Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Jun 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #1,186 of 1,977
So I wanted to ask Cayin that maybe they can add some feature like "Analogue - HD/DSD" in Music options which would tame highs and hashness a little bit and maybe add a little body to the music? Lol, magic option :)

The thing is there is a very big demand for this feature on this player. If it would have this feature it would be perfect from all aspects. Currently it is quite problematic to use it with a wide variety of earphones which are bright/resolving.

It would be really great if we can just switch between detailed/bright presentation and musical/warm one. This would be Cayin killer feature.

I read that Cayin mentioned that they would like to skip such features but if it is physically and costwise possible to implement it I think you would get a lot of new Customers who would jump on this player.

I like everything about this player but upper midrange/highs sometime turn me off because they are too bright. I am very sorry but if there are no changes planned to be done firmware wise I would have to sell this player and move further trying to find more musical/warm :frowning2:

I'd suggest trying different headphones instead and give the player some time. The headphone is the number one stop when looking for a prefered sound signature and the players job is just to present the music 'as it is' in the best way possible. The N6 does this quite well. There is also the EQ to play with.

Give it some time and then go back to your old gear if you can. You may just find you miss the clear and natural sound of the N6 and the other sources may sound muffled and veiled, if I read what your saying correctly.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,187 of 1,977
I'd suggest trying different headphones instead and give the player some time. The headphone is the number one stop when looking for a prefered sound signature and the players job is just to present the music 'as it is' in the best way possible. The N6 does this quite well. There is also the EQ to play with.

Give it some time and then go back to your old gear if you can. You may just find you miss the clear and natural sound of the N6 and the other sources may sound muffled and veiled, if I read what your saying correctly.

I think what he suggested is valid; For people like i owned quite a range of headphone from He-400i, Beyer T90, AKG, Audio Technica, V-Moda and Senheiser Momemtum etc...

So if the player can cater for both bright and dark headphones then it will be the ultimate selling point for Cayin.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,188 of 1,977
I think what he suggested is valid; For people like i owned quite a range of headphone from He-400i, Beyer T90, AKG, Audio Technica, V-Moda and Senheiser Momemtum etc...

So if the player can cater for both bright and dark headphones then it will be the ultimate selling point for Cayin.

I'm not trying to invalidate what he was asking, and I paired a few bright headphones with the N6 and found them to be what they are. Bright. I only suggest that if he doesn't like bright headphones to sell them or play with the EQ, which is the same thing that a DSP would do (adjust the frequencies) and it's already available.

In my experience the N6 isn't really bright. Neutral and transparent, yes, but not bright. It's all about perspective where a listener is coming from. Compared to the X5 I hear it as warm and organic yet maintaining great clarity.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,189 of 1,977
I'm pretty sure what gives N6 it's special sound is the hardware. Relying on DSP to change that, well... I doubt Cayin's going to do something like that.

If N6 sound sig isn't your gig, sell it and buy something warmer/smoother. Or do like RELIC suggested and get some different HP/IEM.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,191 of 1,977
^ Actually dap's aren't tuned via software at all. The firmware does have an effect on the sound, but that is purely down to optimization of code, no firmware is "tuned" for a specific sound, the code is simply optimized with each firmware, which makes the sound truer to the hardware itself with each progressive firmware update.

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,192 of 1,977
I have owned Teclast T51, Hifiman 601LE/602/603, Fiio X5, Ibasso dx50/dx90, QLS  QA 360 and finally Cayin N6(auditioned almsot everything currently presented on the market in above 300 dollars DAPs) and I guarantee that it is not code optimization but  specific sound tuning for almost all of these devices. According to your DAP list you should know it by yourself.

You as a previous owner of Teclast T51 should know it, you could replace your 603 firmware with 601 version and it would sound different. You can install rockbox on your 603(which would still use the same bootloader) and it would start sounding different. 

You can switch between different Fiio X5 firmwares and found it sounding different. 

Your case could only be possibly applicable for QA 360 which has WAV and usual firmware which actually uses different code optimization.  

It does not matter if you wish to deny it but all manufacturers tune their DAPs to sound specfically and this is software optimization. 

Almost all Hifiman players for examply tuned exactly the same - Hifiman 801/802/901 but they do sound different because of different hardware but "house sound" still remains due to sound tuning.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,193 of 1,977
Yes I know that firmwares sound different, but they are not tuned to do so. For example ibasso has openly stated that they don't do any tuning via firmwares, only optimize them, and iBasso also say the effects on the sound of each firmmware is not done on purpose by ibasso, but is just a by-product of the optimizations which create more transparent firmwares with each update.

The Hifiman house sound is not a firmware tuned sound, it comes from the use specific chips such as warm opamps like OPA627 and NOS dacs.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,194 of 1,977
I'm pretty sure what gives N6 it's special sound is the hardware. Relying on DSP to change that, well... I doubt Cayin's going to do something like that.

If N6 sound sig isn't your gig, sell it and buy something warmer/smoother. Or do like RELIC suggested and get some different HP/IEM.

I agree. That's certainly one way but before doing that, most of us have found out that playing around with different tips has had good success.

I am still being surprised by the huge difference in sound as a result of just finding the right tips!

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,195 of 1,977
Not a single manufacturer will admit that they do some sound tuning as it is like killing theirselves in audiophile market.

Hifiman players specifically 600 series sound with ~15% difference with firmwares of 601 and 603 having the same hardware. It sound night and day differently using rockbox firmware(which insists that it does not use any equalization but directly interacts with hardware for ex. rockbox and 600 series firmware 0.05 sound almost identical but further firmwares have specific coloration for 601 and 603 accordingly).

NOS dac is not the issue here because MA9 which you also own sound nothing like Hifiman 801 even though they are based on the same PCM1704. MA9 sound more close to these OS dacs while 801 sounds like Hifiman house sound. Hifiman 802 sounds closer to Hifiman 801 than MA9 which uses the same DAC as 801.

This is going to derail the thread so we should probably stop this discussion. I will still keep my opinion while you probably keep yours :) 

I still would like to have a feature which could switch from HD to Analogue like :\

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,197 of 1,977
1. Is there no fast forward/reverse scan ? I didnt realize how much i use that function until it s gone

2. Since iso s with M.C wont play ( a shame the player wont just ignore the M.C. it cant render and play the stereo channel . Maybe a F.W. can change this ? ) i used scarletbook to extract DST Stereo Files , this is a lengthy process even on my moden laptop , but the files play nicely on N6
i would like to cut time tho as this takes way too long . Since im told N6 supports DSD i extracted dsd stereo files , and they rip out fast , and way smaller size . But odd enough these dsd s are not by N6 . Why is that ? What have i missed ?

Also is there a method to simply extract individual tracks from the iso instead of the entire sacd ?
That would be sweet as well

3 .i read about lyric support on N6 . How does this work exactly ? i find no details , just a mention of lyrics support
Cheers

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,198 of 1,977
^ Who said it's gone?  The same buttons that control skip next/prev control fw/rev scan when you press and hold them.  When screen is off, volume buttons control skip next/prev when hold them, no fw/rev scan with screen off.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,200 of 1,977
My long overdue review of the Cayin N6 has just been posted.  
smily_headphones1.gif

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back