Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,096 of 4,108
I just noticed a "feature" that I would like adjusted.
I play music on the unit by folder. The unit seems to prioritize track 11 over track 1.
The workaround is to renumber files, but its easier just to have the unit recognize that track 1 is the same as 01 (which is the workaround).

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,097 of 4,108
How do I get my foobar2000 playlists to work in the Cayin N5ii; particularly across multiple cards?

Also, I've noticed that the genre menu tab lists a bunch of generic genres at the top that I don't use, and thus are empty; is it possible to change, remove, or at least hide them?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,099 of 4,108
How do I get my foobar2000 playlists to work in the Cayin N5ii; particularly across multiple cards?

Also, I've noticed that the genre menu tab lists a bunch of generic genres at the top that I don't use, and thus are empty; is it possible to change, remove, or at least hide them?

Hi,the genres cannot be removed or hided as it is coming with the system.For how to getfoobar2000 playlists, maybe you can create a m3u playlist by foorbar to realize it.Please follow steps below:
1.Create a m3u playlist by foorbar and save it as M3U file in your computer.
upload_2018-1-23_10-40-43.png

upload_2018-1-23_11-3-50.png

2. If your M3U file suffix has been hidden like
upload_2018-1-23_11-4-38.png
, please go ahead to step3. If your M3U file looks like
upload_2018-1-23_11-5-10.png
, you could skip step3 and go to step4 directly.

3.On the left hand side of your computer, please go to windows->computer->Organize->Folder and search options->View-> uncheck “Hide extension for known file types-> click on OK (Note: the whole operations on this page are based on windows 7 computer. If you have computers running on win8,win10, mac, please google “ how to uncheck hide extension for known file types” on your own )
upload_2018-1-23_11-6-25.png

upload_2018-1-23_11-6-57.png

upload_2018-1-23_11-7-39.png

4. Highlight M3U file and right click on it, then go to”rename”
upload_2018-1-23_11-8-15.png

5. Change M3U suffix to TXT and a pop-up massage will give your two choices, please select “Yes”
upload_2018-1-23_11-8-40.png

6. Change the M3U file paths to the form below:
upload_2018-1-23_11-9-21.png

7. Change the suffix from TXT to M3U and select” Yes” again.
upload_2018-1-23_11-9-53.png

8. Please copy your M3U file from your PC to the root directory of SD card and note that the original songs should be list here also. Deletion or migration of original songs will cause M3U file cannot playback successfully and error “ music file missing.
upload_2018-1-23_11-10-24.png

9. Enjoy your M3U files playback.
upload_2018-1-23_11-10-52.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,100 of 4,108
Its the other way round! I cant change the volume on PO in 3.5 port. But i can on LO?
The volume goes quiet on PO and cannot change

Really? If so, it is indeed strange. Since we are in different region, I cannot see and test it for you. What I recommend is that you can contact your retailer and test it again face to face to confirm the issue.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,103 of 4,108
@Andykong, @CayinSupport did your developers find out the root cause behind the noise on the usb output?
Are you likely to solve this issue in the firmware update which is planned in February? Is it due to a critical hardware issue or a bug that can be solved by software update?

Our senior engineers are testing the firmware now. Will release as soon as possible as we can.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,104 of 4,108
Hi,the genres cannot be removed or hided as it is coming with the system.For how to getfoobar2000 playlists, maybe you can create a m3u playlist by foorbar to realize it.Please follow steps below:
1.Create a m3u playlist by foorbar and save it as M3U file in your computer.

2. If your M3U file suffix has been hidden like , please go ahead to step3. If your M3U file looks like , you could skip step3 and go to step4 directly.

3.On the left hand side of your computer, please go to windows->computer->Organize->Folder and search options->View-> uncheck “Hide extension for known file types-> click on OK (Note: the whole operations on this page are based on windows 7 computer. If you have computers running on win8,win10, mac, please google “ how to uncheck hide extension for known file types” on your own )

4. Highlight M3U file and right click on it, then go to”rename”

5. Change M3U suffix to TXT and a pop-up massage will give your two choices, please select “Yes”

6. Change the M3U file paths to the form below:

7. Change the suffix from TXT to M3U and select” Yes” again.

8. Please copy your M3U file from your PC to the root directory of SD card and note that the original songs should be list here also. Deletion or migration of original songs will cause M3U file cannot playback successfully and error “ music file missing.

9. Enjoy your M3U files playback.

Please pin this somewhere, this is super useful info! :darthsmile:

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,105 of 4,108
my decision making for n5II vs R6 was more nuanced.

- Less than 1ohm output impedance (r6 is going to do a number on andromedas and Low-Z IEMs, this was the main reason I chose n5II)
- n5II - More storage (better digital transport if they fix the usb digital out issue)
- Don't want to deal with proprietary sony cables in a country where zx300 is not being sold

Sound quality is great and n5II is unimpeachable there, However the product experience as a whole has been terribad(software, lets it down)
If R6 gets the sound quality and overall experience right and one is not bothered by the output impedance issue then R6 would be a no brainer.

But thankfully, n5II is fulfilling my needs perfectly(if the usb-c audio thing is taken care of), So i'll be keeping it for now. I would advice anyone
considering the n5II or R6 to do their research and have clarity on their current and future needs.

Hope R6 will be a game changer (dat screen though ◉_◉ ), as far as responsive daps in the 500$ ish price range are concerned.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,106 of 4,108
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,108 of 4,108
Hello, I have noticed on my n5ii after the latest update that whenever I play music on (cayin stock music player) then I turn off the screen on dedicated button, then suddenly the music pauses and i'll turn on the screen and the song I was playing already skipped/changed? It happens often.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,109 of 4,108
Hello @CayinSupport @Andykong
It seems to me that this thread has become somewhat of a technical support forum. Do you recommend that users continue to post here or do you have your own forums/sites (similar to Fiio)?

I have three more things to ask or comment on if you don't mind:
1) Nobody appears to have commented here on the display of colors on the N5ii, although Lieven's review at Headfonia does mention it, so I wonder if this is issue is specific to my unit or not: basically, the color temperature on the N5ii display appears to be quite cold (blueish) and lacking in contrast. I've taken some photos of album covers comparing the N5ii display (on the left) with the display on my Samsung S4 mini (on the right), which has more accurate colors. The differences are quite stark in some cases. You can see the photos here: https://imgur.com/a/5tdCd

If this issue applies to all units, do you think it's possible to correct the color temperature to make it more netural (accurate, in my mind) through a future firmware update?

Thank you very much for pointing out the "technical support forum" issue. I also feel that the situation is a bit out of control when a large number of posts are directed to me or Silvia (Cayinsupport) directly using the @ function instead of raising a topic for open discussion by all members. I have addressed this issue in a separated post, I hope we can get back to the discussion mode ASAP;

The color temperature of the N5ii display indeed is on the cold side, we are aware of this during the product development stage already, we have tried to correct the color temperature but on the expenses of dynamic and contrast. We believe the current screen setting is the better compromise of the screen we have adopted for N5ii, so its unlikely that we'll change the setting in subsequent firmware update.

I knew it! He was talking about me, therefore I have to reply (jk):
I would have to respectfully disagree with anyone who calls this an inexpensive or budget DAP. IMO, a budget DAP is something in the sub-$200 range, like the entry-level choices from Fiio, Cayin, Cowon, etc. At this price point, I wouldn't criticize anyone for being picky about relatively basic or promised features, not that you guys are being critical--I know you're just stating your opinions. As for the general argument that it's a DAP, therefore we should just be happy that it plays music reliably: actually, it's a pretty advanced DAP that can do many things that basic DAPs can't (bluetooth, streaming, DSD playback, etc.). It's reasonable to be dissatisfied if any of those features don't work as expected, especially those things that are important to any given person. Evidently, not many people care about the screen. I happen to care, particularly because a neutral color temp is pretty much expected of even the cheapest displays. Then there are others who care about features that I don't care about like OTG; everyone has their priorities so to speak. You wouldn't tell them likewise, it's a DAP, it plays music, end of story. Anyways, I hope this isn't interpreted as rant. Just making a counter-point.

In our experience, its inappropriate to rank the DAP by dollar value only. For old-school DAP such as N3, N5, and N6, I agree your idea to categorize the sub-$200 as entry-level DAP and I'll continue by saying $400 is the starting point of mid-tier DAP where users will be more demanding. Unfortunately the figure is not directly applicable to "smart DAP" such as N5ii or our previous i5. The Smart DAP, or you can call it Android -based DAP, require a bigger screen, touch-sensor, a more capable MCU, WiFi, streaming-ready, ... all these are basic requirement for smart-DAP, and you simply can't cope with them at sub-$200. I believe US300 is as low as you can get, sub-$400 as the benchmark for entry-level smart-DAP is therefore a valid point IMHO. As with the entry-level old-school DAP, you'll find the entry-level smart-DAP full of compromises, and each brand has their own take in the give-and-take product design process.

This sounds like a "minor" adjustment, but this in fact a major redevelopment of our system. N5ii (and i5) is running on a fully customized "closed" Android system that use HiBy Music Player as the core , we are kind of like AK DAPs where there is NO Android desktop to start with. HiBy R6, on the other hand has a opened-Android approach where you can access the Android desktop. There is no quick way to change a Closed Android to an opened-Android but to rewrite a large part of the system functions.

The battery issue has been discussed previously:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-49#post-13958087

Last edited:

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,110 of 4,108
Quick question to @Andykong
How digital coaxial signal is managed, What receiver is used for coxial out ?

Do you mean something like this:

N5ii Digital Functions.jpg

This is a simplified version for your information. Sorry we can't the full details.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back