Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Sep 1, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,486 of 1,977
This is new to me, and is contrast to my own experience, so this is possible that an one-off situation.

Please try to copy the songs to the Internal Memory and repeat the process, if the problem disappear, that this is likely a TF card related or compatibility problem. If the problem remain unchanged, then we'll need to check with the person before and after you in the tour, if problem is consistent, then we probably need to recall the tour unit for a close examination.

Sorry Andy, I don't have the tour unit anymore. I did use the internal memory as well as the TF card. It was definitely a headphone jack issue and that particular tour unit was eventually replaced for the other members on the tour. I documented it in the PM'S with the tour members, and the member before and after me had the same issue. Funny thing is it would work fine for a while and then it would start acting up. This happened with multiple headphones and my IEMs.

I don't think it's a common issue to be sure or else you would definitely be hearing about it from many others. It was quite annoying. I'm sure EmpJ has already contacted Cayin about the issue. With all that said, overall it was a great unit to demo and review.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,487 of 1,977
Just in case the N6 group has missed the show, Cayin has launched a new DAP N5 and we are organizing a tour for this little brother, check this out and if you like N6, you probably should take a closer look at N5 as well, it does share similar house sound but comes in a more compact package that some users find it handy and tempting.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779183/tour-cayin-n5-dap-ak4490eq-dsd-2-5mm-balanced-headphone

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,488 of 1,977
This is new to me, I'll report this to Engineers, and try to replicate the case, will PM you for more detail if we can't replicate the problem, once we can replicated with our own machine, we are confident to solve it ASAP.

Thanks Andy - like I say it's not a loud 'pop' but I would just add that it's not the headphones I'm using as it's the same whichever I try...it almost sounds like an old record player reaching the end of a disc and the needle lifting off the track

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,489 of 1,977
Cant wait to hear 3.1 Thanks Andy

Has anything with battery charging improved on 3.1 ?

I havent actually time it , but i can run many errands , cut the lawn and the unit still isnt charged

This unit takes a huge chunk of time to charge

and can take maybe ? well over an hour to go from 99% to 100%

Also Andy thanks for battery care infos

PS sounds amazing

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #1,490 of 1,977
Cant wait to hear 3.1 Thanks Andy

Has anything with battery charging improved on 3.1 ?

I havent actually time it , but i can run many errands , cut the lawn and the unit still isnt charged

This unit takes a huge chunk of time to charge

and can take maybe ? well over an hour to go from 99% to 100%

Also Andy thanks for battery care infos

PS sounds amazing

Firmware v3.1 didn't change anything relate to battery charing.

I have charged my N6 from 0 to 99% in less than 4 hours, I consider that as reasonable with a 5600mAH battery. To achieve that, I switch off the N6 completely while I charge the device, this does make a lot of different.

On the other hand, you are correct that it take a very long time to go from 99% to 100%, this is actually a design feature to protect the battery from over charge. What happened is N6 will slow down the charging pace (i.e., limiting the charging current) once it reach a certain percentage, and when it goes to 99%, the charging current will be extremely low so it takes very low to finish the final 1% on the meter.

I have mentioned similar advice just a few pages back:

You should avoid completely discharging or full charge a Lithium battery. Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles and avoid over-charge. I'll avoid the use the N6 beyond the last 20%, and will stop the charging at around 90%, and after something like 10 charging cycle, I'll do a deep drain to the last 2% or even till the N6 die off, and then charge it up to 99% again. As RELIC has pointed out correctly, the deep discharge periodically is not really to bump up the capacity of the battery, the main purpose of that was to calibrate the battery charge level indicator. So I suggest you don't insist on getting the final 1% charge up in the N6, stick with 20%-90% as your regular charging cycle and you'll notice the charging time is a lot more efficient.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,491 of 1,977
........[snip]

You should avoid completely discharging or full charge a Lithium battery. Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles and avoid over-charge. I'll avoid the use the N6 beyond the last 20%, and will stop the charging at around 90%, and after something like 10 charging cycle, I'll do a deep drain to the last 2% or even till the N6 die off, and then charge it up to 99% again. As RELIC has pointed out correctly, the deep discharge periodically is not really to bump up the capacity of the battery, the main purpose of that was to calibrate the battery charge level indicator. So I suggest you don't insist on getting the final 1% charge up in the N6, stick with 20%-90% as your regular charging cycle and you'll notice the charging time is a lot more efficient.

This should be a sticky note on every device with a lithium battery. :wink_face:

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,497 of 1,977
Firmware v3.1 didn't change anything relate to battery charing.

I have charged my N6 from 0 to 99% in less than 4 hours, I consider that as reasonable with a 5600mAH battery. To achieve that, I switch off the N6 completely while I charge the device, this does make a lot of different.

On the other hand, you are correct that it take a very long time to go from 99% to 100%, this is actually a design feature to protect the battery from over charge. What happened is N6 will slow down the charging pace (i.e., limiting the charging current) once it reach a certain percentage, and when it goes to 99%, the charging current will be extremely low so it takes very low to finish the final 1% on the meter.

Thanks Andy

Good advice

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,498 of 1,977
Do you unpack sys.bin ?

FW3.1 is misstaken on main menu...
Jogdial Up and Down operation is reverse XD

Jogdial Up and Down operation is reverse? This is new to me, my N6 don't have this problem so far. Can someone cross check this item and report if you run into similar problem?

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,500 of 1,977
@Andykong - any further thoughts on the slight popping I hear when a track at the end of a folder finishes? I get a soft 'pop' sound at the end of the track and a second one as the N6 closes down at the end of a folder. Is no-one else getting this sound? It's not a major concern - at least I have no reason to think it might be - but I would like to know whether other people have the same issue, or whether this is 'normal'. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back