Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Aug 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,457 of 1,977
I am shocked at how much better the N6 sounds with pico slim and ie800.It definitely is an upgrade in sound vs N6 alone or with C5.Liquid,crystal mids,especially female vocals,added transparency,dynamics,speed,detail.I was a little worried that the above average but not great soundstage of slim might make the sound slightly congested like it did with dx90 but no,open,full sound,the sounds come from left,right,up everywhere with great air and speed.A testament to the better more 3d soundstage of N6 vs daps like dx90 and Fiio x5.The mids,treble,energy are no contest vs N6+C5,at least with ie800.

This is definitely a case of david and goliath working in perfect harmony.I can only imagine how N6  would sound with something like the pure ii.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,458 of 1,977
I'm wondering what folk think about the AK100ii in comparison to the N6.

Obviously there's a big price difference, but I could imagine much of that is accounted for in the AK100ii's air of affluence; touch screen, wi-fi and so on.

How do that sound against one another?

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,459 of 1,977
I am shocked at how much better the N6 sounds with pico slim and ie800.It definitely is an upgrade in sound vs N6 alone or with C5.Liquid,crystal mids,especially female vocals,added transparency,dynamics,speed,detail.I was a little worried that the above average but not great soundstage of slim might make the sound slightly congested like it did with dx90 but no,open,full sound,the sounds come from left,right,up everywhere with great air and speed.A testament to the better more 3d soundstage of N6 vs daps like dx90 and Fiio x5.The mids,treble,energy are no contest vs N6+C5,at least with ie800.

This is definitely a case of david and goliath working in perfect harmony.I can only imagine how N6  would sound with something like the pure ii.

Glad to know that you have found a good match.

IE800 is an amazing headphone that offers extraordinary scalability. By scalable I mean the little monster can keep on improving when you provide something better and more power to drive it with. I have friends using small desktop such as Mytek 192DSD to explore the IE800 and was completely shocked by this "in ear version of HD800" -- thats his word exactly, in Chinese. :D

C5 is a warm sounding portable amp, it is not an "upgrade" to N6 users if you are looking for better transparency and detail. In fact thats why I prefer N6 on its own to my taste, I only use C5 when I need more power on the road, or to improve the musicality of a cold sounding headphone. Now that you have find Pico Slim as a good match on these area, this is indeed a good news to all N6 users, especially when Pico Slim is compact and cost effective. Truly appreciate your contribution to expand the N6 synergy partners for the community.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 24, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,461 of 1,977
Jamming on N6 tonight. Still having the crazy reset issue, but whatevs...

Anyways, I plugged in my IEM and was jamming to Myrkur's debut album. It sounded kinda distorted and bassier than I remembered. Strange. Maybe the N6 just has too much powah for these sensitive IEM...

Um nope, dope head plugged them into the LO :eek:

This made me think about jack placement, and I'm wondering why the N6 doesn't have the HO off to the side like every other DAP I've owned. Kinda odd that HO is in the middle.

So, this made me think back to some questions in the N5 thread about shared HO/LO. Andykong was all like, no worries, guys. I'll admit it, I didn't believe it, as I've had my ears nearly blasted out plugging into LO on accident before (X5ii I'm looking right at you) :eek:

Not so with Cayin's DAP. It was moderately loud, but within my normal listening range. Sorry for doubting you Andykong :wink:

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,464 of 1,977
I can only imagine. My X5 Classic came with plugs, which I leave in at all times.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,466 of 1,977
Jamming on N6 tonight. Still having the crazy reset issue, but whatevs...

Anyways, I plugged in my IEM and was jamming to Myrkur's debut album. It sounded kinda distorted and bassier than I remembered. Strange. Maybe the N6 just has too much powah for these sensitive IEM...

Um nope, dope head plugged them into the LO :eek:

This made me think about jack placement, and I'm wondering why the N6 doesn't have the HO off to the side like every other DAP I've owned. Kinda odd that HO is in the middle.

So, this made me think back to some questions in the N5 thread about shared HO/LO. Andykong was all like, no worries, guys. I'll admit it, I didn't believe it, as I've had my ears nearly blasted out plugging into LO on accident before (X5ii I'm looking right at you) :eek:

Not so with Cayin's DAP. It was moderately loud, but within my normal listening range. Sorry for doubting you Andykong :wink:

Yeah, it was amazing. Other than the distorted signal and lack of volume control, I never wouldve guessed I'd accidentally plugged into the LO!

SAFEST LO EVAH!!!

Tell me more about the distorted signal please, is there anything I can help?

Obviously your IEM is a lot more sensitive than mine, when I have plug my IEM into the line out of N6, I keep turning up the volume because the sound was audible but at fairly low level, I turn up the volume but the sound level doesn't change, it was at that point that I realized that I have plugged into the wrong 3.5mm hole. :D :D

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,467 of 1,977
Tell me more about the distorted signal please, is there anything I can help?

Obviously your IEM is a lot more sensitive than mine, when I have plug my IEM into the line out of N6, I keep turning up the volume because the sound was audible but at fairly low level, I turn up the volume but the sound level doesn't change, it was at that point that I realized that I have plugged into the wrong 3.5mm hole. :D :D

It sounded like the music was clipping heavily when I plugged my IEM directly into LO but not with HO. I'm not one to go plugging my HP/IEM directly into LO, so I figured it was probably ok. I'll double check with an amp to make sure everything's ok with the LO.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,468 of 1,977
It sounded like the music was clipping heavily when I plugged my IEM directly into LO but not with HO. I'm not one to go plugging my HP/IEM directly into LO, so I figured it was probably ok. I'll double check with an amp to make sure everything's ok with the LO.

Please do that and confirmed that your N6 woks with portable amplifier alright. Beside singing at a very low level, my IEM actually pretty good at the LO, good details but lack of dynamic, and no clipping to my ears.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,469 of 1,977
Please do that and confirmed that your N6 woks with portable amplifier alright. Beside singing at a very low level, my IEM actually pretty good at the LO, good details but lack of dynamic, and no clipping to my ears.

Had another listen with the same IEM and a different track. You're right, it's not clipping - just massive amounts of bass. That threw me off before. I redacted my previous posts to reflect this.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,470 of 1,977
Andykong:

I had a weird issue last night with the N6.

1. Took out the mSD card while powered down.
2. Turned N6 on and tried to play some songs from internal storage
3. Songs looked like they were playing but there was no sound and the time indicator was skipping forward in 4-5 second intervals
4. Restarted but got the same result
5. Rescanned the library but got the same result
6. Gave up and went to sleep
7. Put mSD card back in today, powered on, and the song last playing from internal memory played just fine
8. Unplugged mSD card with N6 on and internal song kept playing just fine

Probably one of those weird, non-repeatable issues, but I thought I should report it.

Cheers,
Nikolaus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back