Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #663 of 8,192
Thanks.
Whenever a new DAP is released, the most important question for me is how good is the EQ. Cause I am an EQ freak.
I wish Cowon would release an Android DAP.

N6ii is Android DAP, so obviously you can load any music app you want to. By default it comes with HibyMusic app and CayinMusic app (modified version of HibyMusic). Both apps use Hiby's EQ which in addition to 10 bands also has pre-amp adjustment. When you enable EQ, there is no fixed volume drop, volume stays the same, but you can adjust "AMP" slider if you want to create (or reduce) headroom. And of course, HibyMusic app also has MSEB dsp effects, CayinMusic app doesn't have MSEB. I'm sure you are familiar with HibyMusic app, it's free on Google Play.

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #664 of 8,192
N6ii is Android DAP, so obviously you can load any music app you want to. By default it comes with HibyMusic app and CayinMusic app (modified version of HibyMusic). Both apps use Hiby's EQ which in addition to 10 bands also has pre-amp adjustment. When you enable EQ, there is no fixed volume drop, volume stays the same, but you can adjust "AMP" slider if you want to create (or reduce) headroom. And of course, HibyMusic app also has MSEB dsp effects, CayinMusic app doesn't have MSEB. I'm sure you are familiar with HibyMusic app, it's free on Google Play.
How are you finding the n6ii twister?

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #665 of 8,192
How are you finding the n6ii twister?

It's addictive :wink: The tonality is different from most of the other flagship sources I have access to, so there is no overlap, and I'm enjoying it.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #666 of 8,192
I've been going back and forth on the DX220 and N6ii and appreciate the comparisons thus far. I already own the Amp8 and sold my DX200, so I was nearly set on the DX220 when I read quite a few posts saying they liked the N6ii more. Now, I'm leaning toward the N6ii instead despite the price gap, but it would seem that between the DX228 and N6ii there is a significant difference in output power. It looks like the DX228 is something like 1200mW into 32 ohms and the N6ii is something like 500mW and some change? I wonder how this will affect IEMs that are very hard to drive like my IER-Z1R. Most of mine are easy to drive and I don't use any full-sized headphones, but this is a factor it seems with Z1R. Just thinking out loud here and hopefully someone can tell me I need not worry and N6ii power is sufficient :)

-Collin-

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #667 of 8,192
I've been going back and forth on the DX220 and N6ii and appreciate the comparisons thus far. I already own the Amp8 and sold my DX200, so I was nearly set on the DX220 when I read quite a few posts saying they liked the N6ii more. Now, I'm leaning toward the N6ii instead despite the price gap, but it would seem that between the DX228 and N6ii there is a significant difference in output power. It looks like the DX228 is something like 1200mW into 32 ohms and the N6ii is something like 500mW and some change? I wonder how this will affect IEMs that are very hard to drive like my IER-Z1R. Most of mine are easy to drive and I don't use any full-sized headphones, but this is a factor it seems with Z1R. Just thinking out loud here and hopefully someone can tell me I need not worry and N6ii power is sufficient :)

-Collin-
I'm running the N6ii with the R1Z right now. It's my favourite pairing in portable audio right now ... These are relatively hard to drive and scale with power. In this pairing it's the best I've heard them.

IMG_20190605_133927.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #668 of 8,192

-Collin-

Calculating the power required the IER-Z1R (103dB SPL/mW, 40 Ohm) it needs around a measly 50mW to drive to 120dB! You won’t (shouldn't) ever be listening that loud for long.

Yes, the N6ii has waaaaay more power than the IER-Z1R needs, or will ever actually use. I suspect any impression of ‘needing’ more power is more a matter of synergy, or it’s just relatively more difficult compared to even more super sensitive IEMs, but the IER-Z1R is still very easy to drive.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #669 of 8,192
For the record, A01 is the first Audio Motherboard in our N6ii project, we didn't call it "stock" Audio Motherboard, and we didn't mean that either. So I can confirm again that when the second Motherboard become available, Cayin will offer option to purchase N6ii with the second motherboard directly. We are still working out on the logistic and inventory options under different scenarios, will keep everyone informed by August when we have a working prototype for second audio motherboard.

can you name the DAC in Motherboard 2 ?

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #670 of 8,192
I'm running the N6ii with the R1Z right now. It's my favourite pairing in portable audio right now ... These are relatively hard to drive and scale with power. In this pairing it's the best I've heard them.

That's not Z1R in the picture :wink: But with Z1R, what gain setting and volume do you use to drive them?

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #673 of 8,192
No it's the IMR R1 Zenith. I was just making the statement that the N6ii runs this IEM exceptionally well and it is power hungry....

Damn, R1Z vs Z1R, you got me! :D

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #674 of 8,192
Calculating the power required the IER-Z1R (103dB SPL/mW, 40 Ohm) it needs around a measly 50mW to drive to 120dB! You won’t (shouldn't) ever be listening that loud for long.

Yes, the N6ii has waaaaay more power than the IER-Z1R needs, or will ever actually use. I suspect any impression of ‘needing’ more power is more a matter of synergy, or it’s just relatively more difficult compared to even more super sensitive IEMs, but the IER-Z1R is still very easy to drive.

While I appreciate you bringing logic and reason to the equation, you haven't been to the Z1R thread have you? The folks over there say that if you don't have a full 2-channel speaker system amp to drive the Z1R, it sounds terrible, thin, metallic and worse than Airpods! :)

Now on a serious note, thank you for the response and that is great to know. I do have to turn up my TA-ZH1ES desktop amp up higher than any other IEM I have owned to date, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since it's still on low gain and not cranked all the way up. I suppose I'll take the risk and if it's terrible with the Z1R, I will relegate the Z1R to desktop use anyhow and use one of my other IEMs.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back