Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jan 14, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #3,481 of 8,192
I remember reading some impressions of the E01 where it was said that you needed to listen to it at a low volume and under ideal conditions...is this true? If so it would be a deal breaker for me. I love the A01 but would like to try another board with my n6ii.

I’m still figuring out the E01 sound. I have the T01 as well as the A01 (though the A01 hasn’t gotten much listening time yet).

In my opinion, the T01 might be the ‘safer’ option of the two (vs E01) if someone is completely unsure/undecided. Listening to the E01 for the past week has been nice as well, though. I kind of need more time to decide :)

I dont even think of that. Rather deal with other things.
Fair enough! I definitely noticed a difference from the default filter with E01, so thought I would ask!

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #3,482 of 8,192
@starck86 Give E01 a bit of time indeed, it's worth it :)

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,484 of 8,192
being a big fan of class a amps and have build a lot of them over the last years i hoped for a high biased amp/dac modul when i saw the only singelended output from the e01 treaser - and the wish was fullfield :) so i ordere the module asap.

it's now in the house since around 2 weeks - well burned in. the es9038pro is a fine neutral/natural sounding dac chip, has lost the es9018 flavor for good. imo it's even more neutral as the akm4497. depends a lot of the implementation but the akm has often a tad smooth/gentle sound signature, the modul a01 is one that even increased this nature. both chips are very good even in a single chip desing. love that you can choosed your prefed dac filter setting, my preference with most dac chips from different manufacturer is the slow roll-off minimum phase filter.

the first day i was a bit puzzled about the class a setting of the e01 module. when you build a class a amp and set the bias the sound changes from (low bias) energetic/speedy to dynamic/effortless to thick/rounded (imo to high bias). the effect of a too high biased class a amp is often that the powersupply isn't stable enough for the demanding continous power. this was the effect i heard with the class a vs class ab modus, so i preferd the class ab with his better dynamic and a lot wider stage, class a stage was even a bit colapsed and 2 dimension. so i assumed the module was underpowered in class a modus.

but i was wrong, this effect is only when you use the modul in low gain and class a, as soon you change to medium/high gain and class a the amps part performs excelent. i think low gain isn't enough to drive the transistors within a good range. set to medium or high gain class a opens the stage in all 3 dimension as with class ab but adds effortless and easyness of the presentation. a good class ab amp sounds often a bit more dynamic and powerful.

cayin tuned this module very nice, class ab is more neutral and true to orginal with nice snappy dynamics, fine wide exact soundstage, solid attacks. class a is biased a tad higher as most class a amps i know but only a tad imo to get imo some gentle harmonics similar a fine tube amp. soundstage is wide, a tad rounded like in a more damped room without loosing placement, dynamics flows very effortless, attacks are more in line with the music. imo clever made, for me this is more a class a- and class a+ module, not at all dry like some other chips amps.

personally i like class a mode with m/h gain more, it sounds more real like being in the opera or a not overamped life konzert. there is a room, are people and furniture thus loosing some details which you can only hear from records with many mics and fine mixing. but of course depends on mood and gear, both options are excelent for the price.

vs my wm1z the performance is near as good, tad better resolution with the sony. price whise the cayin/e01 is the better deal.

didn't tested the module with hard to drive headphones/iem. works effortless with the tia trio, ier-z1r, lab2, zmf verite, so so with the diana phi. overall more powerful then i expected.

next module.. how about a dual pcm1702 with a nice upsampling dsp and two pga2311 :wink:

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #3,485 of 8,192
Here is a message regarding the 4.4mm to 2.5mm adaptor with the N6ii E01 package.

For users who have bought the initial N6ii E01 package, you may have noticed that we didn't encase the 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adaptor (model name: PH-4X) within the INITIAL N6ii E01 package, which differs from N6ii A01 and N6ii T01 package. This was mainly because the E01 Audio Motherboard only has one 3.5mm single-ended output connector. However, we have recognised that our users may be purchasing other audio motherboards, in which you would not receive the adaptor if you buy an audio motherboard on its own.

So we have decided to provide the 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adaptor to all customers who have bought the N6ii E01 bundle.

To our users who have bought the initial N6ii E01 package which didn't include the adaptor, please contact your dealer for collecting the adaptor FOR FREE.

For our customers who will be buying the N6ii E01 package, you don't need to be worried about it. Because we will encase the adaptor in the N6ii E01 package from now on.

Thank you for reading this message.

Best regards,

CayinSupport

4_011.gif

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #3,486 of 8,192
@CayinSupport I’m looking for a cayin n6 ii with A01 to buy in Europe but it seems that it’s out of stock everywhere. When is Cayin planning to ship new stocks to Europe?:)

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #3,487 of 8,192
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #3,488 of 8,192
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #3,489 of 8,192
Thanks @stenog, I’ll drop them an email.

@msiekkb I check audiomagic website but I cannot see the n6ii listed? :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #3,490 of 8,192
Yes, because there are no add to website. In this weekend will be adding to website store.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,491 of 8,192
Hi,

Sorry for your inconvenience.

We have uploaded our latest Cayin USB Audio Driver v4.47 to Google Drive, you should download it without any problem.

Please click here to download it.

Please be aware that if you are using it with N6ii and our latest products including DAPs, it should be fine. But if you are using any older products with your PC, you might need to download an older version of our USB Driver. Please check the table below.

mo1r4VP.jpg

best regards,

CayinSupport
Hi @Andykong, I just wanted to get the USB driver 4.47 for Windows. My antivirus software (Norton) did not complain about the en.cayin.cn website, but for the life of mine I couldn‘t find any ”download“ button on the ”Support > Downloads > Announcement of USB driver 4.47 for Windows“ page. This happens when using the English version of cayin.cn, i.e. en.cayin.cn. And it happens both with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox. I found a ”download“ button only on the Chinese page.

Maybe you want to check and correct. Thanks!

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,493 of 8,192
I received an E01 last night from Musicteck. I have about 5 hours with the E01 so I wanted to give an initial review vs. the A01 module that I bought the Cayin with. Shout out to Musickteck for an easy transaction and almost instant shipping. I have and have had a lot of gear in the past, including top of the line DAPs from AK and currently have an Onkyo DP-X1 and an iBasso DX160. I have also listened to a lot of different desktop and portable systems. So my impressions are against all of those.

I have only as yet used the E01 with my Westone W80's and Beyerdynamic Amiron wired. I find the W80's to be on the neutral to warm side. I picked the Amiron's because I think they are good performers across the board and are a bit hard to drive. And so I didn't choose headphones such as my T1's or Elear's which I will get to this weekend. I was listening now mostly for enjoyment so I listened primarily to rock and classic rock, all hi-res and remixed or remastered recently, and music that I am very familiar with.

For those who do not want to read on, my initial impression is I am smitten with the E01's. I have not enjoyed a portable source this much in a long time. This experience was exactly why I love music and what it does for me viscerally. I was focused more on musicality and enjoyment rather than technicalities, and the E01 absolutely delivered. I enjoyed the AB mode more which I find to be slightly more airy and punchy. I will go through my impressions now throughout the frequency range.

Bass: The bass is very present and full. I would not describe it as boomy or anywhere close to what a basshead would be looking for. I find the bass to be presented well as in it is there when it is in the mix and it is not there in an anemic mix. At no time do I feel the low end is boomy. Even in music that isn't well mastered or is fast moving such as Ozzy Osbourne's No More Tears album, I never felt the sound was muddy or the bass struggled to keep up.

Mids: Mids were lush and clear. There was weight to every note without ever devolving into mudiness. Voices and harmonies were full and beautiful. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was a stereo marvel to behold. The harmonies were huge, full and eveloping. Somebody to Love was powerful and dynamic and gave me chills. Neil Young's voice was engaging and intimate on Heart of Gold and Old Man, while his guitar provided a sense of power and counterbalance.

Treble: Treble was not overly extended but it was detailed and clear yet smooth. It was easy to listen to most music for long periods of time. Treble was always more than sufficient to balance mids and bass so music never sound muted, muddy or muffled.

Overall balance of the E01 seems excellent. There was never boominess nor muddiness, even if treble was not overly extended. This is a module that sounds like an excellently tuned tube system. Although I enjoyed the AB mode more than A mode because of its airness and punch, A mode still had a sweet musicality. The most amazing discovery for me was that the sound stage of the E01 for me was both extremely deep and extremely wide, much more so than on almost any system I have listened to to-date. This was especially true with the pairing with the Amiron. The soundstage, for some reason I cannot pinpoint, sounded absolutely huge. Instruments were out of my head and layering was clear and lush. Bohemian Rhapsody was a near religious experience. I finished my listening sessions with Paranoid Android by Radiohead and the final vocal and musical passages absolutely soared as if from a great height.

One caveat - as a previous reviewer mentioned, I kept the E01 on high gain for both the W80's and the Amiron, even though the W80's are extremely easy to drive. The E01 seemed to open up the more gain that was fed to it.

I may purchase the T01 module today also so that I can compare and see which I like best.

At this point, perhaps I am being over the top. But, as great of an all around performer the A01 module is (and it truly is great), there is just something musical and special to me about the E01. I am very much looking forward to when the module fully burns in and I can't wait to analyze the technicalities of the module this weekend. But honestly, who cares about those things when it sounds this good?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,495 of 8,192
Has anyone tried to compare Cayin N6II with E01 with Calyx M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back