Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,606 of 4,108
Just to put it out there, I love this player, i had the issues tgat people said about on the last firmware and didnt find it an issue at all. Even this firmware its not all the time problems. But a few times its been a bit invasive.

I have no doubts that Cayin will iron out the issues so dont worry if you think your buying a problem player. Its not, just a biit of ironing out.

As for the player its fantastic. No technical opinion. I just love what it does, its power, sound, i find the UI simple and intuitive. No its not smart phone level but i never expected it to be.

I actually agree i have no doubt cayin will iron out these bugs and I won't regret my purchase when I buy.
But just would like it to be a bit more stable when I do hence my wait a month or poss when less bugs seem to arise.
I have full confidence that it will all be sorted and will follow this thread avidly.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,608 of 4,108
The problem you have encountered is actually a software crash only, unless this happened repeatedly on daily basis. This will happen occasionally on Android device, a double wipe should restore the player to normal operation.
No need for that, simply turning the screen on and off solves it. Very minor/almost ignoreable issue.

I though it was a serious issue from the look but luckily not.

Just posting it here so people will not think it's a catastrophic error or something

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,609 of 4,108
I'm trying to update the firmware but when I press previous key and hold the power key the DAP just turns off. I must be doing something wrong.
Same for me, I found that if you turn it off first then press the two buttons it worked.

Yes,you have to TURN OFF the N5ii first. Then you can hold on the previous key of right side panel and then press Power On/Off button like until the player go into recovery mode

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,610 of 4,108
Please help!! Just bought this device and wanted to download Apple Music. I could not even connect to Wlan!!!! How????

Hi, you can swipe from top to button in N5ii UI to bring out the pull-down menu. Then you can click the wifi button like below to turn on it and connect on your wifi by inputting correct password.
upload_2018-2-27_10-45-37.png

There are two ways to download the third-party apps:
1. Installation package
a. Download the installation package of the third party application, normally suffix with xxx.apk, and copy the file to the internal storage or TF card of the player.
b. Sweep from the left side of Main screen to bring out the Application Menu, select App Drawer
c. Select ES File Explorer, specify the location of the installation package.
d. Select the installation package, complete the installation process as instructed. The application icon will display in App Drawer upon end of installation.

2. Google play **
a. Make sure the player has connected to Internet through WiFi
b. Sweep from the left side of Main screen to bring out the Application Menu, select App Drawer
c. Select Google Play.
d. If you have not used Google Play in this device before, you will be required to enter Google account and password. If you do not have a Google account, please create one with other mobile/computer device.
e. At Back Up page, uncheck “Keep this phone backed up with my Google Account” and select Next step.
f. Uncheck “Keep me up to date with news and offers from Google Play” when asked, and complete the complete the Google Play setup by select “Accept”.
g. You should arrive at Google Play main screen, you can search and install application as needed now. The application icon will display in App Drawer upon end of installation.

Last edited:

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,611 of 4,108
Please help!

- How do switch off "Audio Priority Mode"?

- How do I connect with Wifi?

- Is it normal that my player does not show off at all on my Mac, if I connect it via USB-C?

Did I buy a broken device? I CANNOT USE THE PLAYER AT ALL SO FAR?

Thanks so much for everybody`s help!

Hi,
1.you can swipe from top to button in N5ii UI to bring out the pull-down menu. Then you can click on Audio Priority Mode to switch off it.
2.Then you can click the wifi button like below to turn on it and connect on your wifi by inputting correct password.
3.Do you mean you just want to connect your N5ii to MAC and transfer files? If yes, you need to turn on USB mode on N5ii first in pull-down menu. Then connect N5ii to your mac your type-c cable,you will see "USB connected" pops up on N5ii, please click it->TURN ON USB STORAGE->OK, and N5ii will connect to your MAC successfully.
upload_2018-2-27_10-59-59.png

upload_2018-2-27_11-2-40.png

upload_2018-2-27_11-3-5.png

upload_2018-2-27_11-3-24.png

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,612 of 4,108
I am using the N5ii for almost a week now, and have mixed feelings, to be honest. Just some quick impressions:

POSITIVE:

- Sound: So far really good!
I don`t feel it sounds significantly better than other DAPs in this price range that I have used, so I would not call it "particularly spectacular" (but which one is? Recently they all sound good) :wink: ... For sure the sound is very articulated, precise and clear .... a little bit more on the analytical than musical side (depending on your liking)....
Very nice in total and well worth the money and title "high quality audio player"!

- Design & feel: I feel the i5-Design (which I still found a bit cheesy with it`s strange engraved lines) finally got mature! The N5ii looks and feels simply outstanding!! I love the industrial look, the simplicity (even the high res sticker is "optional"!) , the small footprint, the individual back side with it`s zen like graphics...this is close to perfect in my opinion and exactly the kind of design and physical dimensions I was looking for a long time (at least at this price point)!

- I like the idea that the third party apps are somehow hidden and that there are no default Google Apps etc. You can really concentrate on the function as music player and only download the stuff that you really need!

NEGATIVE:

- The quick start guide is - sorry for saying it like that - terrible!! Cayin, please rethink and rewrite it! When I first switched the device on, it took me almost an hour and some postings in this forum to find out how to switch on Wifi! Why? Because the "Audio Priority Mode" is switched on by defaut and it IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED in the quick start guide (nor can be found in a VISIBLE menue)! How should you know that it exists? Since the OS does not even look close to android - I think I am not the only one that did not have the idea straight away to swipe down the HIDDEN top bar, to find the only way to switch it off and switch on Wifi! Just to name one problem....

- My device had the first version of the firmware installed and it did not come with the Google Play Store!! It took me quite a while until I found out I HAVE to update to a newer version of the firmware first and then finally had the Playstore installed! Nothing mentioned in the quick start guide, too!

- This device does not work well at all with streaming apps! I am hearing some weird beeping noises when I stream, the download performance is sooo slow and sometimes completely stops, streaming generally stotters and it takes ages to change the title....especially with Apple Music it`s almost unusable....I cannot even use the physical buttons with it when the screen is switched off!

- The Android EQ that was implemented in Spotify and Apple Music can not be used and seems to be somehow taken out!

- The device freezes and restarts on a regular base...not nice.

- Screen: As mentioned by others: It`s definitely on the darker side and the viewing angles are bad for current standards. Would be fine for me though, since this is a music player .... but what I find a bit more problematic is that the touch screen sometimes reacts with quite a delay!

So as I said...my feelings are mixed. I was hoping to have finally found a DAP in a perfect size for me that I can also use for streaming....but it does not seem to be the right one....hmmmm?

Hi, thanks for feedback! Where did you buy the N5ii? It seems like you got a CN firmware in your N5ii( only sold in China mainland), which didn't have Google Play pre-installed. The EQ function is only available in Hiby music player. And our EQ is something similar to Hiby music player add-on plug-in instead of an independent function. So it is normal that EQ cannot be used in Spotify and Apple Music.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,614 of 4,108
does anyone know what the root directory folder is called... it wont update with TF card keeps saying 'failure' so I want to put it on the root but not sure what folders it is in

Hi, you can update the firmware with N5ii local storage. Root directory folder is like below.Please don't put the firmware in any other folders for upgrading
upload_2018-2-27_14-30-58.png

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #1,615 of 4,108
No need for that, simply turning the screen on and off solves it. Very minor/almost ignoreable issue.

I though it was a serious issue from the look but luckily not.

Just posting it here so people will not think it's a catastrophic error or something

Ok, that will be great! Thank you for your exlaination and kindness!

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,616 of 4,108
Cayin,

Are there plans to address the problem that the unit thinks number like 10 come before 1?
When playing files in a folder that start with 1 (not 01) then it will play track 10 before track 1.

Hi, this is normal. N5ii deploys "ASCII SORT ORDER" to sort songs in one folder. We don't have a plan to change it currently.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,617 of 4,108
Hi, this is normal. N5ii deploys "ASCII SORT ORDER" to sort songs in one folder. We don't have a plan to change it currently.
It gets pretty wierd when you have a hundred over songs in an album

Eg:
~
~

And so forth.The number 1 isn't in sight until

It would be great to see it change to a more logical one.

I'm don't have experience with software so I'm not sure if it's hard to implement but if it is indeed a hassle, I would prefer Cayin to prioritise bug squashing.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,618 of 4,108
Hello!
I upgrade the DAP to new firmware (3.1en) yesterday and found two problems in "folder" mode.
1. Some folders on the TFcard strangely sorted. Here is a photo with example.
39274420205_d6c1255d2e_z.jpg
2. DAP started to forget the current track and a breakpoint after reboot\shutdown in "folder" mode. Option "breakpoint resume" is on. Here is the video of this issue:

I tried to wipe data and rescan the library, but nothing help. TF formatted to FAT32, there was no problem on a previous firmware (2.1en).
Are this bugs known and what can I do with it?

P.S.: Sorry for bad English...

Any chance that you can double check your current firmware? I just test "breakpoint resume" function with my N5ii on 3.1en , it worked perfectly in my side. If your current firmware is indeed 3.1EN, maybe you can reset N5ii by going to system settings in pull down menu to have a try.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #1,619 of 4,108
Cayin,

Are there plans to address the problem that the unit thinks number like 10 come before 1?
When playing files in a folder that start with 1 (not 01) then it will play track 10 before track 1.
Having owned Xduoo devices which also used this type of odd sorting system, there is a workaround for this this problem. Simply add a 0 to the front of the numbers 1 to 9.
It works for numbers up to 99.

If you have over a hundred songs in a folder like mine it's a lot more tedious since instead of renaming 9 I'll have to rename 99.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,620 of 4,108
Any chance that you can double check your current firmware? I just test "breakpoint resume" function with my N5ii on 3.1en , it worked perfectly in my side. If your current firmware is indeed 3.1EN, maybe you can reset N5ii by going to system settings in pull down menu to have a try.
Hello! Thank you for reply!
I reformat the TFcard from FAT32 to exFAT and problem was gone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back