Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #5,371 of 8,192
Dear Andy, could you suggest to solve my problem with N6ii? It is draining battery in standby too fast. 20-30% down in 24 hours. No HF inserted, just laying on the table. And geolocation icon is always on the screen. Is there any ability to switch off any geolocation activity for Android?
I had a 15% battery drain overnight. It was in standby. No cable was attached and to my knowledge all apps were switched off.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #5,372 of 8,192
First time after a few weeks to try out a TIDAL Masters (MQA) track streamed via the Android TIDAL app on my N6ii. Pretty happy with the sound quality and the full MQA decoding providing 352.8kHz sample rate!

eX0i2EH.jpg

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #5,373 of 8,192
Dear @Andykong, could you suggest to solve my problem with N6ii? It is draining battery in standby too fast. 20-30% down in 24 hours. No HF inserted, just laying on the table. And geolocation icon is always on the screen. Is there any ability to switch off any geolocation activity for Android?

Most likely relate to your usage and Android setup. My standby time is much better, did you turn off WiFi during standby?

You can check and manage the previledge you have granted to each app, I left my N6ii at the show venue, can someome post the screen capture of these setup for reference?

There is also battery drain analysis in the Android setup screen to tell you which app is eating your battery after long hours of standby.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 27, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #5,374 of 8,192
So here is a potentially nice surprise with my N6ii. I'm using it as a digital source via its I2S interface into my external Topping D90 DAC. My D90 DAC is not an MQA-decoding DAC. When I play a Masters track from the TIDAL app in my N6ii, I see it fully decoded in the N6ii's display. Surprisingly to me, I also see the full sample rate on my external D90 DAC (which is not an MQA decoding DAC).

m15ZHQ2.jpg

Could someone explain to me what is happening in terms of the datastream chain?

I appear to be getting a fully decoded MQA datastream into my external DAC for the D-to-A conversion.

My audio chain is N6ii running TIDAL --> I2S --> Topping D90 DAC.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #5,375 of 8,192
Most likely relate to your usage and Android setup. My standby time is much better, did you turn off WiFi during standby?

You can check and manage the previledge you have granted to each app, I left my N6ii at the show venue, can someome post the screen capture of these setup for reference?

There is also battery drain analysis in the Android setup screen to tell you which app is eating your battery after long hours of standby.

Here you go.

To get to the App Permissions screen. Go into Settings --> Apps & notifications --> App permissions
Iy7jN5r.jpg

To see your battery usage, go into Settings --> Battery
jEn8iFF.jpg

Finally, I have the Automatic Time Zone setting turned off - this uses WiFi to determine which country you are in. To enable or disable this setting, go into Settings --> System --> Date & time
KAAHBow.jpg

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #5,376 of 8,192
Oh yeah usually i use them with airplane mode on. This seems to extend the battery when idling

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #5,377 of 8,192
Here you go.

To get to the App Permissions screen. Go into Settings --> Apps & notifications --> App permissions
Iy7jN5r.jpg

To see your battery usage, go into Settings --> Battery
jEn8iFF.jpg

Finally, I have the Automatic Time Zone setting turned off - this uses WiFi to determine which country you are in. To enable or disable this setting, go into Settings --> System --> Date & time
KAAHBow.jpg
Thanks a lot! I have erased all data to factory settings by double erase, as was suggested by one of the R6 Pro user from Russia. Looks like he has same problem with his dap. Due to same software developer (Hiby), maybe it will help for me also. He said that procedure eliminated the problem of battery drain on his R6 pro DAP.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #5,378 of 8,192
So here is a potentially nice surprise with my N6ii. I'm using it as a digital source via its I2S interface into my external Topping D90 DAC. My D90 DAC is not an MQA-decoding DAC. When I play a Masters track from the TIDAL app in my N6ii, I see it fully decoded in the N6ii's display. Surprisingly to me, I also see the full sample rate on my external D90 DAC (which is not an MQA decoding DAC).

m15ZHQ2.jpg

Could someone explain to me what is happening in terms of the datastream chain?

I appear to be getting a fully decoded MQA datastream into my external DAC for the D-to-A conversion.

My audio chain is N6ii running TIDAL --> I2S --> Topping D90 DAC.

Is that allowed, AFAIK that isn't allowed on an non-MQA dac? Are you sure your D90 isn't an MQA DAC? It could be a bug, a good bug for once. Hopefully its not fixed. :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #5,379 of 8,192
Is that allowed, AFAIK that isn't allowed on an non-MQA dac? Are you sure your D90 isn't an MQA DAC? It could be a bug, a good bug for once. Hopefully its not fixed. :)

My D90 is definitely not an MQA DAC (there's a more expensive version of the D90 that is MQA-capable). I read up a bit more on MQA today and I think this is working because the full unfolding is taking place in the N6ii and this unfolded datastream is being sent to my D90 with no MQA information. Perhaps the D90 is just seeing a PCM datastream that it simply needs to convert to analogue?

It would be interesting to see if this also happens over USB. I'm using I2S so it might be specific to that, but I'll test a USB connection at the weekend.

Whatever it is, I'm really delighted by this!

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #5,380 of 8,192
My D90 is definitely not an MQA DAC (there's a more expensive version of the D90 that is MQA-capable). I read up a bit more on MQA today and I think this is working because the full unfolding is taking place in the N6ii and this unfolded datastream is being sent to my D90 with no MQA information. Perhaps the D90 is just seeing a PCM datastream that it simply needs to convert to analogue?

It would be interesting to see if this also happens over USB. I'm using I2S so it might be specific to that, but I'll test a USB connection at the weekend.

Whatever it is, I'm really delighted by this!
I agree, that is what is happening. Over USB I'm 90% sure the stream is limited to first unfold so 88 or 96Khz but I would be interested to read about your findings.

I thought (assumed) that full unfold was not allowed on a digital stream but I may be wrong, I usually am. :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #5,381 of 8,192
I did some DSD listening (native DSD on A01, Cayin Music App), and I really liked what I heard. Way better - more dynamic, musical, engaging, less technical - than what my Chord Hugo 2 does with DSD (internal decimation even when fed native, lackluster audio results). Bravo, N6ii!

Two questions came up during this, dear @Andykong:

Incidentally, I happened to hit Play while no headphone was connected. The Android status bar surprisingly showed 176.4kHz, and long-pressing the audio info at the bottom of the cover display said s.th. like ”PCM“. Remark: I am writing this from memory, and I didn‘t look at it systematically.

When a headphone is connected, everything is okay: Both the status bar and the music app info show the proper 2.8, 5.6 or 11.2MHz sample rates, 1 bit. Unplugging the HP let’s it jump to the 176.4 or 88.2kHz displayed rates.

Question 1, please: Is this an intended behavior? And if it is correct, why is Cayin doing this?

Question 2: I would be glad if you @Andykong could elaborate on DSD in light of what you explained previously (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...rized-smart-dap.904153/page-354#post-15947280). DTA and DSD and so on.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #5,383 of 8,192
I’m excited to have just purchased the N6ii with E02 module! I intend to use with the Denon 9200 (and to a lesser extent maybe the Verite Closed if it can drive them). I plan to stream mainly from Qobuz.

I noticed a lot of folks here using IEMs (none of which I have never had the pleasure of hearing as of yet).

Any tips as I wait? Is anyone using these with the Denon 9200? Looking forward to joining the group.

rich

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #5,384 of 8,192
The E02 gives great sound and hopefully you’ll enjoy it. It is crisp and clear and adds a level of detail I did not find in the A01. When I bought my N6ii (came with A01 board) it needed 50 hours of burn in to open it up. When I got the E02 I just gave it 50 hours run time before I started using it.

I only stream and I use Tidal Masters MQA. The quality of the music can be top draw. However, this hi-res music really puts a drain on the battery. I do little things to try and keep the battery charge longer, such as turning off all non essential apps and closing down the dap at night. There are discussions about this on the last few pages of this thread. Some also recommend to remove the headphone jack from the 4.4 socket of the E02 as having that connected can add to battery use even if you are not using it. I believe their are also discussions of this on this thread.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #5,385 of 8,192

The problem with too much battery drain is solved. I have performed dual data erase using guidance by Andy. That was very useful, because it is not very easy to enter to N6ii’s recovery menu. Now it is about 15% of battery drain when wi-fi switched on. But I think it is not the best result, that can be achieved for DAP. The battery drain is only caused by Android 8 OS. It is not hardware problem. Before N6ii I have been owned HiBy r6. Stock firmware have been based on Android 6 OS. And battery drain in standby mode with WiFi switched on was about 2-3% in 24 hours. After firmware was upgraded to ver. based on Android 8, battery drain become same 15-18% in 24 hours. I have downgraded the fw back to Android 6 based version and continued using r6 in same manner with only 2-3% loss of battery charge level. My only one question: why Hiby software developers was smart enough to incorporate DTA into Android 8, but leave all other components, that draining battery as it is? DAP - it is not smartphone - there are a lot of Android components that are not serve to DAP’s purposes, but draining battery every minute. Why not to optimize fw of N6ii in order to save battery voltage? Maybe Hiby fw developers just did’t get this item in specification for fw developing from Cayin? Maybe DTA was mentioned there, but battery drain optimization was not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back