Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #5,702 of 8,192
E02 Motherboard just ordered. Orb IEM's and Penon Leo Plus 4.4mm Headphone cable arriving Monday. I also ordered two ISN Leads, Type C USB to 3.5mm and another to 4.4mm, so I can use my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone with the C9 (when it arrives end of month) and A02/E02. I have Tidal installed on the mobile (I know it will not decode MQA) and this will make an excellent backup on its own as well. The ISN leads decode to 32bit/384kHz DSD64/128 via its inbuilt DAC/Amp adaptor. Should be interesting. At the moment I'm limited to listening to the N6ii with A02 via LO through my Tube Amp and it really is stupendous!

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #5,703 of 8,192
E02 Motherboard just ordered. Orb IEM's and Penon Leo Plus 4.4mm Headphone cable arriving Monday. I also ordered two ISN Leads, Type C USB to 3.5mm and another to 4.4mm, so I can use my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone with the C9 (when it arrives end of month) and A02/E02. I have Tidal installed on the mobile (I know it will not decode MQA) and this will make an excellent backup on its own as well. The ISN leads decode to 32bit/384kHz DSD64/128 via its inbuilt DAC/Amp adaptor. Should be interesting. At the moment I'm limited to listening to the N6ii with A02 via LO through my Tube Amp and it really is stupendous!
I think A02 is really a spectacular motherboard. Many users consider it as a significant step up from the other four motherboards. Of course, it’s use case is also much more limited.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #5,704 of 8,192
I think A02 is really a spectacular motherboard. Many users consider it as a significant step up from the other four motherboards. Of course, it’s use case is also much more limited.
I have to agree 100% on the sound its superb. I don't fully agree with you on the use case being limited. Before I got the Ni amp I found it limited in use, I didn't "get it" which is why I sold my first A02 now I have the small and light Ni amp the A02 is probably the only module I need. Yes I need an extra amp but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages for my use case. I'm not sure on the C9 yet but I can use the Line-In on my HA2SE as well The A02 is perfect and I'm so glad I've managed to get another for a reasonable price.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #5,705 of 8,192
Calling all owners of N6ii, can you please share your battery endurance please? here's mine:
- N6ii with E02 Module, usage with Wifi and BT turned off, playback of Tidal Offline files in Hifi/Master format. Driving fully balanced Etymotic ER4SR 45 Ohm at 32-38/100 volume High Gain setting, DAC/Amp mode AB. Device has been cycled fully charged and discharged over 5 times.

Non stop playback = 8 hours

* is that normal? was expecting closer to 10 hours.....
First of my tests conducted. Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth off.
Streaming Tidal through my Tube Amp via RCA cables and LO of the N6ii/A02 combo: 6 Hrs 22m.
For some unknown reason, when using the UK Radio App downloaded from the PlayStore, the N6ii cuts out/disconnects after 2.5Hrs.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #5,706 of 8,192
I can use the Line-In on my HA2SE as well The A02 is perfect
I decided to try that while I wait for C9, what a surprise. I haven't had the HA2SE out it's box more than a couple times since it was a bit underwhelming with other setups but this one is nice indeed. Using iBasso SR-2 phones. 20210318_102422.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,707 of 8,192
I decided to try that while I wait for C9, what a surprise. I haven't had the HA2SE out it's box more than a couple times since it was a bit underwhelming with other setups but this one is nice indeed. Using iBasso SR-2 phones.20210318_102422.jpg
It is good isn't it plus you get the bass boost a L-H gain to use as required. :)

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #5,708 of 8,192
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #5,709 of 8,192
Does anyone know of a way to remote control the N6ii? I’m looking for a way to simulate the side buttons:

Start/stop (pause)
Previous song
Next song

And I want to do this using my iPad or iPhone.

Some background: my N6ii is usually installed in my bedside headphones system and acts as a digital transport. I set off UAPP, Cayin Music or the TIDAL app playing and sometimes I want to repeat a song or skip a song but it’s awkward to reach over and use the side buttons.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #5,710 of 8,192
Does anyone know of a way to remote control the N6ii? I’m looking for a way to simulate the side buttons:

Start/stop (pause)
Previous song
Next song

And I want to do this using my iPad or iPhone.

Some background: my N6ii is usually installed in my bedside headphones system and acts as a digital transport. I set off UAPP, Cayin Music or the TIDAL app playing and sometimes I want to repeat a song or skip a song but it’s awkward to reach over and use the side buttons.
On Android you can use Hiby Music to link up with N6ii and activate the remote functions

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5,711 of 8,192
On Android you can use Hiby Music to link up with N6ii and activate the remote functions
Actually I forgot I recently installed the HiByMusic app on my iPad (iOS) and could remote control Cayin Music on my N6ii using HiByLink. It works perfectly! However, I’m looking for something that is system-wide. I’ll see if HiByMusic, via HiByLink, can control other music apps running on the N6ii.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #5,712 of 8,192
@Cayin support , I have 1.15 CN firmware version, can I update to 2.2CN directly or I have to update it incrementally like EN version. If I can directly upgrade to 2.2CN, where to find the firmware (I tried to follow the link provided by you when you answer a user here, but I cant find anything there.

p.s. I have tired to download all the N6ii firmware from Cayin chinese language website, but its really hard to download from baidu, because they want me to install the client of baidu and ask me to log in. please help.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #5,713 of 8,192
@Andykong: I think the operating system of the N6ii needs a little fix in the audio settings (pull-down from the system status bar). I have the E02 module, and have purchased the iFi 4.4mm-to-XLR symmetric cable to run the N6ii into my desktop headphone amp (Violectric V281). BTW, thanks for pointing that cable out - a great addition.

The nuisance is with the Line Out Gain selector in the Audio Settings (Lo, Med, Hi). No matter what I have selected and used while listening, that setting is returned to "Hi" after a boot of the DAP. It would be nicer if the operating system would remember the chosen setting across boots. Thanks in advance for checking into that.

BTW, it's a great precautionary measure to always remind the user to be careful when switching Line Out mode on. And to always return in Phone Out mode after a boot, not in Line Out mode. These things should remain as they are, of course.

EDIT: Of course, firmware is the most recent one, 2.2 EN.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #5,714 of 8,192
Admittedly, I need a little education regarding Android device connectivity. Basically, what I want to do is take the USB-C digital output from the N6ii into my laptop‘s USB-A input and record digitally with e.g. Audacity. I do also wish to take the N6ii USB-C output into some USB-DAC with micro-A input.

When hooking the N6ii USB-C up to my laptop with the Cayin stock USB-C to USB-A cable, I am unable to see the N6ii on the computer as a digital sound input, neither on Windows, nor on Linux. Driver problem? Conceptual problem of mine? Side remark: Using the USB-C to USB-A between N6ii and laptop of course works well for charging and data transfer.

What am I missing? Does one need an OTG (On-The-Go) cable? Is there such a thing as OTG in the USB-C of the N6ii? (I picked up a remark somewhere that USB-C has no OTG, but that might be completely wrong.) Funny, there are tons of USB-C to female USB-A OTG cables, e.g. to connect an AudioQuest DragonFly dongle to an Android (smartphone) device, but I couldn‘t find any USB-C to male USB-A OTG to connect the N6ii to a laptop‘s USB-A receptable.

Please, give me your help. Probably I am very mistaken in my concepts. Any clarification is highly welcome. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #5,715 of 8,192
Admittedly, I need a little education regarding Android device connectivity. Basically, what I want to do is take the USB-C digital output from the N6ii into my laptop‘s USB-A input and record digitally with e.g. Audacity. I do also wish to take the N6ii USB-C output into some USB-DAC with micro-A input.

When hooking the N6ii USB-C up to my laptop with the Cayin stock USB-C to USB-A cable, I am unable to see the N6ii on the computer as a digital sound input, neither on Windows, nor on Linux. Driver problem? Conceptual problem of mine? Side remark: Using the USB-C to USB-A between N6ii and laptop of course works well for charging and data transfer.

What am I missing? Does one need an OTG (On-The-Go) cable? Is there such a thing as OTG in the USB-C of the N6ii? (I picked up a remark somewhere that USB-C has no OTG, but that might be completely wrong.) Funny, there are tons of USB-C to female USB-A OTG cables, e.g. to connect an AudioQuest DragonFly dongle to an Android (smartphone) device, but I couldn‘t find any USB-C to male USB-A OTG to connect the N6ii to a laptop‘s USB-A receptable.

Please, give me your help. Probably I am very mistaken in my concepts. Any clarification is highly welcome. Thanks a lot in advance.
That can't be done with a USB cable AFAIK. The connections are there in the N6ii's USB C socket though because there is a USB C to SPDIF accessory cable available. I would get one of those cables and assuming you have an SPDIF input on your PC you will be "good to go".

I can't see any reason why you would want to do this but it would be possible using this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back