Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Nov 15, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #5,341 of 8,192
UAPP: fine for Tidal (Better than stock app?) plus if you want to try out Morphit and EQ
Native players: fine for native DSD playback

I do not use Tidal, cannot comment on that. My choice is uapp, because its UI appeals to me - very intuitive and lightweight in positive sense. Both Cayin and Hiby look clumsier (a.e., сannot display the covers and scroll the folder tittle in the "folder" section). For the reason of UI I disregarded neutron as well.

Fairly speaking, all mentioned apps sound great on dsd. At least, I cannot figure any noticeable difference in sound. And I can live with decreased bitrate figures in status bar)))

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #5,342 of 8,192
It is solely the issue of uapp , cayin does not have anything to do with that. A time ago I got in touch with the uapp dev and here is the comments from first hand:

"..
We use the direct mode but we haven't found anyone who could deliver adb logs such that we know how to play native DSD. Therefore you get DSD-to-PCM conversion. Hiby does not have a HiRes direct driver and uses the MediaPlayer API, which in this case leads to native DSD playback because Cayin probably implemented that at system level.
.."

If you insist on having native dsd playback, you have to forget about uapp and use either cayin or hiby app. Komisch, aber so ist die bittere Wahrheit )))
Thanks a lot. Well, for me there is another strange and bitter truth. Off-topic, but nonetheless: I also own a Chord Hugo 2 DAC, got it before my N6ii, use it mainly in my desktop rig. The point about DSD with the H2 is, unless I am awfully mistaken: It accepts true DSD and DoP, but it decimates it before conversion; people say the designer (Rob Watts, a highly admirable engineer and music person) thoroughly detests DSD. Whatever is true, any DSD via my H2 just sounds lackluster, while PCM is grandioso.

Insisting on native DSD playback from the N6ii? Leaning towards Yes, and this post tells the Why.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #5,343 of 8,192
It is solely the issue of uapp , cayin does not have anything to do with that. A time ago I got in touch with the uapp dev and here is the comments from first hand:

"..
We use the direct mode but we haven't found anyone who could deliver adb logs such that we know how to play native DSD. Therefore you get DSD-to-PCM conversion. Hiby does not have a HiRes direct driver and uses the MediaPlayer API, which in this case leads to native DSD playback because Cayin probably implemented that at system level.
.."

If you insist on having native dsd playback, you have to forget about uapp and use either cayin or hiby app. Komisch, aber so ist die bittere Wahrheit )))
Dear @Andykong and also @CayinSupport, I’d like to ask you for your help in this matter, since I‘d love to get native DSD from UAPP. Could you please help in convincing Cayin to cooperate with the UAPP developer and provide insight on how to play DSD? This would be marvelous! Thank you so much in advance for any efforts.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #5,345 of 8,192
Some of you may already be aware of this: TIDAL has recently massively increased the number of Masters tracks in the TIDAL catalogue. With the relatively recent implementation of MQA support in the N6ii, you may find that some of your CD-quality songs in TIDAL are now available in a Masters version. TIDAL playlists are automatically updated with Masters versions of songs where they are available in MQA format.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #5,347 of 8,192
Dear @Andykong and also @CayinSupport, I’d like to ask you for your help in this matter, since I‘d love to get native DSD from UAPP. Could you please help in convincing Cayin to cooperate with the UAPP developer and provide insight on how to play DSD? This would be marvelous! Thank you so much in advance for any efforts.

We don't have any plan to establish a partnership with UAPP at this stage. HiBy Music is our solution provider and UAPP is a competitor of HiBy. If UAPP has any problem that need our support, they can write to us and we'll try our best from there on. We can't promise anything at this stage, the IP of some of the playback control are owned by our solution provider HiBy Music and they might have reservation to share the technical detail with their competitor.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #5,349 of 8,192
Thanks, looks promising. I will try that soon.

On the other hand, that doesn‘t sound as well. But why would UAPP do this D2P decimation on the N6ii? From the UAPP description in the Google Play Store:
DSD-over-PCM und native DSD-Wiedergabe; DSD-in-PCM-Umwandlung, wenn der D/A-Wandler kein DSD unterstützt (Formate: DFF, DSF)
In English:
UAPP does DoP and native DSD; transcoded D2P in case the DAC does not support DSD (formats: DFF, DSF)
Same on the UAPP website. Plus, the website lists our N6ii as a UAPP-compatible device.

Dear @Andykong, I feel a need for a precise statement regarding the DSD capabilities of the N6ii and its four modules. Native, DoP, D2P, which rates are actually handled how?
From the English Cayin website:
A01: Native decode DSD256 in all places
T01: “Hardware“ decode DSD256 in all places
E01: “Hardware“ decode DSD256 in the black graphics
E02: Native decode up to DSD256, and “hardware“ decode up to DSD256 in the black graphics
A02: Not described on the English Cayin website
Is there a deliberate distinction between native and hardware decode? For T01 I would expect a rate Limitation for DSD as well as PCM.
Please help me and clarify DSD handling. Thanks a lot in advance.

So from all the “advertising“ I would have hoped for native DSD from UAPP with all N6ii modules.

Hardware decode include both native decide and DoP, Native decode is as the name suggested, native only, without DoP. Theoretically there could be a different when your CPU or DSP is not powerful enough to handle the additional processing load required by DoP to unpack the data, but I can't hear the different between Native and DoP in N6ii so far.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #5,350 of 8,192
As the N6ii now supports MQA, would it be possible to include MQA capability in the HiBy Music app? I imagine plenty of people listen to local FLAC files and stream music via TIDAL.

The HiBy Music App in N6ii is MQA ready, have you tested it with MQA music files?

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #5,352 of 8,192
We don't have any plan to establish a partnership with UAPP at this stage. HiBy Music is our solution provider and UAPP is a competitor of HiBy. If UAPP has any problem that need our support, they can write to us and we'll try our best from there on. We can't promise anything at this stage, the IP of some of the playback control are owned by our solution provider HiBy Music and they might have reservation to share the technical detail with their competitor.
Thank you @Andykong for answering, despite the disappointment in it.

Anyway, this situation is just similar to what happens on Linux. In order to feed a native DSD stream to say a USB-DAC, the information of how this DSD stream shall look like needs to be provided by the DAC manufacturer to someone who patches the Linux core. Chord Electronics sadly has not provided this for its DACs, e.g. the Hugo 2. So I can only send DoP from my Linux laptop to the H2, not native DSD. Of course, DoP is a bit-perfect representation of the DSD data, so it sounds identical. However, with DoP one loses the topmost sample rate capability of the DAC. (Reason: DSD64 is sort of ”equivalent“ to 88.2kHz, but DoP64 takes 176.4kHz, and so on.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back