Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #5,401 of 8,192
I did some DSD listening (native DSD on A01, Cayin Music App), and I really liked what I heard. Way better - more dynamic, musical, engaging, less technical - than what my Chord Hugo 2 does with DSD (internal decimation even when fed native, lackluster audio results). Bravo, N6ii!

Two questions came up during this, dear @Andykong:

Incidentally, I happened to hit Play while no headphone was connected. The Android status bar surprisingly showed 176.4kHz, and long-pressing the audio info at the bottom of the cover display said s.th. like ”PCM“. Remark: I am writing this from memory, and I didn‘t look at it systematically.

When a headphone is connected, everything is okay: Both the status bar and the music app info show the proper 2.8, 5.6 or 11.2MHz sample rates, 1 bit. Unplugging the HP let’s it jump to the 176.4 or 88.2kHz displayed rates.

Question 1, please: Is this an intended behavior? And if it is correct, why is Cayin doing this?

Question 2: I would be glad if you @Andykong could elaborate on DSD in light of what you explained previously (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...rized-smart-dap.904153/page-354#post-15947280). DTA and DSD and so on.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Question 1
That's an intended behaviour. When you unplug your headphone, the DAC and the complete analogue circuit will enter idle status.

Question 2
Do you have any specific issues in mind? The DTA is a bypass mechanism, it doesn't differentiate between PCM or DSD in the bypass process.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #5,402 of 8,192
My D90 is definitely not an MQA DAC (there's a more expensive version of the D90 that is MQA-capable). I read up a bit more on MQA today and I think this is working because the full unfolding is taking place in the N6ii and this unfolded datastream is being sent to my D90 with no MQA information. Perhaps the D90 is just seeing a PCM datastream that it simply needs to convert to analogue?

It would be interesting to see if this also happens over USB. I'm using I2S so it might be specific to that, but I'll test a USB connection at the weekend.

Whatever it is, I'm really delighted by this!

Looking forward to the testing result, it would be great if N6ii can output fully unfolded bitstream to non-MQA DSD from USB. I just tried coaxial, it didn't work, my non-MQA DAC only recognise it as 88.2kHz bitstream.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #5,403 of 8,192
Question 1
That's an intended behaviour. When you unplug your headphone, the DAC and the complete analogue circuit will enter idle status.

Question 2
Do you have any specific issues in mind? The DTA is a bypass mechanism, it doesn't differentiate between PCM or DSD in the bypass process.
Hi @Andykong, welcome back to helping your users / customers. Thanks for answering.

/wrt 1: Okay, understood.

/wrt 2: Good to hear that DTA is applied to both PCM and DSD.

My open question wrt DSD refers to the T01 module:
- PCM capability goes up to 192kHz, fine. Agrees with the TI (BB) PCM1792A data sheet.
What is done in case of DSD, though? Native DSD, of course!
- When I play any of DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, both the Cayin and HiBy apps as well as the Android status bar show rates of 2.8, 5.6, 11.2 MHz.
- However, the TI (BB) PCM1792A data sheet states ”sampling rates 2.8MHz“ only, ”system clock frequency 2.8-11.2 MHz“. As a layman, I would think the PCM1792A will handle only DSD64 natively.
- On the other hand, the T01 specs by Cayin state the DSD capability to go up to DSD256.

Could you please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,404 of 8,192
Hi @Andykong, welcome back to helping your users / customers. Thanks for answering.

/wrt 1: Okay, understood.

/wrt 2: Good to hear that DTA is applied to both PCM and DSD.

My open question wrt DSD refers to the T01 module:
- PCM capability goes up to 192kHz, fine. Agrees with the TI (BB) PCM1792A data sheet.
What is done in case of DSD, though? Native DSD, of course!
- When I play any of DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, both the Cayin and HiBy apps as well as the Android status bar show rates of 2.8, 5.6, 11.2 MHz.
- However, the TI (BB) PCM1792A data sheet states ”sampling rates 2.8MHz“ only, ”system clock frequency 2.8-11.2 MHz“. As a layman, I would think the PCM1792A will handle only DSD64 natively.
- On the other hand, the T01 specs by Cayin state the DSD capability to go up to DSD256.

Could you please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
The timing specification of PCM1792A said it already, and I don't intend to go into technical detail of DSD256 handling in PCM1792A but TI stated that it supports DSD256 in their support forum, and If you look around, there are PCM1792A based DACs (e.g., Fostex HP-A4BL) and DAPs (e.g., Plenue S and Opus #3) support DSD256 as well, so we are not the only one implementing DSD256 with PCM1792A.

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #5,405 of 8,192
The timing specification of PCM1792A said it already, and I don't intend to go into technical detail of DSD256 handling in PCM1792A but TI stated that it supports DSD256 in their support forum, and If you look around, there are PCM1792A based DACs (e.g., Fostex HP-A4BL) and DAPs (e.g., Plenue S and Opus #3) support DSD256 as well, so we are not the only one implementing DSD256 with PCM1792A.
Thank you for answering and pointing to that older discussion. No need to go further into TI PCM1792A details.

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #5,406 of 8,192
Hi folks, looking for help with a question wrt ”balanced“. I would like to use the balanced outputs from my A01 and T01, and maybe I‘ll treat myself to an E02. My IEM is a Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote.

So I am looking for a balanced cable. I had been directed to the 4.4-balanced to 3.5-single-ended converter plug - grateful for that hint.

Nevertheless, I‘d like to continue my search for a ”true“ balanced cable and ask here specifically:

A cable option that I can find in Germany is:
https://headphonecompany.com/produkt/alo-audio-reference-8-in-ear-kabel/
Is that an appropriate balanced cable (that word doesn’t occur on that web place)? Would this cable work nicely with the Xelento Remote (MMCX) and the Cayin N6ii DAP (4.4 mm)? Any experience out there? Thanks in advance.

I had also been pointed to the Effect Audio Ares II+ balanced cable, but it seems I can‘t find it in Germany.

PS: I‘d like to point out that I stay away from the big selling websites (like that well-known Big A, and Aliexpress etc) as long as possible. And I have negative experience regarding international shipping and customs, things simply got lost ... I do prefer local dealers or at least a not too big German shop website.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #5,407 of 8,192
Dec 12, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #5,408 of 8,192
Looking forward to the testing result, it would be great if N6ii can output fully unfolded bitstream to non-MQA DSD from USB. I just tried coaxial, it didn't work, my non-MQA DAC only recognise it as 88.2kHz bitstream.

I'll try to get this tested in the next day or two. I'm trying to locate my USB cables that I previously used to test the USB connection.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #5,409 of 8,192

I tested with USB and got only 96kHz playing a masters track.

Here's how I tested: Use USB-C OTG cable + 'printer' USB cable between N6ii and Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA DAC). Set N6ii output to S/PDIF. Set D90 to USB input. TIDAL app running on N6ii. Played a CD-quality track first. Interestingly, the D90 showed 96kHz??? This might have been TIDAL replacing CD-quality with MQA CD-quality. Played a full Masters track and still the D90 showed 96kHz.

Swapped to I2S interface (settings in N6ii). Used mini-HDMI to HMDI cable between N6ii and D90. Set D90 to IIS input. Played a 'normal' CD quality track. D90 showed 44.1lHz. Played a full Masters track and the D90 showed 384kHz.

So it looks like the I2S interface is really the one to use if your external non-MQA DAC supports it, if you want to get full MQA sample rate.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #5,411 of 8,192
I tested with USB and got only 96kHz playing a masters track.

Here's how I tested: Use USB-C OTG cable + 'printer' USB cable between N6ii and Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA DAC). Set N6ii output to S/PDIF. Set D90 to USB input. TIDAL app running on N6ii. Played a CD-quality track first. Interestingly, the D90 showed 96kHz??? This might have been TIDAL replacing CD-quality with MQA CD-quality. Played a full Masters track and still the D90 showed 96kHz.

Swapped to I2S interface (settings in N6ii). Used mini-HDMI to HMDI cable between N6ii and D90. Set D90 to IIS input. Played a 'normal' CD quality track. D90 showed 44.1lHz. Played a full Masters track and the D90 showed 384kHz.

So it looks like the I2S interface is really the one to use if your external non-MQA DAC supports it, if you want to get full MQA sample rate.

That confirmed my earlier response, I have stated state MQA is meant for local playback only in the past, and looks like I need to adjust my FAQ now.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #5,412 of 8,192
Can someone help me to obtain high resolution audio from Cayin n6ii? I am using the unlocked (paid) version of Onkyo HF Player but regardless of the flac/dsd file, I always get PCM 44.1 only. Please help!
You need some Hi-Res content to play, that you have to buy on top of the price of the music app you use.

There are some free sample files you can download here to test your setup, including MQA if you want to test those:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #5,413 of 8,192
Hello ,I has a issue with my n6ii when i plug to 4.4 mm to play . My iem has hiss on right side , However . I dont't hear on 3.5 mm.
Everyone here has a same problem as mine. If i can module it will solve my issue . Thank you

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #5,414 of 8,192
You need some Hi-Res content to play, that you have to buy on top of the price of the music app you use.

There are some free sample files you can download here to test your setup, including MQA if you want to test those:

http://www.2l.no/hires/
Sorry I have not made myself clear. What I want to know is can Onkyo HF Player plays high resolulation files like the stock Cayin Music (that is, get the correct resolution as it from the 4.4mm plug without using external DAC? For example, I played FLAC 192 but Onkyo HF Player showed only PCM 44.1. I don't use external DAC.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #5,415 of 8,192
Hello ,I has a issue with my n6ii when i plug to 4.4 mm to play . My iem has hiss on right side , However . I dont't hear on 3.5 mm.
Everyone here has a same problem as mine. If i can module it will solve my issue . Thank you

I assume you are using A01 or T01? This is unusual.

You are using a 4.4mm headphone cable? or any adapter in between?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back