Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #811 of 4,108
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #814 of 4,108
Hi,

New to DAP and just bought the N5ii and OPPO PM-3. So far I'm happy.

I have tried Tidal MQA and must say I think it sounds very good. However, is there any possibility to use the N5ii to unfold the MQA files while being used as a USB DAC? I successfully install the drivers and can use it for the computer (although some noise and sparks sometimes, using 4.35 driver from the Chinese download site). But it seems like it doesn't unfold the next layer of MQA and if pass through it only shows 24/44.1 or 24/48.

Secondly I wonder where to buy that nice leather case for the N5ii? I live in China so I tried the Taobao store and JD but no success. (cannot speak Chinese)

/Ola

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #815 of 4,108
Hi,

I have tried Tidal MQA and must say I think it sounds very good. However, is there any possibility to use the N5ii to unfold the MQA files while being used as a USB DAC? I successfully install the drivers and can use it for the computer (although some noise and sparks sometimes, using 4.35 driver from the Chinese download site). But it seems like it doesn't unfold the next layer of MQA and if pass through it only shows 24/44.1 or 24/48.

Secondly I wonder where to buy that nice leather case for the N5ii? I live in China so I tried the Taobao store and JD but no success. (cannot speak Chinese)

/Ola
【我剁手都要买的宝贝(cayin N5ii 皮套凯音斯巴克 便携式N5ii防滑耐磨保护皮套),快来和我一起瓜分红I包】http://m.tb.cn/h.ZaKPxkF 点击链接,再选择浏览器打开;或复制这条信息¥iDiJ0kyeCk7¥后打开手淘

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #816 of 4,108
Hi,

/Ola

For MQA files question, I cannot make sure remember it right 100%. I remember MQA require a license, we can't just implement it into our DAC, so there is no plan to add this format to our support list right now. I will double confirm with my colleague and come back to you. Besides, for the noise problem,what is the operating system of your computer? are your music formats all MQA? Do you have the same problem with other DAPs?

You could contact our international sales manager at John@cayin.cn to buy N5ii leather case.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #817 of 4,108
Hi All!

This is weird, I received the replacement of my N5ii for a month now, but the left lights flicker sometimes but just a minor problem as I just need to switch it off then on again to make the flickering gone.

but the Major problem is, I don't know if this is something that Cayin is working out, When I play Random Access Memory by Daft Punk, I tend to increase the gain from low to mid then volume up to 90 to get the sound quality/right volume of 24/96 2806 bitrate.

But when I switch to low gain then play a normal music(FLAC) 16/44 bitrate 1086, the volume seems low or weak coming from mid gain to low gain.
In order for me to make it normal again, I need to restart N5ii to get the regular volume level of 70 low-gain for my normal listening.

I am using 3.5mm port and haven't tried it yet with balance, question is??
- is there a problem with my N5ii again?
- is this normal and I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem?

ALL N5II users, kindly confirm.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #818 of 4,108
Well I have ordered a Cayin n5II through MusicTech and Amazon to arrive Friday. I look forward to owning a Cayin product, in part because of product quality and frankly in part because of the tremendous efforts of Andy. I was impressed by the sound of a previous android device from Cayin but thought the user interface was a bit clumsy. This unit seems to have most issues cleared up. Great user reviews of course can’t hurt, and I thank our many contributors here for their efforts.

I have also ordered a balanced cable from LendMeUrEars for the FLC8S. I have given up, at least for now, in coming up with a balanced cable for my somewhat non standard Trinity Icarus III. My favorite IEM is the FLC8S anyway so that is what matters.

I don’t have any standard Android devices, just some Amazon Fire devices. Am I able to register for the Google play store with this unit? I would like to download a few key Android apps; Sirius XM, Synology DS Audio, and Dropbox for example. Some tips would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #819 of 4,108
Well I have ordered a Cayin n5II through MusicTech and Amazon to arrive Friday. I look forward to owning a Cayin product, in part because of product quality and frankly in part because of the tremendous efforts of Andy. I was impressed by the sound of a previous android device from Cayin but thought the user interface was a bit clumsy. This unit seems to have most issues cleared up. Great user reviews of course can’t hurt, and I thank our many contributors here for their efforts.

I have also ordered a balanced cable from LendMeUrEars for the FLC8S. I have given up, at least for now, in coming up with a balanced cable for my somewhat non standard Trinity Icarus III. My favorite IEM is the FLC8S anyway so that is what matters.

I don’t have any standard Android devices, just some Amazon Fire devices. Am I able to register for the Google play store with this unit? I would like to download a few key Android apps; Sirius XM, Synology DS Audio, and Dropbox for example. Some tips would be great.

Thanks.
I don't use those apps, but I was able to open the google play store and search and find those apps you listed, and assume I could download and install them.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #820 of 4,108

Thanks.

Hi, many thanks for your trust and support! Google Play was pre-installed in N5ii but you need to register for the Google Play in your PC before you login into it in N5ii.There are two ways you could download the Apps above:
1. Installation package
a. Download the installation package of the third party application, normally suffix with xxx.apk, and copy the file to the internal storage or TF card of the player.
b. Sweep from the left side of Main screen to bring out the Application Menu, select App Drawer
c. Select ES File Explorer, specify the location of the installation package.
d. Select the installation package, complete the installation process as instructed. The application icon will display in App Drawer upon end of installation.

2. Google play **
a. Make sure the player has connected to Internet through WiFi
b. Sweep from the left side of Main screen to bring out the Application Menu, select App Drawer
c. Select Google Play.
d. If you have not used Google Play in this device before, you will be required to enter Google account and password. If you do not have a Google account, please create one with other mobile/computer device.
e. At Back Up page, uncheck “Keep this phone backed up with my Google Account” and select Next step.
f. Uncheck “Keep me up to date with news and offers from Google Play” when asked, and complete the complete the Google Play setup by select “Accept”.
g. You should arrive at Google Play main screen, you can search and install application as needed now. The application icon will display in App Drawer upon end of installation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #822 of 4,108
Would it be a good idea to also consider the Fiio X5iii before I go and purchase the Cayin N5ii? Has anyone done a comparison on these similarly priced DAPs?
Imho, Fiio X5iii sucks if you are searching a slightly warm sounding DAP at the same price tag. Checked AR M200? Fiio X7ii with modular amp may suit you(me) if your budget is more.

I am N5ii user, btw.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #823 of 4,108
Just received my n5ii. It came with the 2.1 en firmware. Initially it connected to my WiFi network but as i tried to scan for my synology server, the player crashed with the error that Cayin music has stopped. I had to restart and after reboot, it went to region and time settings again. But after that it is stuck on the complete tab saying commencing the ultimate experience with a lock icon in the notification panel if I try and swipe down on the screen. Doing a factory reset does not change anything. Do I have a defective unit? What do i try next? At this time its an expensive paperweight. Thanks for any help.I was excited to receive this. Now I am bummed.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #824 of 4,108
So booting into the boot loader and doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I can finally go through the initialization process. So sd cards are detected and I can play music. However while my synology and plex servers are seen, as soon as I try to access any files, 'the cayin audio has stopped' error is shown and the device crashes. Has anybody experienced a similar problem in accessing music on their network and is there anything I can try. The network feature was a key factor in choosing this dap. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #825 of 4,108
I'm a sucker for VU meters - anyone know how to keep them as the default? Also, what's the significance of the animated musical note (see pic)? It doesn't seem to serve any function.

Whilst feeling my way through the player as it was performing a scan, the orange elements in the display all turned blue - which I really liked - but I haven't been able to replicate. Was it just to indicate that a background task was in progress?

IMG_5367.jpg IMG_5370.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back