Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
May 28, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,036 of 1,977
The n6 does a lot of things right.I just wish the mids especially vocals although clean and detailed  were a little more intimate(imo they are a bit distant but the expansive soundstage contributes up to a point to that) and musical.The dx90 although on a technical level is a step below on most aspects,3d soundstage,bass texture and control,transparency and treble(that could be a toss up depending on preference)  it has lusher mids.I'm on the 40h mark  so don't know how much more if any the tonality will change.

May 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,037 of 1,977
The n6 does a lot of things right.I just wish the mids especially vocals although clean and detailed  were a little more intimate(imo they are a bit distant but the expansive soundstage contributes up to a point to that) and musical.The dx90 although on a technical level is a step below on most aspects,3d soundstage,bass texture and control,transparency and treble(that could be a toss up depending on preference)  it has lusher mids.I'm on the 40h mark  so don't know how much more if any the tonality will change.

Hey there,

Which firmware version are you on.
While what you describe is still present, I found firmware v2.0 improves it significantly

May 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,038 of 1,977
Depends on which 'phones you use...When I used Heaven V, the sound was a little thin at times (no eq. used) but good separation so you could follow the vocals

easily....

When I used the Denon D5000, the sound just snapped together...more lush, more intimate....

So I think the Cayin needs to be balanced with the 'phones....I like the Cayin enough to have just ordered Heaven VI (which is supposed to be quite mid centric)

and anticipate a really nice balance...oh yeah, and i also ordered the new Heaven VIII.

At this price point, the Cayin is definitely worth building a system around....

May 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #1,039 of 1,977
Hey there,

Which firmware version are you on.
While what you describe is still present, I found firmware v2.0 improves it significantly

I use v1.1.If the v2.0 improves significantly will change back to that.Only heard v2.0 in the beginning unburned  but i liked the soundstage of v1.1.Waiting of the second micro sd to arrive,it's becoming a hassle to format to fat32 and have 60gb of music files  everytime you want to change fw.

May 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,040 of 1,977
Recently I have tried the p1 plenue and the n6. I found the p1 sounded bassier and full with the BA's (and to a lesser extent the dynamic).
I found the n6 sounded bright and thinner with the ba drivers (even a warm ba). But with dynamic drivers I have never heard more punchy aggressive controlled bass.

My ref1s sing with the n6. Just sadly I dont think it is as versatile for pairing as some other daps.

But it sounds good enough for MW to justify.:D

May 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,041 of 1,977
I use v1.1.If the v2.0 improves significantly will change back to that.Only heard v2.0 in the beginning unburned  but i liked the soundstage of v1.1.Waiting of the second micro sd to arrive,it's becoming a hassle to format to fat32 and have 60gb of music files  everytime you want to change fw.

Ahh yes the stage does close in somewhat in 2.0 but I fund it sounds more natural.. But your milage may vary.

Yeah I have a 4gb card just for firmware hehe

May 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,042 of 1,977
New N6 user here for about 2 weeks. Its really an amazing DAP for the price, very detailed, spacious, solid building, very powerful and doesn't need an amp at all.

In generaI, found it to be neutral with a tendency to extend treble a little which is not a good thing for me because I'm sensitive to highs and prefer a more warm sig overall. I was using firmware 2.0 and downgraded to 1.1 and founded a tad warmer and highs not so extended but still there.

I also agree it behaves very differently depending on the IEM. It doesn't pair well with brighter and natural IEM but shines with warmer and bassier ones. I really wished Cayin released a new firmware smoothing highs a little because its a really good player.

Tried with UM PRO 50 and 1plus2.

Let's see if more bur in tame highs a bit more.

May 28, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,043 of 1,977
i agree with everything except for the treble.It's already,detailed,smoothened and inoffensive enough but could use a little more sparkle.Hopefully the next fw will make it a little more musical tonally wise (seen it with dx90 fw) and engaging.Everything else is up there with the best.

May 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,044 of 1,977
With UM PRO 50 highs are in the right amount with full textured sound. Not so with 1plus2 due to its bright nature.although detailed exceeded my expectations. If next FW could just change the quality of highs even if keeping quantity would be great for everyone...Just my 2 cents...

May 28, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,045 of 1,977
  With UM PRO 50 highs are in the right amount with full textured sound. Not so with 1plus2 due to its bright nature.although detailed exceeded my expectations. If next FW could just change the quality of highs even if keeping quantity would be great for everyone...Just my 2 cents...

It's all a matter of personal preference
wink.gif
  I can't listen to Pro 50 out of N6 without EQ tweak because it's too dark for me.  3dB boost at 2kHz and 6dB boost at 8kHz does the trick for me!  The best synergy by far!!!

May 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,046 of 1,977
Indeed....I use mine with JVC FX1100 cable and it seems to open up a bit and no EQ...But still think highs need a small reduction overall to make N6 less picky and sound smoother from one iem to another

May 28, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,050 of 1,977
  Just noticed your in Greece....my wife and i are coming over for a month....krete, skopleos, skiathos,alonossis....4 islands of beauty, beaches and great food....

Some of our best islands along with Paros,Corfu,Rhodes and Mykonos.You will certainly have a great time so no wishes on my part.Some of the most beautiful women in Europe too(but that's another story since you're married
biggrin.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back