Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3,031 of 4,108
Thanks a lot guys. So, when I received the DAP on the package was the sticker N5MK2, when I connected to my Mac it recognized itself as N5MK2SS. I have pleather cover, so I guess my device is N5iiS right? How to check how much memory I got?
Can you take a pic of the N5ii without its case?

Thats the easiest way to make sure.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #3,032 of 4,108
Can you take a pic of the N5ii without its case?

Thats the easiest way to make sure.

Here you go:

IMG-4392.JPG

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,034 of 4,108
Yeah that's the N5iiS for sure

Thanks a lot. I am quite happy with the device. Only one issue I have noticed is that using it in DAC mode and connecting to my Mac Audirvana Plus over the Cayin USB C cable, time to time I have some distortions like listening to vinyl (pops, cracks etc), especially when just starting feeding A+ music buffer or when I pause the music for some time and resume it back again. It's weird and annoying when happen. Don't have yet an idea what it could be.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #3,035 of 4,108
So non alpha numerical characters is not the issue so next is to test seanwee's hunch:

Step 1: changed the album titles of the first 3 volumes from "Blank & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties) 01" to "Blank01 & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties)"
Step 2: rescanned the memory card

Result the first 3 albums sort properly, so seanwee, your hunch seems to be correct. Andy over to you...

I have created a set of dummy folders and repeated your error successfully. This is now confirmed as a bug. We'll add this to our Bug list and submit to Software team in our regularly reports. It is probably related to a problem in the sorting algorithm, I'll follow up and come back when we identified the root cause of the problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #3,036 of 4,108
I have created a set of dummy folders and repeated your error successfully. This is now confirmed as a bug. We'll add this to our Bug list and submit to Software team in our regularly reports. It is probably related to a problem in the sorting algorithm, I'll follow up and come back when we identified the root cause of the problem.
Thanks Andy

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,037 of 4,108
Thanks a lot. I am quite happy with the device. Only one issue I have noticed is that using it in DAC mode and connecting to my Mac Audirvana Plus over the Cayin USB C cable, time to time I have some distortions like listening to vinyl (pops, cracks etc), especially when just starting feeding A+ music buffer or when I pause the music for some time and resume it back again. It's weird and annoying when happen. Don't have yet an idea what it could be.
Some have reported a reduction in said noise by using a shorter high quality cable so you might want to try that out.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #3,038 of 4,108
Some have reported a reduction in said noise by using a shorter high quality cable so you might want to try that out.

Ah, so is it a well known issue?! Any comment from Cayin? @Andykong
Anyway, I've ordered double shielded Lindy 0.15m Anthra line USB C-A to check it out.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #3,039 of 4,108
Another thing I would like to ask you guys from newbie DAP owner, what those settings mean actually:
1. LdB/Mdb/HdB - I could easily guess that’s for gain settings. So is there any benefit of using LdB besides the fact that you will need crank the volume up more? What should I use for F9 IEMs?
2. PO/LO - these ones I don’t catching up?
3. Sharp/Slow roll-off filters - what do you recommend for hi res audio/DSD?

Many thanks for clarification.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,040 of 4,108
Another thing I would like to ask you guys from newbie DAP owner, what those settings mean actually:
1. LdB/Mdb/HdB - I could easily guess that’s for gain settings. So is there any benefit of using LdB besides the fact that you will need crank the volume up more? What should I use for F9 IEMs?
2. PO/LO - these ones I don’t catching up?
3. Sharp/Slow roll-off filters - what do you recommend for hi res audio/DSD?

Many thanks for clarification.
my 2 cents:

1. Yes stands for low, medium and high gain. This is useful if you own different headphones with different impedance/ sensitivity. In general my experience is the higher the gain the higher the noise floor, so I always use the lowest possible gain. However some headphones may not be 'loud' enough on low gain and then you can increase the gain accordingly. Then again some people like the sound of high gain...I suggest you try it out and see what setting you like. I don't own the F9 iems so can't help you with that. Based on this review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-f9-hybrid-3-way-in-ear-monitors.22609/reviews the reviewer commented at the end that "the volume requirements of F9 are within what most smartphones and tablets can output", so maybe start with LdB.
2. PO is phone out, LO is line out.
3. There were a few posts on this in this tread, personally I can't hear the difference between these filters, some folks who can hear the difference, maybe able to pitch in.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,041 of 4,108
my 2 cents:

1. Yes stands for low, medium and high gain. This is useful if you own different headphones with different impedance/ sensitivity. In general my experience is the higher the gain the higher the noise floor, so I always use the lowest possible gain. However some headphones may not be 'loud' enough on low gain and then you can increase the gain accordingly. Then again some people like the sound of high gain...I suggest you try it out and see what setting you like. I don't own the F9 iems so can't help you with that. Based on this review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-f9-hybrid-3-way-in-ear-monitors.22609/reviews the reviewer commented at the end that "the volume requirements of F9 are within what most smartphones and tablets can output", so maybe start with LdB.
3. There were a few posts on this in this tread, personally I can't hear the difference between these filters, some folks can hear the difference maybe able to pitch in.

Many thanks.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,042 of 4,108
my 2 cents:

3. There were a few posts on this in this tread, personally I can't hear the difference between these filters, some folks can hear the difference maybe able to pitch in.
I dont think the filters are worth changing, the difference is too small to be worth it.

For low medium and high gain, I tend to use high gain as it sounds brighter compared to the other two. Low is the darkest, medium is brighter and high is the brightest though none of these make the N5ii sound bright in terms of absolutes.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,043 of 4,108
Hi sir Andy can you also consider sorting the albums by date? So it will show up in chronological order (artist/album/date).
Thanks

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,044 of 4,108
Thanks a lot guys. So, when I received the DAP on the package was the sticker N5MK2, when I connected to my Mac it recognized itself as N5MK2SS. I have pleather cover, so I guess my device is N5iiS right? How to check how much memory I got?
Hi, you can see the detailed difference between N5ii and N5iiS package in below picture:
upload_2018-10-11_9-10-47.png

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #3,045 of 4,108
Hi sir Andy can you also consider sorting the albums by date? So it will show up in chronological order (artist/album/date).
Thanks

You mean change the Album tag sorting from alphabetical to chronological? This is unlikely, because in our experience, only a small percentage of users will have their complete music library tag correctly on year of publication. We can't offer multiple shorting option on the album tag because that will involve switching between a a simple single index based to a two tier shorting (year + title), the different probably is probably not so significant when we are dealing with a text based list, but when we are dealing with thumb-nail graphical based, that will require a lot of resources (a lot of read write action from TF cards and internal storage to RAM), to the extend that it will introduce audio drop when someone initiate the switch during playback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back