Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #451 of 4,108
Had the same problem this past weekend, after I returned mine to Musicteck, they sent me a new one in a day. Great service!

Since i’m Not the only one, I’m afraid that the 2.5mm port is not very robust.

Sorry for the problem you have with N5ii, I have dropped you a PM for the serial number of your unit so that I can trace the production log.

Our apology for the inconvenient caused, will try out best to track down the problem and rectify if at all cost. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 21, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #452 of 4,108
Thank you for the information. So, I see that if anyone wants to use the Android DAP just as a Streamer/transport with different application support, currently Hiby R6 will be the best cost effective option in the market rather than the other DAPs due to its moden MicroController Unit running on Android 6.0 having native bit-perfect support. In the past, android phones(Samsung etc.) also started supporting bit-perfect streaming over USB after Android 6.0 by enabling a property using the developer Options on Android which means Android 6.0 is a primary baseline, in my opinion, for Android DAPs. I hope we can see Cayin DAPs running on better MCUs when they get cheaper by time and support bit-perfect streaming for all applications.

N5ii does not have the Direct Transport Audio (DTA) architecture of HiBy R6, that requires a more advanced/modern MCU so it is out of reach to N5ii.

The SRC of N5ii is fixed at 44.1kHz, As Tidal adopted 44.1kHz as their standard HiFi Track quality, therefore most, if not all, HiFi tracks of Tidal will bypass SRC because of that.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #454 of 4,108
Had the same problem this past weekend, after I returned mine to Musicteck, they sent me a new one in a day. Great service!

Hardware issues? And so it begins... Last year I bought N5-I from Advanced Mp3 Players UK. Unit dies after a week of use, one morning it simply stopped working and charging. Good for me, that AMP return policy was on time.
No software tests, no hardware tests, just put new model on site to earn money. Apple-ish behaviour IMHO.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #455 of 4,108
Thank you for the information. So, I see that if anyone wants to use the Android DAP just as a Streamer/transport with different application support, currently Hiby R6 will be the best cost effective option in the market rather than the other DAPs due to its moden MicroController Unit running on Android 6.0 having native bit-perfect support. In the past, android phones(Samsung etc.) also started supporting bit-perfect streaming over USB after Android 6.0 by enabling a property using the developer Options on Android which means Android 6.0 is a primary baseline, in my opinion, for Android DAPs. I hope we can see Cayin DAPs running on better MCUs when they get cheaper by time and support bit-perfect streaming for all applications.

Well, if I might, I would say HiBy R6 is the ONLY choice right if you need bit-perfect on all installed applications, the key technology is not Android 6 or MCU (those were required but not sufficient conditions), but the DTA architecture that HiBy has developed in-housed.

Traditionally, DAP is all above playback capability, analogue and digital output is only secondary requirements, and streaming/networking are further down in the requirement list. Tidal and Spotify is changing the landscape but to Cayin is still putting decoding and playback as the top priority of our DAP products, maybe that's why you don't have a lot of choice for a "perfect" streamer from DAP products.

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #456 of 4,108

Hardware issues? And so it begins... Last year I bought N5-I from Advanced Mp3 Players UK. Unit dies after a week of use, one morning it simply stopped working and charging. Good for me, that AMP return policy was on time.
No software tests, no hardware tests, just put new model on site to earn money. Apple-ish behaviour IMHO.

N5 was released back in July 2015, and we have a second generation DAP on Dec 2017, that is almost 30 months, and still we are being labeled as "No software tests, no hardware tests, just put new model on site to earn money."

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #457 of 4,108
N5ii has several menus for various control and manipulations, for the sake of better communication and less confusion, I would like to clarify the name of menus as follows:

1. Status Bar
At the top of the screen, display the battery reading and volume information etc.

2. Quick Playback Bar
At the bottom of the screen, display playback information

3. Application Menu
Pull out when swipe from left (edge) to right, third party applications and music setting.

4. Pull Down Menu
Phase-in design menu that you can pull down from top to bottom, the first section is the Notification Center, pull down again, you’ll arrive at the Quick Setup Menu, and when you click at the gear icon on top right corner, you’ll enter System Menu.

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #458 of 4,108

No software or hardware tests is not true or fair. All makes of players have issues, and Cayin seems to have fewer than most and has excellent support. Andy Kong is very active here, and owns up to any criticism or problems with Cayin players
I don't own any Cayin products, but would have no concerns with the reliability of their products.

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #459 of 4,108
No software or hardware tests is not true or fair. All makes of players have issues, and Cayin seems to have fewer than most and has excellent support. Andy Kong is very active here, and owns up to any criticism or problems with Cayin players
I don't own any Cayin products, but would have no concerns with the reliability of their products.

I had N5-I for a week, until it suddenly died. So my criticism is based on facts. Let's hope that n5-II behaves better.

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #460 of 4,108
Made for each other

IMG_20171221_135029.jpg

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #461 of 4,108
Sorry for the problem you have with N5ii, I have dropped you a PM for the serial number of your unit so that I can trace the production log.

Our apology for the inconvenient caused, will try out best to track down the problem and rectify if at all cost. :beerchug:

thank you sent you the serial n.

I'm still very pleased with the player, I really like it!

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #462 of 4,108
I had N5-I for a week, until it suddenly died. So my criticism is based on facts. Let's hope that n5-II behaves better.

Could have been a defective battery or something like that. Not saying this was your case, but I came across some of my readers who damaged their DAPs (and smartphones) using cheap eBay chargers and cables. I don't recall reading any similar complaints in N5 thread, maybe some isolated cases, so definitely nothing wide spread. Glad your unit was under warranty, taken care of. Cayin has a good reputation for high reliability and customer support, and also being honest to come forward with if there is a problem. Just because you had an issue with your unit (battery or charging ckt, etc), doesn't mean you can generalize it by putting the company and all their products down, don't you think, bud?

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #464 of 4,108
We send the package on 14th, and I receive the tracking number on 15th, but the package sit in the DHL warehouse until yesterday. That's a nightmare to our logistic, a lot of dealers has missed the last minute Christmas sales because of that. :angry:

Yeah, that's life. Don't worry. Be happy. Pinky will get it eventually. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back