Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Jun 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,156 of 1,977
Single PCM1792 DAC architecture of X5 vs dual PCM1792 DAC architecture of N6 is very noticeable [to me] when it comes to soundstage/separation control and dynamics of the sound.  That is one contributing factor (and a more powerful Amp section) that places N6 above X5 in my book.  Very curious if X5ii will be able to close the Amp section gap, but single vs dual DAC design is very noticeable.  I just wish Cayin would have taken further advantage of it with a balanced HO output (similar to AK120ii/240 with their dual CS4398 DAC architecture).

Btw, have you heard Lotoo PAW Gold?

Yes, I know you really like the dual DAC. I agree, soundstage and dynamics are bigger on the N6. Not sure it's from the dual DAC architecture though. Line out from the N6 and X5 to the HA-1 amp section are very, very close.

I think it's the more forward upper mids in the X5 and what I hear is close to what you've reported in your review of the N6. X5 is flatter, more forward, less dynamic. However, from what I've heard, it's easier to hear certain detail on the X5. Doesn't mean it's got better detail retrieval, just more forward.

Edit: I haven't heard the Lotoo PAW Gold yet. I'm dying to get a chance to but I've been so busy lately it hasn't been on the radar.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,157 of 1,977
Yes, I know you really like the dual DAC. I agree, soundstage and dynamics are bigger on the N6. Not sure it's from the dual DAC architecture though. Line out from the N6 and X5 to the HA-1 amp section are very, very close.

I think it's the more forward upper mids in the X5 and what I hear is close to what you've reported in your review of the N6. X5 is flatter, more forward, less dynamic. However, from what I've heard, it's easier to hear certain detail on the X5. Doesn't mean it's got better detail retrieval, just more forward.

Edit: I haven't heard the Lotoo PAW Gold yet. I'm dying to get a chance to but I've been so busy lately it hasn't been on the radar.

Sounds like Cayin's house flavor, then. Thinking of something like E12A vs C5 sound differences. No DAC there but boy do they ever sound different.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,159 of 1,977
ROFL!!!!!

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,160 of 1,977
Sounds like Cayin's house flavor, then. Thinking of something like E12A vs C5 sound differences. No DAC there but boy do they ever sound different.

Interesting..... twister6 noted that X5+C5 = N6. I'd say house sound. :wink:

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,162 of 1,977
Interesting..... twister6 noted that X5+C5 = N6. I'd say house sound. :wink:

Well if N6 sounds like the C5, I can see where all the praise is coming from. C5 was a great sounding amp but was too powerful for my IEM. I know others were ok using IEM with C5, but it got way too loud way too quickly for me. If low gain were less powerful, I'd still own the C5 and would be using it quite frequently!

The other thing that bugged me about the C5 was the bass boost, which was too broad spectrum for me. It just made the sound sig too warm for me. The C5's default sound signature was just great, though.

Have you heard the C5 x RELIC x?

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,163 of 1,977
Well if N6 sounds like the C5, I can see where all the praise is coming from. C5 was a great sounding amp but was too powerful for my IEM. I know others were ok using IEM with C5, but it got way too loud way too quickly for me. If low gain were less powerful, I'd still own the C5 and would be using it quite frequently!

The other thing that bugged me about the C5 was the bass boost, which was too broad spectrum for me. It just made the sound sig too warm for me. The C5's default sound signature was just great, though.

Have you heard the C5 @x RELIC x?

Not so, I think he just described sound style. C5 have greater power and driveability, and in some high-impedance headphones obvious big advantage, which is positioning itself C5 and features.

CAYIN the design of each product, there will always consider, what we want to render, how to reflect the value in the product itself.

We ask, N6 necessary to have a headphone output is quite outstanding sound performance and full details and restore the true nature of music, as far as possible with minimal coloration, and can match most of the IEM, and faithfully restore the headset itself style . We also give a certain power output N6 to meet part of the user to drive the headset. And we in the LINE OUT also spent a lot of time to adjust, but the most critical is, N6 + C5 can be a huge change, this change is not a promotion, but another style, if you asked me to describe the difference. N6 is neutral clear sound, while N6 + C5 you will get a warm and rich sound performance level.

This is the Hi-Fi's fun because we always keep trying, among a variety of music and equipment looking for their favorite. I think this is one of CAYIN now the idea is to express through our products to everyone.

Cheers, everyone continues to comment, CAYIN has been here, we need these comments and observations to look at yourself and for progress.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,165 of 1,977

Have you heard the C5 x RELIC x?

Again, missed that one.

I had my trigger finger ready to buy one before I demo'd the N6 but I quickly realized the e12 I own (and therefore the C5) is too powerful for my IEM. It's a close race for me between the X5 II and the N6 as far as what I may get next. Also been considering Questyle and AK120 II. I realize they aren't in the same price ranges, just trying to weigh in on each DAPs strengths. twister6's reviews have been quite helpful so far.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,166 of 1,977
Again, missed that one.

I had my trigger finger ready to buy one before I demo'd the N6 but I quickly realized the e12 I own (and therefore the C5) is too powerful for my IEM. It's a close race for me between the X5 II and the N6 as far as what I may get next. Also been considering Questyle and AK120 II. I realize they aren't in the same price ranges, just trying to weigh in on each DAPs strengths. @twister6's reviews have been quite helpful so far.

I agree. I was definitely leaning to getting the x5ii but twister's review of the N6 convinced me to order one of those instead.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,167 of 1,977
Again, missed that one.

I had my trigger finger ready to buy one before I demo'd the N6 but I quickly realized the e12 I own (and therefore the C5) is too powerful for my IEM. It's a close race for me between the X5 II and the N6 as far as what I may get next. Also been considering Questyle and AK120 II. I realize they aren't in the same price ranges, just trying to weigh in on each DAPs strengths. twister6's reviews have been quite helpful so far.

The X5 tour unit will help you make the choice, but if it were me I'd get the N6. I realize I'm saying that without having heard it yet, but I'd be more keen to own a completely different DAP rather than an iterative improvement like the X5ii. In fact, I'm betting X5iii will be a better purchase for original X5 owners than X5ii.

Thomas Cayin - Now that Cayin has a successful DAP on the market, I'm wondering if Cayin would consider producing a smaller, less powerful DAP with same sound signature that would target audio enthusiasts who use IEM and less demanding headphones? Might be an interesting market to enter. Just a thought...

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,168 of 1,977
The X5 tour unit will help you make the choice, but if it were me I'd get the N6. I realize I'm saying that without having heard it yet, but I'd be more keen to own a completely different DAP rather than an iterative improvement like the X5ii. In fact, I'm betting X5iii will be a better purchase for original X5 owners than X5ii.

Thomas Cayin - Now that Cayin has a successful DAP on the market, I'm wondering if Cayin would consider producing a smaller, less powerful DAP with same sound signature that would target audio enthusiasts who use IEM and less demanding headphones? Might be an interesting market to enter. Just a thought...

One of things holding me back on the N6 is the GUI. It's easy enough to get around but not as mature as the FiiO GUI. Hearing Cayin chime in I'm sure that it will improve. Small things like EQ adjustments being only one decibel instead of 0.5 decibel can add up.

Edit: To add, the N6 drove my IEM without any hiss so I'm not sure it's necessary for a smaller, less powerful version.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,169 of 1,977
One of things holding me back on the N6 is the GUI. It's easy enough to get around but not as mature as the FiiO GUI. Hearing Cayin chime in I'm sure that it will improve. Small things like EQ adjustments being only one decibel instead of 0.5 decibel can add up.

I totally get this. But I'm betting Cayin will continue to improve the UI with time like Fiio did.

Thomas Cayin - Is there a good way for headfi members to officially request feature improvements?

Edit: To add, the N6 drove my IEM without any hiss so I'm not sure it's necessary for a smaller, less powerful version.

I've only seen pics, but the N6 looks pretty big. A smaller, more pocketable DAP that is less powerful and less expensive but with the same great sound signature would place Cayin in a new market segment. An N5 maybe?

To be honest, I'd probably be more likely to buy that than the N6. If I'm using HP that require a lot of driving power, I'm probably at home and will just hook up to my desktop amp anyway via my DAP's LO.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,170 of 1,977

@Thomas Cayin - Now that Cayin has a successful DAP on the market, I'm wondering if Cayin would consider producing a smaller, less powerful DAP with same sound signature that would target audio enthusiasts who use IEM and less demanding headphones? Might be an interesting market to enter. Just a thought...

Why not.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back