Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Oct 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,831 of 1,977
Hi, I'm new to this HiFi world and trying to catch up. I received a pair of decent headphones and now I'm looking for a good DAP.
I have already asked in the "advice" forum and the N6 was one of the recommendations. I'm interested because I can purchase it for a decent price. I noticed the prices in Canada are a bit higher than US for example.

My question is, will a inexperienced person like me be able to use it? I've only played years ago with a Sansa.
Does the unit come with easy to follow instructions for a beginner?

Thank you for any advice.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,832 of 1,977
Hi, I'm new to this HiFi world and trying to catch up. I received a pair of decent headphones and now I'm looking for a good DAP.
I have already asked in the "advice" forum and the N6 was one of the recommendations. I'm interested because I can purchase it for a decent price. I noticed the prices in Canada are a bit higher than US for example.

My question is, will a inexperienced person like me be able to use it? I've only played years ago with a Sansa.
Does the unit come with easy to follow instructions for a beginner?

Thank you for any advice.
Yes, everything is very easy on the N6. Its a very good sounding dap and easy to use.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,833 of 1,977
I have put the N6 v4.3 into my Google drive, you can try this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hOfIpcK24hNFNzSnNXQXVmOEE

The download link of the N6 v4.3 is as follow, please follow the installation instruction.
http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13433

Hi Andy,

Thank you! the FW download was successful & fast! 
smile.gif

All I need to do right now is installing the 4.3 FW

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,836 of 1,977
Hey I'm am having a problem with my n6. After it gets to around 65 percent it automatically tells me to charge my n6. Is there anything I can do?

It seems to get  to around zero percent after it hits 65 percent is that normal?

Yes, you can try to recalibrate the battery gauge. While Lithium battery installed in N6 does not have memory effect, it does has what we called inaccurate gauge issue, and this problem is quite common when a battery has been idled and/or drained for a long time. If you run into inaccurate battery reading or sudden power off when the duration period didn't add up, I suggest you do a gauge calibration to verify the problem. In fact this is something that we all should be doing occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

(1) turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
(2) Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
(3) Set the screen to minimum brightness and 30sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.

Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration. If not, we'll have some data to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 1, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,837 of 1,977
I have two announcement from Cayin that will relate to N6 DAP

First of all, We proudly announced that our complete line of portable products (i5, N5, N6, C5, and C5DAC) have been designated as hi-res audio (HRA) products by the Japan Audio Society and we can address our products with the Hi-Res Audio logo with immediate effect. All the newly produced certified Hi-Res Audio products will carry the Hi-Res Audio logo on its package, and a Hi-Res Audio sticker will be included as standard accessories.

The logo is a recognition of our achievement, it will not improve or change the sound quality of our equipment, so we don't believe there is a need to retrofit previous production. We shall continue to live up to our belief: to unleash the power of music, to convey the feeling of the musician, and to produce high quality audio product that is affordable and adorable.

For detail of the Hi-Res Audio announcement, please check out the following link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/824484/cayin-portable-products-certified-for-hi-res-audio

The second announcement is related to the USB DAC function of Cayin products. Cayin has developed an Universal USB Audio Driver that will simplified and also improved the USB function of our product.

Using DAP as external sound card to enhance the performance of your computer facility is one of the common practice among CAS users, the process is fairly straight forward if you are using Linux or OS X based computer facilities because these devices support USB Audio Class 2.0 natively. As of today, Window based system only support USB Audio Class 1.0 and to fully explore the potential of Hi-Res audio, a device drivers will be required. Depends on the system you are using and the computer skill of the users, the driver installation process can be more tedious then expected, especially after Microsoft implemented the Driver Signature Enforcement practice.

As user experience becomes an indispensable part of a modern sound system, Cayin has taken the need of our customers seriously and developed a proprietary USB Driver for all Cayin USB-based products.

The advantages of Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver are:
  1. The device drive can install like any regular application, there is no need to connect the audio equipment to the computer facility in advance (with exception of Windows XP system).
  2. No implication or system security adjustment is required, including driver signature enforcement
  3. Once installed all Cayin USB-based products will plug-and-play device with your Window based facilities, there is no need to switch to another driver when you change your Cayin equipment.
  4. Explore full potential of your Cayin USB-based audio equipment. For example, iDAC-6 can now operate in ASIO native mode to achieve DSD256 native decoding.

the Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver is available in two versions, download the appropriate version from Cayin website (en.cayin.cn/download).
  • Windows 7 and above (http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13481)
  • Windows XP and Vista (http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13480)

Detail installation procedure is available in the driver download page of Cayin website, please check it out if you are using the USB DAC function of the N6 DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 6, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,841 of 1,977
From what I can see from that amp's website, there's 2 inputs you could use easily with the n6; both would be connected to the lineout jack on the n6 (the one furthest from the power button). Firstly you could use a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable into the RCA inputs on the amp, secondly you could use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm (both male) cable to connnect to the 3.5mm input on the amp. Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back