Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Oct 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,531 of 1,977
@bavinck Really?! Can you please share some pics of the N6 in your pocket?

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,532 of 1,977
I like looser fitting pants, if you like them skinny ones the kids are wear these days you might find the n6 uncomfy:)

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,533 of 1,977

i haven't spent a lot of time listening to the n6 yet, but it's clear the n6 is better than the dx90.  comparing the two, the latter has a slightly bloated, loose bass - that's the biggest difference, though in general the n6 has more air - a wider soundstage with more precise imaging. the dx90 is still very good, though.  

when the n6 is $500 i would say it is clearly a better value than the dx90 at $400.  if the n6 is $620, then the values are more similar, and it would mostly be a matter of budget, though the dx90 has some physical advantages- a better form factor and the ability to swap in s3 batteries.  i'm actually waiting for a qp1r [talk about blowing budgets!] and i'm curious how it will compare with the n6.

Eagerly awaiting your comparison between the N6 and QP1R.

spent some time last night and this morning a/b'ing the n6 and qp1r, using k812's.  the n6 has more air but the sound is thinner.  for most music that i listen to, the n6 doesn't sound thin, however. it's only in comparison with the qp1r that you notice that the qp1r has a richer, fuller tone.  the two are roughly equal in positioning the instruments, but where the n6 positions each instrument within a frame of surrounding "air," the qp1r fills the space with the rich, full tone it produces - you can still pinpoint the source, but it doesn't have the sense of each source being a bit isolated or separated from the other sources.  they both have a tight, well-controlled and extended bass - again, the qpir is a bit lusher.  the difference is greater in the treble:  for example, martha argerich's piano, in the bach partita 2, sounded tinny via the n6.  with the qp1r it sounds like a relatively bright piano [compared to, say, perahia's instrument], but not tinny.

btw: for those looking for comparisons with the dx90- the n6 is better than the dx90.  when the n6 is $500 it is a better value than the dx90 at $400.  [check price history and set an alarm at camelcamelcamel dot com to catch the $500 price].  comparing the n6 to the dx90, the former has more air, sounds more open, and has a tighter bass.  i had never realized that the dx90 has a loose, somewhat blubbery bass until i compared it with the n6.  see above for the n6 compared to the qp1r.  if you're on a budget, the n6 at $500 is probably a better value than the qp1r at $900.  but if you have the money the qp1r is clearly superior.  also the qp1r is smaller and more pocketable - height and width somewhat smaller, noticeably thinner as well.

btw- i was using the k812 at low gain, but i see that questyle is recommending high gain.  i'm going to have to go back and see if there's further improvement.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,535 of 1,977
  So those of us happy with the Cayin N6 should skip the QPR1???

i was happy with my dx90 for over a year.  i was still happy with it when i decided to try the n6.  the n6 was better, and only hearing the n6 allowed me to perceive the limitations of the dx90.  

there's nothing to be unhappy about with the n6. but the qp1r sounds better.  listening to the qp1r clarified for me the limitations of the n6.  

i have no question that i'd tell someone to get an n6 for $500 over a dx90 for $400.  an n6 for $610 vs the dx90 is more of a tossup.  but this is just revealing how I weigh dollars vs my personal perception of sound.  these tradeoffs might be different, even substantially different, for you.

an n6 for $500 [what i paid using camelcamelcamel] is, i think, a bargain, and a greater value than a qp1r for $900.  you're getting more quality per dollar.  if your budget is constrained the n6 can provide great sound at a great value and leave some money left over to invest in better headphones.  if you're not so budget constrained, then i think the extra expense of the qp1r is absolutely worthwhile, but not as much of a bargain. [i.e. you get significant added value for your extra $400, but with some diminishing returns.]

over in the qp1 thread there are people saying they prefer the qp1r to the much more expensive ak240 and ak380.  i haven't heard those ak daps, and i also haven't heard the hm901s or the lotoo paw gold, which some consider the totl.  perhaps i would think they sounded better still; i don't know.  but if there are careful listeners who think the qp1r is in the same league as the ak240, let alone prefer it to the ak240, then perhaps the qp1r is a terrific RELATIVE bargain within the very high end dap market.

i'm stopping with the qp1r, at least for now and for the foreseeable future.  having had, appreciated, and enjoyed both the dx90 and the n6 is what allows me to appreciate just how good the qp1r is.  and although i could afford more for one of the ak's or the lotoo, i doubt they would be better enough [if at all] to justify the huge increase in expense.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,536 of 1,977
Budget is always getting in the way!

These days it's easy to go crazy and over spend (diminishing returns start to kick in), so value is my target....very happy with the Cayin N6 after

having a couple of Sonys and Fiio X-series....

Now i dont know what i'd do if i heard the QPR1...still, 400.00 more is quite a leap for my pocketbook.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,537 of 1,977
I went with the AK120ii instead of the N6. There was no chance for auditioning, so I had to base my choice on reviews, and the fact I wanted super sleek, no hassle interface. The size difference also played a role.

For $1040, the AK is a bloody steel, and I know I made the right choice every time I listen to it.

I would sill love to hear the N6 someday. This QuestStyle thing has me even more interested.

I'm in no hurry, though. The AK120ii will be with me for a long time to come. It sounds too good to let go of.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,538 of 1,977
Pinky: Stay away from those shows then....you'll come back a poorer guy...maybe happier but poorer!

I was lucky enough to be on a tour for the Cayin N6 and liked it enough to make it my one and only (for the moment)

I do happen to use it alot as a DAC only coming out of my Macbook Pro....sounds very good that way as well.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,539 of 1,977
Pinky: Stay away from those shows then....you'll come back a poorer guy...maybe happier but poorer!

Yeah. And this site is no better. :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,541 of 1,977
Yeah. And this site is no better.
smily_headphones1.gif

What a Life! Eh?

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,542 of 1,977
has anyone compared the N6 or QP1R to Cowon P1? The P1 is on its way but still curious how the N6 compares more so with the Questyle. I was initially considering the N5 but went straight with the P1 because of a very good deal I got. If only the QP1R is <=$700, I would have taken the plunge in a heartbeat (due to glowing reviews and the current amp tech it has).

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,543 of 1,977
Hi, wanna ask Im using the n6 in dac mode plugged into a computer. I have set my control panel sound output to 16bit/44.1k but after messing around the player shows 24bit/44.1k....i tried changing around it stucks at 24bit...how do i change it to 16bit...the tusb software doesnt allow me to change the output stream either

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,544 of 1,977
Im now a week with N6 after Fiio x5 and i would say that its significant step forward in the sound. Very rich, deep and engaging device.

The only concern is the battery lifetime.. Its 2-3 times less than the x5. Are there any tricks to stretch the battery? Firmware? Any settings?

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,545 of 1,977
Im now a week with N6 after Fiio x5 and i would say that its significant step forward in the sound. Very rich, deep and engaging device.

The only concern is the battery lifetime.. Its 2-3 times less than the x5. Are there any tricks to stretch the battery? Firmware? Any settings?

Ya, battery sucks. My understanding is it is caused by that beautiful sounding amp. To get the sound, you pay the battery price. No tricks to my knowledge, other than plug it in whenever you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back