Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,636 of 4,108
Without going on anout the mojo too much ,I think the mojo is very transport and connection dependent i.e optical, micro usb or coax .I have tried various combos ...hated it from my galaxy phone with micro usb, pretty good with opus1 and optical and also good with laptop usb to micro usb, hated it with a fiio x7 and otg usb...but awesome with the cayin n3 and coax much more defined and airy.
Anyway looking forward to hearing the n5ii though if it's getting that good recognition, all im waiting on is a few less bugs.
I used the Mojo with my iPhone 7 over USB.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,637 of 4,108
N5ii has several ongoing bugs/issues for usb-out function last of which I have quoted below. It is not stable enough to use with an external dac/amplifier like Mojo, IFI Micro IDSD currently. However, cheaper N3 seems to be a better option and is more stable than N5ii to use as a transport.. If you try N5ii otg usb-out with 3.1En, you'll probably hate it. But at least usb type-c to coax function works fine without problems, but unfortunately, you can not play DSD files over coax..

It is better to wait for a while and see whether they will fix the issues for otg usb connection, or not.

Without going on anout the mojo too much ,I think the mojo is very transport and connection dependent i.e optical, micro usb or coax .I have tried various combos ...hated it from my galaxy phone with micro usb, pretty good with opus1 and optical and also good with laptop usb to micro usb, hated it with a fiio x7 and otg usb...but awesome with the cayin n3 and coax much more defined and airy.
Anyway looking forward to hearing the n5ii though if it's getting that good recognition, all im waiting on is a few less bugs.

@CayinSupport , do you follow this issue in your backlog?

It freezes and needs a restart after I press power button once to activate/open the screen in order to choose another song while listening in offline mode Tidal or Spotify by using external DAC from usb output(Mojo, IFI Micro IDSD BLack)..(it is closed after a period of time to save battery).

However, it is interesting that it works as expected and does not freeze when I do the same things and listen directly from phone-Out of N5ii(Tidal/Spotify etc..).. It seems to be another bug when it is used with an external DAC/Amplifier using USB-OUT.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,638 of 4,108
N5ii has several ongoing bugs/issues for usb-out function last of which I have quoted below. It is not stable enough to use with an external dac/amplifier like Mojo, IFI Micro IDSD currently. However, cheaper N3 seems to be a better option and is more stable than N5ii to use as a transport.. If you try N5ii otg usb-out with 3.1En, you'll probably hate it. But at least usb type-c to coax function works fine without problems, but unfortunately, you can not play DSD files over coax..
I can certainly vouch for the N3 as an excellent transport (I use it with the iDSD BL, both micro and nano), plus the added feature of HiBy Link makes it even more enjoyable. The N5ii would be for me a standalone light mobile solution.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,639 of 4,108
I can certainly vouch for the N3 as an excellent transport (I use it with the iDSD BL, both micro and nano), plus the added feature of HiBy Link makes it even more enjoyable. The N5ii would be for me a standalone light mobile solution.
N3 is awesome as transport.
I think hiby on most daps would be a distinct advantage , pulling a dap out of your pocket is cumbersome when wired also phones are slimmer easier to access and most are shower proof now.
People access there phones texting , social networking constantly nowadays leaving the dap in pocket is a distinct advantage in my eyes .

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,640 of 4,108
Hi
Today I received my N5ii and tried it out mainly with spotify streaming through wifi. Everything went well for about an hour, than I decided to check the firmware and updated from 1.1 to 3.1
Since then the wifi stream is skipping. Did I do something wrong with the update, missed something to do, or is this a known issue on fw 3.1?

edit: never mind, factory reset seems to do the trick so far.
edit2: I have been glad too early, after 5 tracks the problem came back. Man, I'm pissed off

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,641 of 4,108

It is better to wait for a while and see whether they will fix the issues for otg usb connection, or not.

@CayinSupport , do you follow this issue in your backlog?

Yes, I keep following this issue. We started to work this out, but not yet solving the problem completely, We have to defer this solution for next firmware update.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,642 of 4,108
Hi
Today I received my N5ii and tried it out mainly with spotify streaming through wifi. Everything went well for about an hour, than I decided to check the firmware and updated from 1.1 to 3.1
Since then the wifi stream is skipping. Did I do something wrong with the update, missed something to do, or is this a known issue on fw 3.1?

edit: never mind, factory reset seems to do the trick so far.
edit2: I have been glad too early, after 5 tracks the problem came back. Man, I'm pissed off

Hi, I haven't received a similar feedback so far. May I know how far between your N5ii and your router?Is there any obstacle between them? When your wifi stream was skipping in N5ii, did other wifi devices like cell phones work well?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 1, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,643 of 4,108
Yes, Andy, yes. Cayin takes all these reports very seriously... LOL

call%20important%20funny-pictures-blog.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #1,644 of 4,108
Hi, I haven't received a similar feedback so far. May I know how far between your N5ii and your router?Is there any obstacle between them? When your wifi stream was skipping in N5ii, did other wifi devices like cell phones work well?

Thank you for the response on my problem. I've done some troubleshooting yesterday evening but was too tired to report the findings, but now I write them down.
The router was in the same room without any obstacles between and about 3-4m away. I did not experience any outage in the wifi or internet line with other devices. In fact I was working over VPN with my laptop and that VPN connection is pretty sensitive and requires constant internet access. Would have disconnected and I would have noticed.
So I tried first to wipe cache, than the factory reset. After that I restarted the router and switched of other devices to exclude the possibility of interference. At that point I was in the middle of downloading my latest spotify playlist for offline availability. We are talking about 300MB compressed data and it took ages. However there were periods where it speed up. At the end when I woke up this morning everything has been downloaded. Maybe there was a problem with the spotify service or with my ISP in connection with spotify. Honestly I don't know what else I could check. Will delete and try downloading again to see it's any better than yesterday.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,645 of 4,108
Tried out the AK A&ultima SP1000 yesterday.

I know this comparison isn't fair but I'm just sharing my impressions :) .For something that's 10x the price of the N5ii im surprised how well the N5ii held up.

The soundstage width is about the same but the AK has a deeper soundstage. However, the instrument separation is godly on the AK. Every instrument has its own very defined space. The layering is much better too. Guess that's what reviewers meant by holographic. The main instrument never obscures the quieter tunes in the background.

The AK has a slightly smoother impact compared to the N5ii. The crunch is more accurate on the N5ii imo. The N5ii also has better textured sub-base. Oddly that's a trait I only find in DAPs with es 9018 sabre chips. I haven't tried the Ibasso DX200 or the X7ii but the Hidizs AP200 which uses the es 9118c doesn't have this very well textured sub-bass.

I was impressed by the DX90's bass when I first listened to it but that was 3? 4? years ago so I can't be sure.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #1,646 of 4,108
OK, so now I deleted the spotify app and restarted the player. After restart the internal memory was empty so I made this way sure all the downloaded spotify music has been erased too. And now all the download within the app is snappy and fast. Maybe it was really a problem with my ISP or spotify itself. For now I recall my previous posts and I'm sorry if I represented Cayin in a bad picture.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,647 of 4,108
Hello, CayinSupport and Andykong!

I have three wishes to improve player usability:

1. Please, make track navigation more slow. Now I can skip 57 min track in two (TWO!!!) seconds. I't impossible to adequate track navigation.

2. Please, allow S/PDIF out with headphones connected. Now it works only without headphones. It's really cool to listen to music from headphones and subwoofer simultaneously.

3. Please, improve .cue processing in filesystem navigation. I think the N3 way is better (when you see only tracks list from .cue without real sound files (flac, ape, etc)). I think PowerAmp player is the best in this case.

And of course, thank you for wonderful sound of palyer! I'm very happy :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,648 of 4,108
Tried out the AK A&ultima SP1000 yesterday.

I know this comparison isn't fair but I'm just sharing my impressions :) .For something that's 10x the price of the N5ii im surprised how well the N5ii held up.

The soundstage width is about the same but the AK has a deeper soundstage. However, the instrument separation is godly on the AK. Every instrument has its own very defined space. The layering is much better too. Guess that's what reviewers meant by holographic. The main instrument never obscures the quieter tunes in the background.

The AK has a slightly smoother impact compared to the N5ii. The crunch is more accurate on the N5ii imo. The N5ii also has better textured sub-base. Oddly that's a trait I only find in DAPs with es 9018 sabre chips. I haven't tried the Ibasso DX200 or the X7ii but the Hidizs AP200 which uses the es 9118c doesn't have this very well textured sub-bass.

I was impressed by the DX90's bass when I first listened to it but that was 3? 4? years ago so I can't be sure.

I am sooo itching to buy this dap but just need it to be a bit more stable, all daps i have bought come with bugs I accept that. The x7, opus1 both had bugs especially x7 but there seems to be a lot of factory resets going on which would frustrate the hell out of me.
I'm genuinely not trying to put anyone off buying this and from owning n3 for about 3 or 4 days and also following this thread I can see that cayin are trying to sort out the bugs (and do sort out bugs n3) which is commendable.
Just frustrating watching thread with cash in pocket waiting lol but I know I would be more frustrated having to reset a lot.
Fingers crossed it gets a bit more stable soon cayin, already love the little n3.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,649 of 4,108
I am sooo itching to buy this dap but just need it to be a bit more stable, all daps i have bought come with bugs I accept that. The x7, opus1 both had bugs especially x7 but there seems to be a lot of factory resets going on which would frustrate the hell out of me.
I'm genuinely not trying to put anyone off buying this and from owning n3 for about 3 or 4 days and also following this thread I can see that cayin are trying to sort out the bugs (and do sort out bugs n3) which is commendable.
Just frustrating watching thread with cash in pocket waiting lol but I know I would be more frustrated having to reset a lot.
Fingers crossed it gets a bit more stable soon cayin, already love the little n3.
I really don't understand your negative posts about bugs. Yes, sometimes I have a little pause, but no real problem. N5ii has no big issues. N5ii is stable. N5ii is a great player for the money and you have to accept a couple of minor issues. No player is 100% perfect.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,650 of 4,108
I really don't understand your negative posts about bugs. Yes, sometimes I have a little pause, but no real problem. N5ii has no big issues. N5ii is stable. N5ii is a great player for the money and you have to accept a couple of minor issues. No player is 100% perfect.

I don't think my posts have been that negative, in fact in previous post I said all players come with bugs and accept that.
I have just from reading thread seen a lot of OTHERS factory reset posts which for ME would irritate me , i am definitely NOT saying DON'T buy this player or trolling I fully intend to buy one but for ME when less prone to resetting as others seem to be having to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back