Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #466 of 4,108
This is definitely a serious concern.

@Andykong hey definitely this needs addressing.

@PinkyPowers how is your 2.5mm on n5ii? For 3rd party apps.

I'm a bad Beta Tester and an unfortunate human being. I never bothered with apps or streaming services since I don't have an interest in those things.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #468 of 4,108
So just to double check what I’m reading, the 2.5mm balanced output doesn’t currently work with steaming apps like Apple Music?

That would be a shame as Apple Music will be my main source of music.
It doesn’t work. When you plug in the 2.5mm cable, it will close all apps, turn off wifi, bluetooth and change to Priority Mode.
So APPS just work with 3.5mm port.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #470 of 4,108
As i heard a week later there must be updated firmware with fix for 3d party apps + 2,5 output.
Audio priority mode will not depend on which output is in use and can be turned on/off by request.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #472 of 4,108
As i heard a week later there must be updated firmware with fix for 3d party apps + 2,5 output.
Audio priority mode will not depend on which output is in use and can be turned on/off by request.

Let's said Cayin is preparing a Christmas gift right now, we know time is a bit tight because we are moving a 2018 event up front, but I think we are going to make it before we finish our Christmas holiday, so stay tuned. :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #473 of 4,108
Got mine today, solid player, Android experience much more mature than a fair amount of other players I have tried. I probably prefer the signature of something like the Oppo #3/X7 MKII/Explorer/Cowon P1 but the N5 II is the best compromise of these players. Pocketable and compact, with big enough and responsive screen, plenty of power a great price and good Android implementation. I was worried about interface responsiveness due to the small (relatively) amount of memory but it is not bad at all probably what you would expect from a mid tier phone a couple years back.

It does EDM / Pop very well it has loads of energy without being harsh, well defined if not extremely deep bass and good synergy with my Dita's.

Only thing that has me a bit worried is that AndyKong keeps referring to the streaming/third party apps as a 'bottom of the list' priority. I buy Android based players because I of the streaming/third party apps otherwise there are plenty of very good options for stand alone players. I think more focus should be given to this as it is a differentiator.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #476 of 4,108
I would consider this very odd, 2.5mm balanced not working for 3rd party apps.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #478 of 4,108
Someone please confirm or I will have to return mine

A few posts above in his reply Andy already answered this question that Cayin is preparing a Xmas gift, which reading between the lines should be a fw update addressing this issue.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #479 of 4,108
This is unfortunate. Cayin should post their timeline publicly for future updates, with some accuracy. In such a niche market, transparency is everything. I don’t want to sit on an order past the return timeline. And I feel this should be mentioned everywhere the n5ii is sold that 2.5 doesn’t work with streaming apps.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #480 of 4,108
This is unfortunate. Cayin should post their timeline publicly for future updates, with some accuracy. In such a niche market, transparency is everything. I don’t want to sit on an order past the return timeline. And I feel this should be mentioned everywhere the n5ii is sold that 2.5 doesn’t work with streaming apps.

It was fully covered in the first official review and Andy has explained in detail on the boards.
And it's only a few more days so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back