Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #766 of 4,108
Andy, this is how I got replacement Li-Polymer battery for my One +1 phone: seller from China sent it (through Ebay) inside a throwaway cheap plastic toy car, which would have cost no more then 5 cents. You take the battery out and dump toy in to the bin, unless offcourse you can fool your kid that it is a Ferrari (Lol!). Toy contains no insides, but technically battery is installed inside a device and therefore passes customs with no problems.

I would say PHYSICALLY the battery is installed but technically it is not. :grin:

This is a nice try, there is a risk of battery get confiscated. If the buyer is willing to take the risk, I think this is worth trying out.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #767 of 4,108
If one buys the chinese version with firmware 2.0CN, could it be reflashed to the 2.1EN firmware?

Theoretically yes, but that will depends on the date code inside the firmware. Typically our EN firmware will be online 1 week after the CN firmware, but in this round we are pushing the limit to 1 day different only, that will narrow down the window between the two version. If they happen to be compiled on the same day, then Android might reject this.

I don't suggest you buy a N5ii with 2.0CN firmware and then try it out because this is risky, but if you have the v2.0CN N5ii on hand and need the Google Play, worth trying it out with manual upgrade route.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #768 of 4,108
Good day Andy.

The first one is the closest. It occasionally shows up when I do one of the three things I mentioned. I can definitely assure you that I did not, in any way, nudge the volume adjustment wheel whenever I experience this. It is kinda difficult for me to send a video proof as it occurs when you least expect it. I'll post it here if ever I caught it on cam.

I also want to add another observation which I forgot to include. This has something to do with the clock and the cover art

-Missing Clock-
I'm always on Audio Priority Mode since I only listen to my music collection and not with any streaming services like Tidal or Spotify. There are times that I notice that there's no clock on the main screen. It is present on the lockscreen but after you have unlocked the unit, it doesn't display the time. To be honest, I haven't read the manual but is this one of the functions when the unit is in this mode? Below is a pic for your reference.

fQJSyW1.jpg
8qAkZHi.jpg

-Cover Art-
I am kinda O.C. with it comes to my audio files and I make sure that the information within them is complete and uniform. Items like album covers, year published, etc. are present in each file that I have. There are cases when I go the tab after Music, which is Album, It'll show all the albums (with its cover art) available for me. But when I start playing the song, the album art shown is the Cayin Default album art. This will be the same for all the albums. This happens even if I didn't do any changes on the storage, say adding or deleting albums. What I do to remedy this is to have the unit re-scan again all the songs and have it restarted. After some time, like a day or two, It'll happen again as if I have removed all the album covers from all the files.

I really like this unit and I like the fact that it sounds great and can do many things for an affordable price. I hope that this gets to be improved on the next FW versions.

Thank you very much for the detail description, we'll check out the sequence of operation as you have described, and if we can replicate the error, we'll include this into our Bugs and Requirements list.

The clock only appear in the default screen saver, we didn't include the clock information on the Status Bar because the Status bar is far too congested already.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #769 of 4,108
-Cover Art-
I am kinda O.C. with it comes to my audio files and I make sure that the information within them is complete and uniform. Items like album covers, year published, etc. are present in each file that I have. There are cases when I go the tab after Music, which is Album, It'll show all the albums (with its cover art) available for me. But when I start playing the song, the album art shown is the Cayin Default album art. This will be the same for all the albums. This happens even if I didn't do any changes on the storage, say adding or deleting albums. What I do to remedy this is to have the unit re-scan again all the songs and have it restarted. After some time, like a day or two, It'll happen again as if I have removed all the album covers from all the files.

I really like this unit and I like the fact that it sounds great and can do many things for an affordable price. I hope that this gets to be improved on the next FW versions.

I am also "O.C" like this... it is a curse to be sure! I am interesting in confirming - are you saying that all album art disappears until re-scan occurs? Also, I am wondering if this is for FLAC and/or mp3 format?

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #770 of 4,108
N5ii is operated on a fully customized Android 5.1, we believe most, if not all, music based application should work with it, but we can't be 100% sure. Occasionally if the app requested some service that we can't provided (e.g., contact list, camera, sms, ... etc), the app will not be able to function as intended.

Mind telling more detail about the third party app that you have troubled with? or by PM? If this is a relevant app, I'll try to include this in the optimization list for our future work.

Smart audiobook player is the app. Tried another audiobook player off the app store and that works fine. It's mainly the m4b (apples own audiobook file) and bookmark option (automatically resumes from last played position after leaving track) that I'm after.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #775 of 4,108
Fwiw, still digging the heck out of my N5ii. (Other than the occasional crashes and folder display bug.) Balanced outs are a joy to my ears.

Speaking of which, my Elear 2.5mm cable arrived. Pricey, but worth it for that headphone family. And I gotta admit the N5ii can really drive them well and present a pretty refined experience on that level. Clear owners will probably enjoy this pairing as well.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #776 of 4,108
As stated in previous discussion, we'll proceed to improve USB Audio feature after the V2.1EN is settled, but you can try the USB C to coaxial cable any time. S/PDIF Coaxial is a very stable, and I have customers prefer coaxial over USB from sound signature perspective.

USB C to coaxial cable does not work with the DSD files I tried to play using the N5ii as transport to my amp, though Flac sounded fine. Also, USB OTG to my amp did not play DSD and flac files were still not stable (clicks and pops). The following are the files I tried playing through USB OTG and USB to OPT. I think the $39 cable should be included with the DAP.

I think I'm done and looking for a reliable Android based DAP that plays DSD smoothly as advertised through USB, optical, balanced and SE.

Cat Stevens / Tea For The Tillerman
DSD (Single Rate) 2.8MHz/64fs Download

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #777 of 4,108
Really want to compare this to my i5.

Is there currently or will there be a review tour for the n5ii?

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #778 of 4,108
Really want to compare this to my i5.

Is there currently or will there be a review tour for the n5ii?

Hopefully around Feb Andy says.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #779 of 4,108
USB C to coaxial cable does not work with the DSD files I tried to play using the N5ii as transport to my amp, though Flac sounded fine. Also, USB OTG to my amp did not play DSD and flac files were still not stable (clicks and pops). The following are the files I tried playing through USB OTG and USB to OPT. I think the $39 cable should be included with the DAP.

I think I'm done and looking for a reliable Android based DAP that plays DSD smoothly as advertised through USB, optical, balanced and SE.

Cat Stevens / Tea For The Tillerman
DSD (Single Rate) 2.8MHz/64fs Download

First of all, can you play the track in N5ii directly without connecting to external device?

Type-C to coaxial cable should work with DSD file, did you set the USB output to DoP? Can you describe your system in more detail? You are "using the N5ii as transport to my amp", the name or photo of the amplifier would be helpful to solve the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back