Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #1,456 of 4,108
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,457 of 4,108
Loved the design, feel and sound, though I finally returned mine. Was a difficult decision, but my impression is, this is only a great device as long you use it with the stock player. If you start to use third party streaming apps like Apple Music or Spotify as a heavy user (download stuff on SD card , stream Radio etc.), this is not going to be a great experience. Mine was SO buggy! Froze and restarted automatically on a recular base, downloads stopped, cover did not load, the whole operation speed was sooo slow... etc.
Unfortunately that is the case with many Android audiophile DAPs, and that (still) is such a pity! I (have to) stay with my iPhone and A&K XB10 for far....and hope one day FINALLY the perfect streaming DAP will come out!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,458 of 4,108
So, I have to ask; what exactly are Cayin's plans for improving this device? What do they hope to achieve with future firmware updates, and which improvements do they think are fundamentally impossible to implement with what they have to work with?

Is the current GUI here to stay, or will it be improved? Is the current experience streaming as good as it's going to get? Is playlist functionality going to be improved? Can something be done about the stuttering?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,459 of 4,108
So, I have to ask; what exactly are Cayin's plans for improving this device? What do they hope to achieve with future firmware updates, and which improvements do they think are fundamentally impossible to implement with what they have to work with?

Is the current GUI here to stay, or will it be improved? Is the current experience streaming as good as it's going to get? Is playlist functionality going to be improved? Can something be done about the stuttering?
Android 6.0 and above will certainly not be coming to this device since its not supported by the Rockchip 3188

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,460 of 4,108
FiiO used to have Joe bloggs
Really? I just always assumed they are the same guy lol. No, you’re right, they both walk on water
Which was the correct way to do it as its the recommended retail and not a pre release special
not looking for an argument, I just think this is fun to talk about. Having said that....
Right now and for the last three months, the only place you can buy is IndieGoGo, so I would argue that IS the price RIGHT NOW. It is not available through any retail channel. If people are making a purchase decision RIGHT NOW, the IndieGoGo price IS the price. Just my opinion, and not looking for a fight

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,462 of 4,108
Does anyone have any tips for unresponsive touchscreen?

Physical buttons are working but I am guessing something is up with the Screen Digitiser or cable connection. I have tried re-boot to no avail.

I will be seeking warranty repair if necessary through the store I purchased from (back in January) but am interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue.

FYI - I have been enjoying the sound of this very portable device despite the occasional quirks so very sad to have it out of action... :tired_face:

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,463 of 4,108
Really? I just always assumed they are the same guy lol. No, you’re right, they both walk on water

not looking for an argument, I just think this is fun to talk about. Having said that....
Right now and for the last three months, the only place you can buy is IndieGoGo, so I would argue that IS the price RIGHT NOW. It is not available through any retail channel. If people are making a purchase decision RIGHT NOW, the IndieGoGo price IS the price. Just my opinion, and not looking for a fight
Oh no fights going on here....but your wrong. Full stop. No explanation needed :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,464 of 4,108

Physical buttons are working but I am guessing something is up with the Screen Digitiser or cable connection. I have tried re-boot to no avail.

I will be seeking warranty repair if necessary through the store I purchased from (back in January) but am interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue.

FYI - I have been enjoying the sound of this very portable device despite the occasional quirks so very sad to have it out of action... :tired_face:
If its some minor lag I have it occasionally. Mine can be solved simply by switching the screen off then on again.

So far it's been over 20 hours and I have not had any freezes. Hopefully it stays that way.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,465 of 4,108

You can try (and so can @seanwee) to enable "show touches" under "developer options" to see what the touchscreen is actually detecting. You can enable "developer options" by tapping seven times on "Product version" under "About device". This is standard on every Android device since 2011.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,466 of 4,108
You can try (and so can @seanwee) to enable "show touches" under "developer options" to see what the touchscreen is actually detecting. You can enable "developer options" by tapping seven times on "Product version" under "About device". This is standard on every Android device since 2011.
Developer options was one of the first things that I looked for when I booted my N5ii. Didn't find it.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,467 of 4,108
Developer options was one of the first things that I looked for when I booted my N5ii. Didn't find it.
Yes, that's because it is not active by default. You have to enable it by tapping on "build" (which is "Product version" on the N5ii). I guess the people at Google designed it this way so that clueless users wouldn't end up having an unusable device due to advanced options they shouldn't have enabled (and in my experience, that was a sound choice).

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,468 of 4,108
Yes, that's because it is not active by default. You have to enable it by tapping on "build" (which is "Product version" on the N5ii). I guess the people at Google designed it this way so that clueless users wouldn't end up having an unusable device due to advanced options they shouldn't have enabled (and in my experience, that was a sound choice).
Course its disabled my default. I know my android. I always enable it on my devices regardless if I will use it or not. Usually I'll set transition animation effects to x0.5 to increase performance.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,469 of 4,108
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately after several reboots no touchscreen action at all is registered. I will need to seek repair.
Not that I would ever do this, but has anyone ever opened the device? i.e. does anyone have any photos of the internals?

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,470 of 4,108
Resume function problems. New to Cayin, coming from FiiO. When I turn my player back on, sometimes it resumes on the same song and sometimes it goes back to another album or song I listened to days ago. Seems no rhyme or reason. Always shut the player down.

Also, having problems with momentary freezes, but I see that is shared by others.

FWIW, the Cayin sounds much better unamped than my X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back