Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #4,111 of 8,213
The e02 takes cayin n6ii to top tier in my view. I own an n8, sp2k, lpgt, wm1z and the n6ii competes with them all with this amp. It's also lighter and more portable than the others, other than the lotoo. This is as close as I have got to a mini n8. I'm going to sell some of my other daps.

BTW I want that romi amp!

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #4,112 of 8,213
The e02 takes cayin n6ii to top tier in my view. I own an n8, sp2k, lpgt, wm1z and the n6ii competes with them all with this amp. It's also lighter and more portable than the others, other than the lotoo. This is as close as I have got to a mini n8. I'm going to sell some of my other daps.

Brief impressions of the E02 sound signature by any chance ? Especially compared to the Sp2000.

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #4,113 of 8,213
Brief impressions of the E02 sound signature by any chance ? Especially compared to the Sp2000.
Classic cayin to me, warmer and more musical than the sp2k. The sp2k is more technical and the sound is more layered. Both very different to me. Very much like comparing the n8 and sp2k.

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #4,115 of 8,213

If I may ask, what is the rest of your audio chain? I'm mostly interested in single-ended sound quality for portable use as I am already using the N6ii I2S interface to connect to an external DAC and head amp for home use.

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #4,116 of 8,213
I'm fortunate enough to already have an e02. First day with it but this turns the n6ii to totl dap level. In my opinion of course

Agreed. If you’re impressed by the E01 you’ll be blown away by E02!

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #4,119 of 8,213
@Andykong The 4.4mm wiring diagram for the E02 seems to be conforming to the Sony pentacon specification. Can you confirm?

The 4.4mm pentacon connector specification is owned by JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association) and the 4.4mm connectors in A01, T01, and E02 conform to the JEITA specification completely. In other word, we have connected L+, L-, R+, R- and GND as illustrated below.

1587821104729.png

Sony is the earliest user of the 4.4mm connection, but Sony doesn't own the standard, and I am not so sure if Sony conform to that specification completely. You have to consult Sony for that, especially whether the GND is connected. If in case, the GND in the 4.4mm is not connected, the method that I suggested (single-ended line out or phone out from 4.4mm TRRRS) is NOT applicable.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,120 of 8,213
what are the differences in sound ?

With Valkyrie just doing a quick back and forth between E01 (A/B), E01 in its own right is of course excellent.

E02 though, in low gain (I’ve used medium with other cards), is like switching to iMax for your ears and seriously blows E01 out the water. Bests it at every turn: detail retrieval, staging (width & depth), imaging, separation....I could go on!

Basically it turns the N6ii into something you’d have to spend top dollar on to compete with or best (in my opinion).

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #4,121 of 8,213
If I may ask, what is the rest of your audio chain? I'm mostly interested in single-ended sound quality for portable use as I am already using the N6ii I2S interface to connect to an external DAC and head amp for home use.
Out and about with n6ii with e02 ive been using andromeda, ier z1r and obravo erib 1c. No other amp or anything. At home I usually use the n8

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #4,122 of 8,213
So, E02 in. First listens.

Lower mids are warmer than the T01 with extra thickness. Stage width is wider. Little bit more depth and instrument separation. There's an easiness to the stage that gives a very real feeling. It really highlights the holographic stage that the UERR can cast. I'm using the UERR right now to get my bearings. The T01 had a touch of harshness right out of the box, this has a touch of softening/smoothing in the lower mids. Impact on drums is great on both T01 and E02. Barb Jungr's voice on Many Rivers To Cross is strident at times on both, it's just the recording (QP2R is a little gentler). Listening to Blind Willie McTell off of Walking In The Sun, I get great dynamics and a special feel to the staging. Details absolutely pop with the E02, and I can't wait to hear what this sounds like after it has some time to breath. Volume levels were the same on both audio motherboards with the UERR. Both T01 and E02 are nice and powerful amps. I never needed to use more than low for any set of IEMs. Both can also easily drive the Sendy Audio Aiva (that base 4.4mm cable comes in handy). I tried the HE-1000 v2 with the Sendy Audio Aiva cable and that is a big NO. Maxed out volume had nowhere near enough power. Soundstage was tiny and dynamics were crushed, volume was light too. Don't bother with the super hard and moderately hard to drive stuff on the N6ii. The QP2R does a much more respectable job with the HE-1000 v2, even though it's spec sheet says that it should fall over and die--current mode amplification is magic.

I've set up volume matching for a couple reviews that I have coming up, so look out for reviews of other stuff using the T01 audio motherboard on my blog. I'll now be setting the E02 up for 3 days or more of burning in to get it up to the recommended range.

Also of note, the touch of hardness on the T01 calmed down after 50 some odd hours of constant music playing. Good deal. It's still a touch on the lean and dry side in the mids, but the fatigue of unknown frequency has carried itself away.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #4,123 of 8,213

Have you heard the E01? If so how would you compare them? If anyone else can offer an E01 vs. E02 comparison that would be helpful. IMHO the E01 board in itself brought the n6ii to the top tier...really curious how the E02 improves on it.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #4,124 of 8,213
Have you heard the E01? If so how would you compare them? If anyone else can offer an E01 vs. E02 comparison that would be helpful. IMHO the E01 board in itself brought the n6ii to the top tier...really curious how the E02 improves on it.

I'm interested in this too. The E01 in Class A mode has tremendous synergy with my beyer Xelento IEMs. The E02 must be an incredible module to better the E01 in Class A mode.

Mind you, the E02 uses the same DAC chips as my Topping D50 DAC, and in the same configuration, and that sounds amazing. I understand it's all about implementation, but Topping implements DACs very well. If it is as good as the sound from my D50 then it's a serious consideration for me.

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,125 of 8,213
I'm interested in this too. The E01 in Class A mode has tremendous synergy with my beyer Xelento IEMs. The E02 must be an incredible module to better the E01 in Class A mode.

Mind you, the E02 uses the same DAC chips as my Topping D50 DAC, and in the same configuration, and that sounds amazing. I understand it's all about implementation, but Topping implements DACs very well. If it is as good as the sound from my D50 then it's a serious consideration for me.
i also prefer class A over A/B with E01 , so a compairson of E01 A vs E02 would be great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back