Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
May 31, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,082 of 1,977
May 31, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,083 of 1,977
yes, cayin has an eq. but i never use it...i used both iems and full headphones with it...it has a clear sound with wide soundstage and excellent bass control.

i have loved it with full size headphones ...my Heaven v was not as engaging....i didnt try different tips yet....

and i have on the way:

denon mm400

heaven vi

heaven viii

this spending spree is killing me but i have not really bought anything new for almost two years til recently...and i will only keep the best sounding

May 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,084 of 1,977
  yes, cayin has an eq. but i never use it...i used both iems and full headphones with it...it has a clear sound with wide soundstage and excellent bass control.

i have loved it with full size headphones ...my Heaven v was not as engaging....i didnt try different tips yet....

and i have on the way:

denon mm400

heaven vi

heaven viii

this spending spree is killing me but i have not really bought anything new for almost two years til recently...and i will only keep the best sounding

how many eq bands does it have

May 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,085 of 1,977
http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-n6-pcm1792a-chip-dsd-lossless-music-player/reviews/12489

You know we have quite a few N6 reviews on head-fi :wink:

10 band eq, you can see it in my review above...

and i have on the way:

denon mm400

heaven vi

heaven viii

how many eq bands does it have

May 31, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,087 of 1,977
Guys, need your help or advice or whatever) I have an issue with sibilliants when paired with Fostex TH-900.
frown.gif
God, this just drives me crazy...It's a problem audible only with some songs but in any formats (MP3, FLAC, DSD). The treble sounds so sharp that sometimes I can't even stand it.
triportsad.gif
  I do not really know if it's a problem of my DAP as I'm now "on the go" and can't try it with any other source.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,089 of 1,977
I haven't tried the combination myself so I cannot be sure. The n6 is quite bright and from what I remember the th900 had sparkly highs? It was a long time ago, I cannot remember. Perhaps it is not a good combination.
frown.gif

Yeah, probably, As I was told, it either a bad pairing or they just need more time to break-in, cause I only have about 20 hours.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,091 of 1,977
Does anyone have compared the sound quality between Cayin N6 and Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary?

Which one has wider sound stage, more detail, better separation?

Cayin wins hand down. I didn't heard Studio 3rd, but I've had RoCoo-P, which is pretty much the same. All HiSound players were based on codec + simple amplifier + IMHO some software sound enhancers. And Cayin N6 utilises superb DAC and really great built amp section. So, it have more details, better layering, wider soundstage, more natural and neutral sound, and is better in any aspect.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,092 of 1,977
My main concern is does the N6 provide Native dsd support  is DSD128 supported ? 

My concern here comes from a quote " Not withstanding the alleged DSD x128 (5,6 MHz sampling rate) native support by the DAP, the DAC chip (PCM 1792A), which the N6 is built on seems to support the x64 DSD mode only ,   page 2: "DATA FORMAT (DSD Mode)-fS Sampling frequency 2.8224 MHz", and page 42: "2.8224 MHz × 4. (2.8224 MHz = 64 × 44.1 kHz. This value is specified as a sampling rate of DSD", which might be specified as an example only, still I haven't found any 5,6 MHz indications and references pertaining to DSD supported mode). Which leaves the question of genuine "native DSD support" implemented in the DAP open, or am I missing anything? "

My main reason for jumping excitedly at this dap was what i thought was native dsd 128  support , not downsampling to ie 24/192.

It s also reported that it can play sacd isos . Does this mean that i can drop my backed up 
iso copies of my sacd collection onto this device and it will play them in all sacd glory ?

i have yearned for such a device for a long time :)

Also 

Im spoiled by other daps storage being much larger , so the 8 gb internal storage is too 
small for my needs , but can become more acceptable if i can  hotswap out micro sd (while units powered on ) ? And what is the expected boot time with a near full 1280 gb micro sd ?
My main gripe with my dx100 is horrendous boot time , and it gets worse if i add new files to 

the device , or external card .
Boot time is also a big concern for me . Any infos fegarding this will also be
appreciated 

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,093 of 1,977
  My main concern is does the N6 provide Native dsd support  is DSD128 supported ? 

My concern here comes from a quote " Not withstanding the alleged DSD x128 (5,6 MHz sampling rate) native support by the DAP, the DAC chip (PCM 1792A), which the N6 is built on seems to support the x64 DSD mode only ,   page 2: "DATA FORMAT (DSD Mode)-fS Sampling frequency 2.8224 MHz", and page 42: "2.8224 MHz × 4. (2.8224 MHz = 64 × 44.1 kHz. This value is specified as a sampling rate of DSD", which might be specified as an example only, still I haven't found any 5,6 MHz indications and references pertaining to DSD supported mode). Which leaves the question of genuine "native DSD support" implemented in the DAP open, or am I missing anything? "

My main reason for jumping excitedly at this dap was what i thought was native dsd 128  support , not downsampling to ie 24/192.

It s also reported that it can play sacd isos . Does this mean that i can drop my backed up 
iso copies of my sacd collection onto this device and it will play them in all sacd glory ?

Also 

Im spoiled by other daps storage being much larger , so the 8 gb internal storage is too 
small for my needs , but can become more acceptable if i can  hotswap out micro sd (while units powered on ) ? And what is the expected boot time with a near full 1280 gb micro sd ?
My main gripe with my dx100 is horrendous boot time , and it gets worse if i add new files to 

appreciated 

This player will definitely work with your needs :). Quite a beast of a product. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,094 of 1,977
Boot time is speedy. Library update is speedy. Musicality is wonderful. Detail is retrieval is good.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,095 of 1,977

Also 

appreciated 

I have very little DSD so I will leave that to someone else, though I do know it does native DSD, but I have nothing over 64.

You can play ISO SACD, however not 5.1 etc.  Only stereo, as I believe it falls over on multichannel.  (well >2)

I wouldn't hotswap SD cards while the device is on, however shutdown and boot times are within 3 seconds, so by the time you hit shut down, get your SD card, you will be right to put it in and reboot which takes just a few seconds also.

Regarding the library however, you have a couple of options.  If you use folder play like me, you dont even need to scan the card.  So you can essentially instantly start playing files from the card.

However if you use library view with tags and artist sorting or the like, then you need to scan the library which took about a minute for me with around 90gb of music on a 128gb Sandisk card.

REgarding sound, it is just plain great, but it can be a little on the bright side in its presentation.  Do not mistake this for dry and thin, it is neither, it can just get a bit fatiguing with bright iems/cans.
HOWEVER with a warmer set of IEMs or cans it can be amazing.
And just to throw a spanner in the above, I hear it is also amazing with the Angie, which.... Is not warm :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back