downloaded it again. I deleted the files in the cache. No joy. So I downloaded a 'v5.something' apk and now fine. Not sure if the problem was with my player (N6ii Ti with R01) or a more general problem with the android version on the n6ii. Tbf no one else seems to have reported such an issue. Who knows. I doubt Qobuz will be particularly bothered given such a small percentage of its customers use this DAP. So therefore I can't be arsed to report it to them. Which is bad of me I know.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,654 of 8,192
So i was using the latest 'v6.something' after the update.... Qobuz was for me completely unusable. Most songs just wouldn't play. The app didn't crash but wouldn't start playing any tracks. I deleted it and downloaded it again. I deleted the files in the cache. No joy. So I downloaded a 'v5.something' apk and now fine. Not sure if the problem was with my player (N6ii Ti with R01) or a more general problem with the android version on the n6ii. Tbf no one else seems to have reported such an issue. Who knows. I doubt Qobuz will be particularly bothered given such a small percentage of its customers use this DAP. So therefore I can't be arsed to report it to them. Which is bad of me I know.
Yes, from watching the a.m. Audiophile Style Qobuz Issues Thread, it seems v6 is a bag full of regressions and bugs on all operating systems (Windows, Android, 2x Apple). No problem if you don‘t want to take the labor and pain to report there.

Receiving a heads-up here about things going bananas with Qobuz is well worth everybody‘s efforts.

Myself and another head-fier, we are fighting with Qobuz on a very serious matter for 4 months now, from v5.15 all the way to 5.20. With v6 being released, we might have been tempted to jump onto it and see whether our issue would be solved. So happy about your heads-up preventing that accident.

The general point with high-end DAPs and (streaming) software is that our DAPs are merely a tiny niche …

Glad you got your problem sorted out by going back to some v5 APK.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,655 of 8,192
Regarding Qobuz streaming, I have resorted to use UAPP with its Qobuz integration very often now. Worked quite well for me. It remains to be seen whether Qobuz does also destroy its partner integration with some new v6 API.

Very unfortunately, with UAPP one loses downloading for offline usage. But then, the original Qobuz concept for storing offline contents is a horrible misconception, it stores every track as many chunk files of 2MB size each. You end up killing your Android performance by having tens or hundreds of thousands chunk files sitting on the SD card when you downloaded just a few hundred albums (bad with 16/44.1 already, but increasingly horrible with higher resolutions).

And one loses getting access to the album booklets (pdf) with UAPP. Personally, I consider that a pity, but everybody‘s mileage might vary on that detail.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #6,657 of 8,192

The R01 sounds very very similar to the Denafrips Ares 2. I owned it and upgraded to the Pontus 2

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #6,659 of 8,192
The nice thing about the Cayin case is that there is stamping on the outside under the wheel cutout for the button controls. The 3rd party cases I’ve seen don’t have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back