Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 15, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,401 of 4,108
@blue212 Well, after one night (and only ~200 out of 3000 songs on my Spotify playlists), everything seems to work smoothly. I think the Wifi power of both my n5II AND my Internet connection are pretty slow so I'll have to download for hours and hours haha.

But it is delightful to hear my Dunu-DN2000 with this, so fun to listen to I want to headbang all the time haha

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,402 of 4,108
I'm experiencing a problem with the battery of my N5II. The player start do turn himself off every-time the battery level is bellow 50%. This means that with the battery fully charged, i can listen more or less 4 hours of music (flac at 16bit, 44.1kHz). My listening volume is around 35 to 45 depending if i'm on my office, or commuting. The player is always on Music Priority and Medium Gain, and I don't have any micro SD card installed.
Can my unit be faulty?

Best regards

May 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,403 of 4,108
I'm experiencing a problem with the battery of my N5II. The player start do turn himself off every-time the battery level is bellow 50%. This means that with the battery fully charged, i can listen more or less 4 hours of music (flac at 16bit, 44.1kHz). My listening volume is around 35 to 45 depending if i'm on my office, or commuting. The player is always on Music Priority and Medium Gain, and I don't have any micro SD card installed.
Can my unit be faulty?

Best regards
I decided to send it back to the store since apparently nobody here is experiencing the same problem, and I don't want to stay with a faulty unit... Shame, the sound is really good...

May 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,405 of 4,108
Can my unit be faulty?

Best regards

I decided to send it back to the store since apparently nobody here is experiencing the same problem, and I don't want to stay with a faulty unit... Shame, the sound is really good...

The support team was occupied in Munich High End 2018, we just arrive home today, Sorry for the delays. I suspect your N5ii has displayed inaccurate battery reading.

While Lithium battery installed in N5ii does not have memory effect, it does has what we called inaccurate gauge issue, and this is a common problem to Lithium battery based appliance, especially to a newly purchased unit because the battery might has been idled and/or drained for a long time. If you run into inaccurate battery reading, or in the worst case, sudden power off when the battery reading indicated otherwise, I suggest you do a gauge calibration to verify the problem. In fact this is something that we all should be doing occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the device to shutdown unexpectedly, or it might stop charging because the battery has been fully charged already but the battery reading stated otherwise. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery if you want to find out more information along this issue.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

1. Turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
  2. Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
  3. To test the battery is in good condition, set the screen to minimum brightness and 30 sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.
Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 16, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,406 of 4,108
I experienced another episode with the volume gone really loud, last set at 90. I quickly turned it down to 30 which now became a comfortable loud enough listening level. I tried rebooting the player and it still was plentiful at 30. As mentioned previously the last time I listened to the N5ii it was at 90 which was fine. I have latest v3.3 firmware on the dap. Something is still wrong with this volume thing.

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly.

(1) Originally you set your volume to 90, and the sound level was "appropriate" at that time? What gain are you using? 2.5mm or 3.5mm? What was the headphone that you were using when you turn the volume up to 90?

(2) After you turn off the DAP, and then turn on again, it become very loud, and you need to quickly turned the volume down from 90 to 30 in order to maintain a comfortable loud enough listening level? Are you sure the sound system has remained unchanged in between? Same headphone? Same cable? Same connection? Same Gain setting? Same music file?

(3) You reboot the N5ii again, and confirmed volume at 30 is the appropriate setting, there is no need to turn up the volume to 90?

Assuming nothing dramatic or careless, my first assumption was a bad contact in your previous listening session, result in insufficient current to drive your headphone correctly, so you need to turn all the way up to 90 in order to receive enough power to drive your headphone to desired sound level. The bad contact was rectified in your subsequent listening session, hence you only need to keep the volume at 30 for similar sound level.

This is only an assumption, I am going down this track because to the best of my knowledge, the volume bug has been rectified and we haven't encounter any volume problem after v3.1EN firmware update. If there is a problem, of if the bug is not fully rectified, I'll definitely keep the group informed. Maybe you have triggered the unique condition that re-surfaced the volume bug, but I definitely would like to receive more detail regarding this instance before I file the volume bug into our bug list again.

May 16, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,407 of 4,108
Just received my n5ii, immediately installed the firmware easily. I was quite impressed with the size / weight of this, it's great !
So far so good, I've listened to multiple well-known songs and I can notice details improvement over my old ipod touch. Tested with my Meze Neo, the sound is quite revealing and funny.

Spotify is reasonably smooth, but there are some lags, probably due to my Wifi. I will try to download offline songs tonight to see out it goes. The Home button is a bit bizarre to use as an Android user since it will come back to the player interface, sort of. Could be annoying with a regular use of a 3rd party app.

I can't wait to test it with my future Fibae 2 !

@blue212 Well, after one night (and only ~200 out of 3000 songs on my Spotify playlists), everything seems to work smoothly. I think the Wifi power of both my n5II AND my Internet connection are pretty slow so I'll have to download for hours and hours haha.

But it is delightful to hear my Dunu-DN2000 with this, so fun to listen to I want to headbang all the time haha

Spotify on N5ii should be fairly stable and smooth. Are you using a private WiFI connection or a shared WiFi resources of housing estate? is it possible to test the Spotify again when the N5ii has a direct line of sight to the router and there isn't any 2.4GHz appliance between N5ii and the router? I know this sound a bit complicated and not necessarily practical in long run, but I suggest you do this once at least so that we can rule out other possibilities.

By the way, FIBAE 2 is a good match with N5ii, I have listened to both FIBAE2 and FIBAE3 at CanJam Singapore, Piotr was very pleased with the N5ii + FIBAE synergy too. :beerchug:

May 16, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #2,408 of 4,108
Not sure if I understand your problem correctly.

(1) Originally you set your volume to 90, and the sound level was "appropriate" at that time? What gain are you using? 2.5mm or 3.5mm? What was the headphone that you were using when you turn the volume up to 90?

(2) After you turn off the DAP, and then turn on again, it become very loud, and you need to quickly turned the volume down from 90 to 30 in order to maintain a comfortable loud enough listening level? Are you sure the sound system has remained unchanged in between? Same headphone? Same cable? Same connection? Same Gain setting? Same music file?

(3) You reboot the N5ii again, and confirmed volume at 30 is the appropriate setting, there is no need to turn up the volume to 90?

Assuming nothing dramatic or careless, my first assumption was a bad contact in your previous listening session, result in insufficient current to drive your headphone correctly, so you need to turn all the way up to 90 in order to receive enough power to drive your headphone to desired sound level. The bad contact was rectified in your subsequent listening session, hence you only need to keep the volume at 30 for similar sound level.

This is only an assumption, I am going down this track because to the best of my knowledge, the volume bug has been rectified and we haven't encounter any volume problem after v3.1EN firmware update. If there is a problem, of if the bug is not fully rectified, I'll definitely keep the group informed. Maybe you have triggered the unique condition that re-surfaced the volume bug, but I definitely would like to receive more detail regarding this instance before I file the volume bug into our bug list again.

Hey, thanks for replying!

To answer...

(1) Low or No Gain being used, 2.5mm cable with FLC8S IEMs. I ensured Gain was not engaged or set to High both times this happened.

(2) Yup, same everything. Is there a setting somewhere perhaps for default volume level when the DAP is turned on? I'm still getting familiar with the GUI on the N5ii.

(3) Yes, which is equally strange. Previously 30 was too low when I first listened to the Cayin. All my other DAPs, 30 is generally too low as well. I do find this odd actually.

I will continue to monitor whenever I use the N5ii. Maybe it's me and just not pressing, or accidently pressing, something when turning DAP on.

May 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,409 of 4,108
Hey, thanks for replying!

To answer...

(1) Low or No Gain being used, 2.5mm cable with FLC8S IEMs. I ensured Gain was not engaged or set to High both times this happened.

(2) Yup, same everything. Is there a setting somewhere perhaps for default volume level when the DAP is turned on? I'm still getting familiar with the GUI on the N5ii.

(3) Yes, which is equally strange. Previously 30 was too low when I first listened to the Cayin. All my other DAPs, 30 is generally too low as well. I do find this odd actually.

I will continue to monitor whenever I use the N5ii. Maybe it's me and just not pressing, or accidently pressing, something when turning DAP on.

The N5ii offers L, M and H gain, but you must select one gain setting out of three, you can't select no gain nor "Gain was not engaged", there is no such option in N5ii. From L to H gain, there is at least 12 dB different, the different can be quite substantial.

Yes, you can set the default volume level when the DAP is turned on. I don't have the N5ii with me right now, @CayinSupport will provide the necessarily screen capture to adjust the setting in System Setting Menu.

If you are using FLC8S with 2.5mm balanced cable, High Gain, then 30-40 is about the right volume setting to me. @PinkyPowers has reviewed the FLC8s and he has the N5ii, so I guess we can seek his verification regarding the volume setting at different gain position.

May 16, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,410 of 4,108
Yes, you can set the default volume level when the DAP is turned on. I don't have the N5ii with me right now, @CayinSupport will provide the necessarily screen capture to adjust the setting in System Setting Menu.

That's probably what it is then. I will investigate when I get home.

May 16, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,411 of 4,108
The N5ii offers L, M and H gain, but you must select one gain setting out of three, you can't select no gain nor "Gain was not engaged", there is no such option in N5ii. From L to H gain, there is at least 12 dB different, the different can be quite substantial.

If you are using FLC8S with 2.5mm balanced cable, High Gain, then 30-40 is about the right volume setting to me. @PinkyPowers has reviewed the FLC8s and he has the N5ii, so I guess we can seek his verification regarding the volume setting at different gain position.

Yeah, the FLC8S is very efficient. You should not need 90, even on Low Gain.

May 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,412 of 4,108
just got a review unit, and compared to ar-m2, this thing cant move the lcd 2c as well as the m2

May 16, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,413 of 4,108
just got a review unit, and compared to ar-m2, this thing cant move the lcd 2c as well as the m2

AR-M2 is still my fave in my collection but it is also $$$ and somewhat difficult to acquire in certain areas. At it's price point the N5ii is quite a nice surprise and a good buy for audio quality. I just buy other IEMs if a particular DAP doesn't play nice with a set of 'phones and I want to keep said DAP.

May 16, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,414 of 4,108
I know it’s a crazy question but I’m a big Apple Fan Boy... as such I have iPhone, MacBook, also an iPad but my kids use this more than me. I have been using Apple Music mostly because its nicely baked into iOS and MacOS.

So my question, has anyone tried using Apple Music on the N5ii? If so, how is it? Are you able to download/store offline ?

Thanks

May 17, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #2,415 of 4,108

Did you compared M2 and N5ii in 3.5mm only? To the best of my knowledge, ME didn't have balanced phone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back