Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,022 of 4,108
Hello @CayinSupport @Andykong
It seems to me that this thread has become somewhat of a technical support forum. Do you recommend that users continue to post here or do you have your own forums/sites (similar to Fiio)?

I have three more things to ask or comment on if you don't mind:
1) Nobody appears to have commented here on the display of colors on the N5ii, although Lieven's review at Headfonia does mention it, so I wonder if this is issue is specific to my unit or not: basically, the color temperature on the N5ii display appears to be quite cold (blueish) and lacking in contrast. I've taken some photos of album covers comparing the N5ii display (on the left) with the display on my Samsung S4 mini (on the right), which has more accurate colors. The differences are quite stark in some cases. You can see the photos here: https://imgur.com/a/5tdCd

If this issue applies to all units, do you think it's possible to correct the color temperature to make it more netural (accurate, in my mind) through a future firmware update?

2) It would be nice to have quicker access to third party apps like Spotify, for example, by having the option to boot to the android homescreen rather than the HiBy player as many other Android-based players do by default. Sometimes I just want to stream music and going through the side menu and selecting third party apps is a bit of a hassle.

3) Can the battery on the N5ii be replaced eventually? (I see two screws on the bottom, which suggests that the unit can be opened).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,023 of 4,108
Hello @CayinSupport @Andykong
It seems to me that this thread has become somewhat of a technical support forum. Do you recommend that users continue to post here or do you have your own forums/sites (similar to Fiio)?

I have two more things to ask if you don't mind:
1) Nobody appears to have commented here on the display of colors on the N5ii, although Lieven's review at Headfonia does mention it, so I wonder if this is issue is specific to my unit or not: basically, the color temperature on the N5ii display appears to be quite cold (blueish) and lacking in contrast. I've taken some photos of album covers comparing the N5ii display (on the left) with the display on my Samsung S4 mini (on the right), which has more accurate colors. The differences are quite stark in some cases. You can see the photos here: https://imgur.com/a/5tdCd

If this issue applies to all units, do you think it's possible to correct the color temperature to make it more netural (accurate, in my mind) through a future firmware update?

2) It would be nice to have quicker access to third party apps like Spotify, for example, by having the option to boot to the android homescreen rather than the HiBy player as many other Android-based players do by default. Sometimes I just want to stream music and going through the side menu and selecting third party apps is a bit of a hassle.

Thanks!

HI
do you really find that cold colour temperature is an issue ?
In regards to having choice with booting up to android, has no point in my way as I buy DAP to play music from storage and that should be its strongest point. Rest are add ons which brings it to phone level.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,024 of 4,108
HI
do you really find that cold colour temperature is an issue ?
In regards to having choice with booting up to android, has no point in my way as I buy DAP to play music from storage and that should be its strongest point. Rest are add ons which brings it to phone level.

In short, yes I find it an issue. Album covers have an effect on my enjoyment of music and on my selection of music (e.g., when browsing Spotify) and part of the reason why I bought an Android-based device is so that I could view them better. At this price point, it's not unreasonable to expect an accurate display.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,025 of 4,108
In short, yes I find it an issue. Album covers have an effect on my enjoyment of music and on my selection of music (e.g., when browsing Spotify) and part of the reason why I bought an Android-based device is so that I could view them better. At this price point, it's not unreasonable to expect an accurate display.

I do now want be picky, but I do not find it expensive and I thought people buy DAP to appreciate music not the album covers. I like my covers to but they have no effect when I listen to the music :)

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,026 of 4,108
I never noticed until you mentioned it, but I agree, there is a blue tint to the displayed album covers. Nothing too noticeable though.

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,027 of 4,108
Just received my N5ii and boy is it a sexy thing. I use samsung phones so nagivating is a dream and its noce and snappy.
Got a quick question:
Is there only 2 digital filters? And which one does most people use?

Just listening on my current IEMS the Whizzer A15 and KZ ZS5. Been trying out different tips.
Wierdly my Simbio tips are not the best for the A15 like they are for the KZs.
Iv found the included 'transparents' to work best, tames the bass a bit and brightens up the mids and highs.

The KZ appear to show their limitations, finding them a little tinny here.

Cant wait to get some Mid-Fi IEMS which i plan to get in the coming weeks

Well done Cayin i am really impressed by this device.

Btw. I am not using the best quality music atm. I have some flacs which were downloaded ages ago and are not that well rendered i think and also mp3 320.
When my new Micro Sd arrives tomorrow i am putting on my CD rips and music brought from hdtracks and hi res audio. I will havea better judgmet on the iems and player when i know the music is of kosher quality

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,028 of 4,108
You know, is it just me or are a few of us/you taking the "bells and whistles" on this DAP a bit too far? For me, this is exactly what it is, a DAP, nothing more. A good one so far, I may add. I think all the other peripheries are nice to haves, but a budget DAP, this thing excels at. Of course it shouldn't crash often and should play files that it supports and supposed to play.

Just my two cents and rave about this budget DAP.

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,029 of 4,108
You know, is it just me or are a few of us/you taking the "bells and whistles" on this DAP a bit too far? For me, this is exactly what it is, a DAP, nothing more. A good one so far, I may add. I think all the other peripheries are nice to haves, but a budget DAP, this thing excels at. Of course it shouldn't crash often and should play files that it supports and supposed to play.

Just my two cents and rave about this budget DAP.
You mean me or just generally to the group?

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,031 of 4,108
griff06,

No not you specifically. More general to the group. I think it is fair to want more from the DAP, we all do. It's just that we have to just remember what this really was meant to do, right?

The blue tint on the screen, well, it's probably not a very expensive screen and when I listen the screen is off anyways.

Anyways, sorry but my comment was not "targeted" to anyone specific.

Tuan

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,032 of 4,108
griff06,

No not you specifically. More general to the group. I think it is fair to want more from the DAP, we all do. It's just that we have to just remember what this really was meant to do, right?

The blue tint on the screen, well, it's probably not a very expensive screen and when I listen the screen is off anyways.

Anyways, sorry but my comment was not "targeted" to anyone specific.

Tuan
I knew it! He was talking about me, therefore I have to reply (jk):
I would have to respectfully disagree with anyone who calls this an inexpensive or budget DAP. IMO, a budget DAP is something in the sub-$200 range, like the entry-level choices from Fiio, Cayin, Cowon, etc. At this price point, I wouldn't criticize anyone for being picky about relatively basic or promised features, not that you guys are being critical--I know you're just stating your opinions. As for the general argument that it's a DAP, therefore we should just be happy that it plays music reliably: actually, it's a pretty advanced DAP that can do many things that basic DAPs can't (bluetooth, streaming, DSD playback, etc.). It's reasonable to be dissatisfied if any of those features don't work as expected, especially those things that are important to any given person. Evidently, not many people care about the screen. I happen to care, particularly because a neutral color temp is pretty much expected of even the cheapest displays. Then there are others who care about features that I don't care about like OTG; everyone has their priorities so to speak. You wouldn't tell them likewise, it's a DAP, it plays music, end of story. Anyways, I hope this isn't interpreted as rant. Just making a counter-point.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,033 of 4,108
autur,

I like it! Yes, your points are valid...I guess I've been stuck in the world of "audiophila" where if it is under $1k, it's a "budget" component. I mean look at the other DAPs out there from Astell & Kern, the defuncked Pono, and other DAP > $1k!

I would love to have a better screen, OTG that works, for the N5ii to not just cut out once in awhile, etc. Maybe I've been lucky with my 5nii. In any case, thanks for setting me straight!

I guess I was just getting tired of all the nick picking in the thread updates I got rather than informative notes on the 5nii.

Now I've done it, I've just contributed to the "nick picking" in the thread! ARGH!

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,034 of 4,108
I think it is good for us to share problem areas with Cayin. They are still updating the firmware actively. I think they plan on having this be a big product over time; so it is worth it to them to perfect the unit where it can be improved.

I would agree with the multiple threads that the unit does not play all that well with windows 7 right now. USB connections get lost and can be very slow. I understood the shared bus issue but I wonder if something can be done to speed basic transfers up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back