Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 1, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #2,327 of 4,108
The N5ii sounds like a more dynamic sounding Pono. Wider stage. Punchier bass. Mids have more range. Would be a nice upgrade for you.
Really? :O

I remember that it was very highly regarded because it was very "live" and holographic sounding. I was still using a lowly X1 back then and could only drool over stuff like that :p

May 1, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #2,328 of 4,108

I remember that it was very highly regarded because it was very "live" and holographic sounding. I was still using a lowly X1 back then and could only drool over stuff like that :p

I ve tested the Pono against X3, DX50, DX80 and AK100 back then and liked pono the most. But maybe other newer players like N5ii are a step up. Just asking...

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #2,329 of 4,108
I ve tested the Pono against X3, DX50, DX80 and AK100 back then and liked pono the most. But maybe other newer players like N5ii are a step up. Just asking...
Only heard the DX80. Its hiss and it sounds like all my songs suddenly lack dynamics.

May 1, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #2,330 of 4,108

Oh yea compared to the X1 absolutely. However. The SQ of the Pono is a bit by the numbers. Has a very rectangular type sound meaning it don't do anything to really make it sound like a true high end player but doesn't do anything to make it sound boring either. Smooth fairly resolving and has an enjoyable sound, It still sounds great to me but newer daps in the market has eclipsed the pono in just about every aspect. The balanced out of the Pono is where that player is special but most newer daps with balanced has outdone this aspect as well.

Owning both the Pono and the N5ii. I have to admit my pono has been collecting dust. It don't get much play time now a days. I also prefer my Sony ZX300 and Shanling M3s over the Pono.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #2,331 of 4,108
Oh yea compared to the X1 absolutely. However. The SQ of the Pono is a bit by the numbers. Has a very rectangular type sound meaning it don't do anything to really make it sound like a true high end player but doesn't do anything to make it sound boring either. Smooth fairly resolving and has an enjoyable sound, It still sounds great to me but newer daps in the market has eclipsed the pono in just about every aspect. The balanced out of the Pono is where that player is special but most newer daps with balanced has outdone this aspect as well.

Owning both the Pono and the N5ii. I have to admit my pono has been collecting dust. It don't get much play time now a days. I also prefer my Sony ZX300 and Shanling M3s over the Pono.
Nice to see sound quality also going up as the years pass by.

The ZX300 was a bit of a disappointment to me to be honest. Maybe it's just not my preferred sound or because it doesn't fit my music tastes that well.

I keep finding M2S here but no M3s. Still looking.

May 1, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,332 of 4,108
I am using my ZX300 now as I type. It requires a very long burn in for them to really strut its stuff. But does have a nice sound to it. Is a more neutral signature for being a Sony player. Has some sound enhancements in the player that gives it a more analoge tube type of tone using sound filter switches. It is pretty cool.

It's balanced out is special and I use it most of the time in balanced but it is not a player you can really judge by auditioning it. You have to hear it through its maturation stage after burning in the required 200 hours on both the single end and in balanced. It is crazy requirement but it has a video of how it is required right on the player itself.

The Shanling M3s is a surprising player for the price. I like it a lot actually. It was the reason why I got rid of my Fiio X5iii. Anyway back on topic folks.

May 1, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,334 of 4,108
I like more neutrally tuned iems with daps that have more dynmics to them. N5ii is dynamic sounding large stage with a bit of warmth so a neutrally tuned earphone like the Pinnacle P1 or something like an LZ A5 is excellent combo with the N5ii. This is how thier Cayin C5 amp is so I am getting more familiar with Cayin house tuning. Then I like more colored iems with more neutrally tuned daps like the Shanling or my ZX300

I recently discovered a 6 BA iem called the NiceHCK HK6 being sold on Aliexpress that sounds good on everything. It is a general rule I have but I discovered after owning a few iems and a variety of sources that the player or source has to to almost be the opposite with the type of tuning the earphone has and this usually results in better synergy. I like having different sources with different sound tuning for this very reason.

Neutral earphone with neutral source sounds good enough but if you have the opposite type of sound with that neutral phone you get better synergy.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #2,335 of 4,108
Thanks for the answers both. I have Idle Shutdown highlighted in the drop down menu, the unit is powered on during my test but music is not being played. I have TIDAL installed but am in Audio Priority Mode so 3rd party apps will be disabled.

The delay in replying is because I wanted to run a test. I've charged to 100%, left it in the state described above and 24 hours later 26% of the battery has drained. Seems high to me.
Sounds strange, what is the time before the unit shuts down in idle mode? I have charged it in the night from Sat to Sun last weekend. Have played maybe half an hour until today and it still has 97%. I would also think that a third party app might prevent the unit to shut himself off but you already said that you‘re in the „Audio Priority“ mode. Only thing you could try is resetting the whole unit to factory default and try it again.

May 3, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,336 of 4,108
My N5ii continued to amaze me today. I acquired a set of Audeze iSINE 20's on b-stock from Adorama for an insane deal, and I immediately plugged them into the Cayin. Good dear merciful jolly old lord is this pairing fantastic. I'm not even using the balanced out (don't have a 2.5mm cable for the iSINEs yet) and it still has plenty of power to drive them on medium gain. The ever so slightly warm but detailed signature of the N5ii stands back and lets the Audeze house sound shine through, although "shine" may not be the best way to describe Audeze's -ebony wood floored cigar lounge- sound.

May 4, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,338 of 4,108
Cayin N8 is expected to be released during Munich high end this week along side with Cayin new flagship product, DAC19.

I dont have much money but looking at Cayin HA-300 and the upcoming new Cayin products I'm sure tempted to get a bank loan.

May 4, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,339 of 4,108
Cayin N8 is expected to be released during Munich high end this week along side with Cayin new flagship product, DAC19.

I dont have much money but looking at Cayin HA-300 and the upcoming new Cayin products I'm sure tempted to get a bank loan.
See I knew a new model was about to launch lol!

May 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #2,340 of 4,108
My N5ii continued to amaze me today. I acquired a set of Audeze iSINE 20's on b-stock from Adorama for an insane deal, and I immediately plugged them into the Cayin. Good dear merciful jolly old lord is this pairing fantastic. I'm not even using the balanced out (don't have a 2.5mm cable for the iSINEs yet) and it still has plenty of power to drive them on medium gain. The ever so slightly warm but detailed signature of the N5ii stands back and lets the Audeze house sound shine through, although "shine" may not be the best way to describe Audeze's -ebony wood floored cigar lounge- sound.
Glad you enjoy them :)

I tried the iSine 10 and 20 and found them absolutely awful. There's just this dark, veiled and very congested sound.

I wonder about the reviews which say they are clear sounding because that's the exact opposite of what I heard. Perhaps they have never heard what a clear sound actually sounds like. Soundstage is the only upside to the iSine series imo.

The LCDi4 was so-so out of a high end amp but sounded bad even from TOTL DAPs like the WM1Z or the SP1000. It's really picky. However, considering the price if the LCDi4 I would say its absolute garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back