Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 376
Thanks. Bluetooth to my car stereo and my UE Boom speakers is also fine. The problem arises when on the move and the N5ii is put in a pocket/is blocked from the receiving device (in my case headphones).
I tried putting it in my pockets, going put of the room, putting it in a drawer a few metres away. It worked fine with the speaker and the handsfree.

I think it's a problem with the receivers being crappier and the N5ii having lower Bluetooth transmission power. I'll try out other Bluetooth gear if I come across any to see if it works fine.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 376
Alright guys I did some extensive testing on the N5ii's Bluetooth.

I used my phone to measure the strength of the Bluetooth signals and there was nothing wrong with the signal from the N5ii. It was the right strength. The sound was fine (friend's airpods) and stable.
IMG_20180330_085614.png

I am in class so I asked everyone to turn on their Bluetooth.
IMG_20180330_085628.png
IMG_20180330_085638.png

As you can see, there are significantly more Bluetooth signals now. Here the Bluetooth signal still held but there was an occasional drop.

However, when I turned on my phone's Bluetooth and placed it between me and the N5ii, the signal immediately stopped and didn't resume until I turned off Bluetooth on the N5ii and reconnected to the airpods.

To sum it all up, I think the N5ii has a strong signal but it is more prone to interference.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #18 of 376
Hi everyone.
As posted on the original N5ii thread, I have the freezing problem since the beginning of using this dap.
As advised, I did a double wipe. I also made sure I had no music files less than 500k, I resized all album artwork to a maximum of 700x700px, trashed any txt/log files.
My sd cards are Toshiba 256gb class10 with a combined total of 3500 FLAC files more or less.

These past 2 days I did some testing.
I put one album on the internal storage, reinstalled my sd cards and tried to repeat the freezing problem on purpose to try and find a cause.
I found that It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m playing 16bit/44.1 or 24bit/96 FLAC files, out of the internal storage or sd cards Nor does it matter if I’m playing on Audio Priority or not. It happens the same in all those situations: while playing a track I just have to go in the Album section to see what I want to hear next.
As soon as I scroll a bit and the thumbnails are being loaded it just stops and resumes playback after about 5 seconds.
I can repeat the problem almost on demand. I just had it happen three times in a row in about 5 minutes.

But it also happened by itself without me even touching the dap, while it was with the screen on sleep mode.

So, I really don’t know what to think about this.
Sometimes it seems like ahardware related situation to me. As if the dap doesn’t have the processing power/enough ram to cope with playing a track and loading the album artwork at the same time.
But then it happens while I leave it alone simply playing a track...

Anyway, it’s really frustrating to spend this kind of money and have this sort of constant instability happening.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #19 of 376
Hi everyone.
As posted on the original N5ii thread, I have the freezing problem since the beginning of using this dap.
As advised, I did a double wipe. I also made sure I had no music files less than 500k, I resized all album artwork to a maximum of 700x700px, trashed any txt/log files.
My sd cards are Toshiba 256gb class10 with a combined total of 3500 FLAC files more or less.

These past 2 days I did some testing.
I put one album on the internal storage, reinstalled my sd cards and tried to repeat the freezing problem on purpose to try and find a cause.
I found that It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m playing 16bit/44.1 or 24bit/96 FLAC files, out of the internal storage or sd cards Nor does it matter if I’m playing on Audio Priority or not. It happens the same in all those situations: while playing a track I just have to go in the Album section to see what I want to hear next.
As soon as I scroll a bit and the thumbnails are being loaded it just stops and resumes playback after about 5 seconds.
I can repeat the problem almost on demand. I just had it happen three times in a row in about 5 minutes.

But it also happened by itself without me even touching the dap, while it was with the screen on sleep mode.

So, I really don’t know what to think about this.
Sometimes it seems like ahardware related situation to me. As if the dap doesn’t have the processing power/enough ram to cope with playing a track and loading the album artwork at the same time.
But then it happens while I leave it alone simply playing a track...

Anyway, it’s really frustrating to spend this kind of money and have this sort of constant instability happening.
I tried it out on mine. Let's see how it went.

Playing Lindsell Stirling's album @24Bit/44.1khz with 1200x1200 album art.

9 album arts at 1000x1000 went smoothly, they all loaded in less than a second.
IMG_20180330_210952.jpg

Moving up to a mix of 2000x2000 and 1600x1600 album arts, everything still went smoothly. Maybe the song playing took too little cpu usage.
IMG_20180330_211753.jpg

Now playing hotel california @dsd 128

9 massive 4000x4000 album arts (Idk what the artist was thinking) and the only noticeable difference is that it takes slightly longer to load all the album arts.
IMG_20180330_211958.jpg

(sorry bout the 3rd pic, it automatically refocused, the bars aren't supposed to be there)
I can't say that every device will perform like this but at least it proves that the N5ii has the capability to handle demanding playback and load large album arts at the same time.

I also updated the 1st post to include a general android optimisation.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #20 of 376
Hi seanwee.
Did you scrolled just a little?
Can you try scrolling a bit more through the albums, as if you were looking for something down the list?
That’s how it does it to me.

Also, the general Android optimization didn’t help.
But thanks for the info.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #21 of 376
Hi seanwee.
Did you scrolled just a little?
Can you try scrolling a bit more through the albums, as if you were looking for something down the list?
That’s how it does it to me.

Also, the general Android optimization didn’t help.
But thanks for the info.
I scrolled down quickly while looking for sections which had lots of album arts. Does that count?

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #23 of 376
I guess... Just trying to find if someone else can replicate the freezing in the same way.
RMA your N5ii. Perhaps Cayin can learn something from your unit.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #24 of 376
Alright guys I did some extensive testing on the N5ii's Bluetooth.

I used my phone to measure the strength of the Bluetooth signals and there was nothing wrong with the signal from the N5ii. It was the right strength. The sound was fine (friend's airpods) and stable.

I am in class so I asked everyone to turn on their Bluetooth.

As you can see, there are significantly more Bluetooth signals now. Here the Bluetooth signal still held but there was an occasional drop.

However, when I turned on my phone's Bluetooth and placed it between me and the N5ii, the signal immediately stopped and didn't resume until I turned off Bluetooth on the N5ii and reconnected to the airpods.

To sum it all up, I think the N5ii has a strong signal but it is more prone to interference.
Thanks for your help on this. So this is s hardware issue regarding the Bluetooth chip in the device target than anything that can be fixed via a firmware upgrade? It is disappointing i have to say if it can't be improved.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 376
Thanks for your help on this. So this is s hardware issue regarding the Bluetooth chip in the device target than anything that can be fixed via a firmware upgrade? It is disappointing i have to say if it can't be improved.
Actually, I suspect that the N5ii's Bluetooth doesn't implement error correction or frequency hopping. This is all part of the Bluetooth 4.0 standard so I'd say it can be improved via firmware.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #27 of 376
1. Unusual seeking speed (by hardware buttons).
2. Issue with Gapless option (try to split file by CUE).
3. Issue with filenames sorting (sometimes).
4. S/PDIF out works only without headphones connected.
1. Not a bug, just different implementation
2. Just turn off gapless. Oddly it stays gapless even when it's off
3. Is this just referring to the abnormal sorting protocol?
4. Perfectly normal

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #28 of 376
1. If you think so than you never use it.
2. With or without gapless option enabled I have pauses between tracks. Let take any track and create cue to split this track in the middle, then try to play this cue with or without gapless mode.
3. Yes. I have "Vangelis - Oceans" above "Vangelis - Blade Runner". This is rare issue but it happens from time to time especially with non-ASCII symbols like Cyrillic.
4. Let it works always and all customers will happy.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #29 of 376
1. If you think so than you never use it.
2. With or without gapless option enabled I have pauses between tracks. Let take any track and create cue to split this track in the middle, then try to play this cue with or without gapless mode.
3. Yes. I have "Vangelis - Oceans" above "Vangelis - Blade Runner". This is rare issue but it happens from time to time especially with non-ASCII symbols like Cyrillic.
I HAVE tried it, it will always finish skipping a track in a set amount of time. I am aware that both short and long tracks get skipped in a few seconds which could mean a 15 second skip or a 2 hour skip per second you hold down the button.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #30 of 376
If only both balanced and single ended outputs worked simultaneously. Then I could share music with my friend without having to use a splitter :wink:

So far the only DAP I've seen that has all outputs always on is the Xduoo X3 after rockbox. Both the headphone and line out can be used simultaneously. The line out is variable after rockboxing so its the same volume as the headphone out. Very convenient :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back