Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 7, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2,371 of 4,108
We have established a new OTA server for oversee users, this should be an obvious improvement over the previous China server as there is a limited data rate to connections outside China. If you are upgrding from v3.1en, you should connect to the new OTA server automatically, If your N5ii is still using v2.1en, I'll suggest you perform a manual upgrade this round otherwise you'll link to the OTA server in China and that will be significantly slower.

I went from 3.1 to 3.3 via OTA in the US and it worked great. No issues! Thanks!

May 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,374 of 4,108
I have downloaded and plan to test over the coming days. Are there any recommendations to wipe/reset after firmware upgrade?

Please note the following reminder at the end of the firmware upgrade instruction:
  1. Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  2. Please delete/remove the firmware file from the internal storage/TF card after firmware upgrade
  3. Please perform a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
  4. If you are using TF card to upgrade N5ii firmware, please make sure you only insert the TF card with firmware package into the DAP. Inserting two TF cards into the DAP during firmware upgrade might cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly.
  5. If you feel the DAP is not performing satisfactory after firmware upgrade, please wipe cache partition (in recovery mode) and restart the system.
  6. If the system freeze or cannot resume to regular operation after firmware upgrade, you can turn off the device by holding the Power on/off key for 12 seconds. The system will shut down in regardless of operation status. If problem persist, you can perform a Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode) to resume the system.
  7. Please insert TF card into N5ii before RECOVERY mode. If you insert TF card into N5ii after starting N5ii and RECOVERY mode it may cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly

We believe "wipe cache partition" will safeguard your N5ii performs satisfactory after firmware upgarde.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,375 of 4,108
It started working after a few more restarts. It gave me a mini heart attack wew.
But note to self : do not drain the battery or just leave it in your drawer for a while.

Actually this apply to everything that involve Lithium battery, including your mobile phone.

May 7, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,376 of 4,108
Please note the following reminder at the end of the firmware upgrade instruction:
  1. Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  2. Please delete/remove the firmware file from the internal storage/TF card after firmware upgrade
  3. Please perform a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
  4. If you are using TF card to upgrade N5ii firmware, please make sure you only insert the TF card with firmware package into the DAP. Inserting two TF cards into the DAP during firmware upgrade might cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly.
  5. If you feel the DAP is not performing satisfactory after firmware upgrade, please wipe cache partition (in recovery mode) and restart the system.
  6. If the system freeze or cannot resume to regular operation after firmware upgrade, you can turn off the device by holding the Power on/off key for 12 seconds. The system will shut down in regardless of operation status. If problem persist, you can perform a Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode) to resume the system.
  7. Please insert TF card into N5ii before RECOVERY mode. If you insert TF card into N5ii after starting N5ii and RECOVERY mode it may cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly

We believe "wipe cache partition" will safeguard your N5ii performs satisfactory after firmware upgarde.
I have multiple firmware files on the internal storage and theres no problem.

I did notice that if you perform factory reset without removing the sd cards, the files you have transferred to the N5ii using USB cable will be deleted too. Files copied directly onto the sd card will not be affected.

May 7, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,377 of 4,108
Hi, you can install a browser in N5ii first to login the public free WiFi.

Well, this might suggest you can't resolve the issue on-spot immediately.

One possible option is to download the apk of a browser, copy to your TF card or internal memory of N5ii, and istall the apk with the ES Explorer pre-installed in N5ii.

May 7, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,378 of 4,108
The password to the wifi has @ and ! signs in it. It occurred to perhaps there is there a bug in the N5ii or in Android itself which results in such wifi passwords not working?

Hi, we did the test and found N5ii could work a wifi password with special character like @ .

May 8, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,380 of 4,108
So I ran into a problem the second time today: When I was turning on the N5ii from sleep, I didn't hear any usic playing. Had this one time before and with unplugging headphones, hit pause, hit play plugging headphones in etc., I got it working. The display tells me that the track is played. This time, the only solution was to restart the player.
Has somebody here witnessed same or comparable problems?

May 8, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,381 of 4,108
Silvia (Cayin support) and I are waiting at transit lounge at Dohar, we should arrive at Munich rise and shine on Wednesday 7am, we shall head straight to the MOC after breakfast to set up our booth, so we probably will disappear from front line until 16th next Wednesday.

Some of you might have updated your N5ii already, please be reminded that we haven't solved the random pause bug completely, we are still working on that. If you have run into random bug previously, please tell us your situation after v3.3en upgrade, many thanks in advance.

May 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #2,382 of 4,108
Unfortunately I have experienced two big dropouts with the new firmware. Also one instance of skipping ahead.

Looks may I may need to volunteer for the beta testing program.

I suppose it is possible I have defective hardware but these issues are not unique to me methinks

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2,383 of 4,108
I can confirm that the issues you experienced are not unique after the latest firmware upgrade.

Actions I have taken so far:
  1. Firmware upgrade performed via internal storage.
  2. Deleted firmware file from the internal storage after upgrade.
  3. Performed a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
  4. Wiped cache partition in recovery mode and restarted the system.
Actions not taken - maybe this will help?
  1. Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or
  2. Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode)
Problems experienced:
  • random pauses of short duration
  • longer pauses and system reverts back to home screen - i.e. album stops playing altogether and I need to re-select appropriate track.
Not sure if this may contribute to the issue but I have 2 x 400GB cards installed with mainly 44.1/16 FLAC - plenty of space still as I am gradually renaming tracks to sort correctly (leading zero) before loading.
Internal memory - 1.4GB free
Card 1 - 330GB free
Card 2 - 296GB free

As I don't stream my use-case for this device was to have enough storage to hold all my music.
Love the sound of this device (paired with Brainwavz B400 balanced) so looking forward to all bugs being ironed out!

May 11, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,384 of 4,108
Unfortunately I have experienced two big dropouts with the new firmware. Also one instance of skipping ahead.

Looks may I may need to volunteer for the beta testing program.

I suppose it is possible I have defective hardware but these issues are not unique to me methimks

I have experienced the skipping ahead bug too (yet to see it on the newest version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back