Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 14, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #2,386 of 4,108
been really wanted to try the n5ii maybe once the firmware issues are sorted...
It varies from person to person. Mine is perfectly stable. Can't say the same about others though :/

May 14, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #2,387 of 4,108
It varies from person to person. Mine is perfectly stable. Can't say the same about others though :/

Fair, Compared to the opus1 metal how does it present the sound?

May 14, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #2,388 of 4,108
I volume matched the N5ii and the Metal Opus with a 1khz test tone by ear to the best of my abilities prior to a/b-ing the two.

The first thing that stood out was the different bass presentation of the 2. The N5ii offered a deeper, tighter and more impactful bass. Where the Opus had more midbass the N5ii had more sub-bass rumble. Better extension on the N5ii perhaps?
The N5ii was clearer and more articulate sounding whereas the Opus had a softer impact. The N5ii was also better textured which lent a more natural timbre to the sound.
The N5ii has a bit better layering and instrument separation with more air around each instrument due to the clearer and more articulate sound. In terms of soundstage I'd say they both have similar depth but the N5ii is slightly wider and more holographic.
Micro detail wise they are very close with the N5ii slightly edging out the Opus. Again, very close and unnoticeable without a/b-ing.
Overall I'd say that the N5ii has a close to reference-neutral sound while the Opus 1 Metal has a slight warm tilt.

May 14, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,389 of 4,108
Just received my n5ii, immediately installed the firmware easily. I was quite impressed with the size / weight of this, it's great !
So far so good, I've listened to multiple well-known songs and I can notice details improvement over my old ipod touch. Tested with my Meze Neo, the sound is quite revealing and funny.

Spotify is reasonably smooth, but there are some lags, probably due to my Wifi. I will try to download offline songs tonight to see out it goes. The Home button is a bit bizarre to use as an Android user since it will come back to the player interface, sort of. Could be annoying with a regular use of a 3rd party app.

I can't wait to test it with my future Fibae 2 !

May 14, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,390 of 4,108
I experienced another episode with the volume gone really loud, last set at 90. I quickly turned it down to 30 which now became a comfortable loud enough listening level. I tried rebooting the player and it still was plentiful at 30. As mentioned previously the last time I listened to the N5ii it was at 90 which was fine. I have latest v3.3 firmware on the dap. Something is still wrong with this volume thing.

May 14, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,391 of 4,108
I experienced another episode with the volume gone really loud, last set at 90. I quickly turned it down to 30 which now became a comfortable loud enough listening level. I tried rebooting the player and it still was plentiful at 30. As mentioned previously the last time I listened to the N5ii it was at 90 which was fine. I have latest v3.3 firmware on the dap. Something is still wrong with this volume thing.

Maybe the OutputLine option was checked, or maybe, in the settings, the "Startup Volume" was set to Memory

May 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,392 of 4,108
Maybe the OutputLine option was checked, or maybe, in the settings, the "Startup Volume" was set to Memory
That doesn't seem to be his case. If it was line out, he wouldn't be able to change the volume at all, it's more likely that he toggled a higher gain mode. Startup volume shouldn't make 30 sound like 90 but a high gain 30 might sound like a low gain 90.

May 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,393 of 4,108

N5ii is extremely stable for me, no issues in any way, but it also has the fact that I am using it in a minimal style, no DSD, and so on. So I think that stability might vary with how you're using it

The sound, #1s is warmer with a wider presentation, where N5ii is cleaner with more detail, and a better treble presentation, I'd say.

May 14, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,394 of 4,108
N5ii is extremely stable for me, no issues in any way, but it also has the fact that I am using it in a minimal style, no DSD, and so on. So I think that stability might vary with how you're using it

The sound, #1s is warmer with a wider presentation, where N5ii is cleaner with more detail, and a better treble presentation, I'd say.

FYI, the Opus#1 Metal is not the same as Opus#1S :wink:

May 14, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,395 of 4,108
Also, to my ears, and plethora of headphones, the Opus#1S is not wider sounding than the N5ii. In fact, they are more or less equal.

May 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,396 of 4,108
Based on reviews comparing the standard opus 1 and opus 1s, I think the metal opus and opus 1s might sound quite similar.

May 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,397 of 4,108
Possibly. I haven't heard the Metal version, so I can't say either way.

I will be doing an N5ii vs DX150 comparison eventually!

My unit arrived today from iBasso. :D

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,398 of 4,108

Got them mixed up. As for the soundstage, N5ii and #1s are similar, but #1s seems a tad wider, where N5ii seems a bit deeper. At least this is the impression I get from testing them with mltiple IEMs and headphones. Pretty close thing, so we might be splitting hairs.

May 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,399 of 4,108
Just received my n5ii, immediately installed the firmware easily. I was quite impressed with the size / weight of this, it's great !
So far so good, I've listened to multiple well-known songs and I can notice details improvement over my old ipod touch. Tested with my Meze Neo, the sound is quite revealing and funny.

Spotify is reasonably smooth, but there are some lags, probably due to my Wifi. I will try to download offline songs tonight to see out it goes. The Home button is a bit bizarre to use as an Android user since it will come back to the player interface, sort of. Could be annoying with a regular use of a 3rd party app.

I can't wait to test it with my future Fibae 2 !
I’m looking forward to your experience w Spotify/downloaded offline music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back