Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,426 of 4,108
Some of my album arts are embedded so I cant resize them easily. I'll convert the rest just to test.
You can try TagScanner. Very effective for resizing album art in batch mode etc.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,427 of 4,108
What do you mean more erratic?

So far mine freezes on average about once per 8-9 hours.

So far the problems ive encountered are trivial and I'd happily keep the N5ii simply because it sounds so good.

As for the samsung, my mother uses one and yes its sorta buggy? She had an issue with the sim card suddenly not being detected and had to use slot 2 until a firmware patch came out.
Erratic is probaby the wrong word. Maybe 'intermittent' is better. Its not freqent in any case

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,428 of 4,108
Some of my album arts are embedded so I cant resize them easily. I'll convert the rest just to test.

I’m iTunes user and all my music is in ALAC I tag there as it’s easy. So far it worked. There might be few albums I missed and they would show Cayin stock photo.

I’m positive most issues will be sorted as I like this player. We can not expect it to as snappy as Samsung or iPhone in regards to speed of use.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,430 of 4,108
Right the middle of final packing up, I should start my journey in less then 4 hours.

I think we should compare N5ii with the aluminum version of R6, so the price different is less than 50%, not exactly doubled.

The R6 use a different HiBy engine. The R6 is based on HiBy3.0 while the N5ii is based on HiBy2.0, so they don't necessarily share the same system bugs to start with. N5ii and R6 runs on different version of Android OS, and the MCU of R6 is significantly better then N5ii, you can check out Marcus' review for more detail, its like comparing a Corolla to a Accord if you were looking at the system hardware platform.
https://headfonics.com/2018/01/cayin-n5ii-review/2/

We have no problem if someone prefers R6 over N5ii, so I do encourage users to consider R6 if they are discontent with N5ii. It is indeed a valid upgrade option from N5ii for consumers who are looking for mobile phone like user experience.

Really interesting take and transparency in this post :)

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,431 of 4,108
Hi!
I'm from Italy and I'm interested in buying the new N5ii. The authorized dealer for Cayin products answer me that they not imports the new DAP for the moment, so I must looking for a good online seller.
What puzzles me is the possible faulty DAP, especially with hardware problems, such as the balanced output connector: if I get a faulty one, the replacement would be complicated.
So the questions:
1) Are the connector problems very frequent? I have read here some users who have had it, but I did not understand if it is a defect that only affects a small number of players or not.
2) Can you recommend a good online seller for buying the N5ii which has good prices, but also good after-sales service? From what I have seen for now the best dealers in Europe (for the price) are Advanced MP3 Players and XChesser Audio. Do you know other good online seller also outside Europe?
Thanks a lot!

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,432 of 4,108
I've had my Cayin N5ii for about a week. I am running the latest firmware. So far, I have only had 2 very minor issues, the cover art is blurred on occasion and earlier today when I was listening to an album after it finished a track it when to a song on a totally unrelated album instead of playing the track that followed on the original album.

Per Andrew's (from Musiteck) recommendations I paired it with a pair of Simgot EN700 Pro's. It's a good combination most of the time but the treble can be a little harsh on some recordings. It also sounds great with my old Bose AE2s.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,433 of 4,108
Hi!
I'm from Italy and I'm interested in buying the new N5ii. The authorized dealer for Cayin products answer me that they not imports the new DAP for the moment, so I must looking for a good online seller.
What puzzles me is the possible faulty DAP, especially with hardware problems, such as the balanced output connector: if I get a faulty one, the replacement would be complicated.
So the questions:
1) Are the connector problems very frequent? I have read here some users who have had it, but I did not understand if it is a defect that only affects a small number of players or not.
2) Can you recommend a good online seller for buying the N5ii which has good prices, but also good after-sales service? From what I have seen for now the best dealers in Europe (for the price) are Advanced MP3 Players and XChesser Audio. Do you know other good online seller also outside Europe?
Thanks a lot!
The balanced output on my unit is fine but we'll have to see what others say about theirs.

As for online sellers with good after sales service, does amazon ship to your country?

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,434 of 4,108
You're talking about a ~350$ device vs a ~650$ one here...

There's no comparison, the classes are entirely different.

N5ii compares to Opus #1s in price and in that sense, the competition would be fair and explained.

I will hear R6 sometime soon, and I have high hopesfor it, but again, it is a 650$ device AFAIK, not a 350$ one...
Geez guys, if you’re going to complain about comparing to a more expensive device, at least get the price right. R6 is only available through Indiegogo and the aluminum chassis price was $479. A $130 difference, but hardly double. Just saying when we wander into the area of objective fact it’s nice to get it right

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,436 of 4,108
I've had my Cayin N5ii for about a week. I am running the latest firmware. So far, I have only had 2 very minor issues, the cover art is blurred on occasion and earlier today when I was listening to an album after it finished a track it when to a song on a totally unrelated album instead of playing the track that followed on the original album.

Per Andrew's (from Musiteck) recommendations I paired it with a pair of Simgot EN700 Pro's. It's a good combination most of the time but the treble can be a little harsh on some recordings. It also sounds great with my old Bose AE2s.
Maybe that is the first song on your next folder, you can disable the play through folder option if you want to loop back to the first song of the folder (album).

I am on my Super Shuttle at LGA airport right now four more guests to go before the Shuttle leave airport.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #1,437 of 4,108
Right the middle of final packing up, I should start my journey in less then 4 hours.

I think we should compare N5ii with the aluminum version of R6, so the price different is less than 50%, not exactly doubled.

The R6 use a different HiBy engine. The R6 is based on HiBy3.0 while the N5ii is based on HiBy2.0, so they don't necessarily share the same system bugs to start with. N5ii and R6 runs on different version of Android OS, and the MCU of R6 is significantly better then N5ii, you can check out Marcus' review for more detail, its like comparing a Corolla to a Accord if you were looking at the system hardware platform.
https://headfonics.com/2018/01/cayin-n5ii-review/2/

We have no problem if someone prefers R6 over N5ii, so I do encourage users to consider R6 if they are discontent with N5ii. It is indeed a valid upgrade option from N5ii for consumers who are looking for mobile phone like user experience.
Andy you are remarkable. There is not another sales guy on the planet who would write this post. It gives you tremendous credibility and contributes to Head-Fi feeling like a community. Thank you!

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,438 of 4,108
Hi,

I tried to use the Meridian Explorer 2 with N5ii. Mostly to try MQA with Roon. The explorer works with the default Cayin app but then only at a fixed, very loud, volume. It doesn’t work with Tidal or Roon. Anyone has success doing like this? It should work with Android phones so I assumed it should work with the N5ii also.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,440 of 4,108
Andy you are remarkable. There is not another sales guy on the planet who would write this post. It gives you tremendous credibility and contributes to Head-Fi feeling like a community. Thank you!
FiiO used to have Joe bloggs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back