Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #902 of 4,108
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #903 of 4,108
does anyone know how to remove the leather case? mine won't budge.

It's VERY difficult. I use a sturdy pen and stand it upright, and push the DAP down upon the pen through the USB cutout. Push hard. And be careful.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #904 of 4,108
Pinky, Always like reading your reviews. Great comparisons and match-ups.
I have been really looking at this and it may finally be time to try it. Wondering how it'll compare with the X5iii.
I just uploaded the new FW so will see how that fares. I have been planning on purchasing another DAP soon. Might be between this and the Opus #1s...

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #905 of 4,108
Wider soundstage than Opus #1 with smoother treble ? Sounds like a winner for my taste, and it is not a small feat!

It is becoming very tempting to me, although I personnaly find the case ugly.
This crocodile-style texture is unneeded bling-bling, as is the golden wheel. Not classy (except for Chinese standards maybe). :wink:

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #906 of 4,108
Pinky, Always like reading your reviews. Great comparisons and match-ups.
I have been really looking at this and it may finally be time to try it. Wondering how it'll compare with the X5iii.
I just uploaded the new FW so will see how that fares. I have been planning on purchasing another DAP soon. Might be between this and the Opus #1s...

Going from memory of my week spent with the X5iii, the N5II will have a much more punchy, quick sound. Better clarity, BY FAR, more detail-oriented. Wider soundstage. The X5iii is warmer, less treble, maybe a little more bass. I didn't actually find the X5iii to be all that bassy, not like the i5. It got most of its warmth and smoothness from a lack of treble. To my ears, and memory, the N5II is superior-sounding in a big way.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #908 of 4,108
Going from memory of my week spent with the X5iii, the N5II will have a much more punchy, quick sound. Better clarity, BY FAR, more detail-oriented. Wider soundstage. The X5iii is warmer, less treble, maybe a little more bass. I didn't actually find the X5iii to be all that bassy, not like the i5. It got most of its warmth and smoothness from a lack of treble. To my ears, and memory, the N5II is superior-sounding in a big way.
I've been thinking about this DAP for awhile, but I he prospect of the Hiby R6 has caused me to pause. I know it's a few months from full release, but the potential has me holding off on any DAP or usb DAC purchase

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #910 of 4,108
Well it's official, my Mojo has been sold and my N5ii is here to stay!

Highly urge anyone who has not already upgraded to FW 2.1 to do so, it was a game changer for me.
So you are saying you pick this DAP over the mojo? Can you give a somewhat detailed explanation? On this DAP are you able to add extra bass to streaming apps and on board music?

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #911 of 4,108
So you are saying you pick this DAP over the mojo? Can you give a somewhat detailed explanation? On this DAP are you able to add extra bass to streaming apps and on board music?

The main reason I am selling the Mojo is that I got really tired of carrying it around with my iPhone, it just made changing tracks by itself a hassle. I use the Apple Music app as my source for music, you cannot use the built in EQ on the N5ii to EQ Apple Music.

I also wasn't too fond of the pairing of the Mojo with the Tia Fourte, i found myself getting headaches/slight fatigue after a short time with that pair up. Can't quite pinpoint what it was but it was a little too warm sounding for my taste. After I sold my Mojo it was almost a direct trade in terms of cost between the Mojo and the N5ii.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #912 of 4,108
Spent several very enjoyable hours listening & exploring the N5ii throughout the day. Nice overall sound presentation - depth, width, clarity, timbre & air. Very musical with the stuff I listen to: female jazz vocalists, string chamber music, Beatles, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, JT, Sinatra, CSN&Y, to name a few.

One very odd thing. Listening to The Beatles ABBEY ROAD (selected from the "Artist" menu) only 16 tracks (out of 17) played. The last track played was 16" The End" However, there is the little snippet of "Her Majesty" (track 17) that should play after several seconds of silence. But it doesn't & also doesn't appear in the Playlist! Only shows 16 tracks. "Her Majesty" does show up in the Folder view of the TF card (and does play from that location) It also doesn't show up when using the search function of the DAP. Weird!

I double checked the album tags in foobar2000 & all is OK. Deleted & reloaded Abbey Road, but with same results!

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #914 of 4,108
Spent several very enjoyable hours listening & exploring the N5ii throughout the day. Nice overall sound presentation - depth, width, clarity, timbre & air. Very musical with the stuff I listen to: female jazz vocalists, string chamber music, Beatles, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, JT, Sinatra, CSN&Y, to name a few.

One very odd thing. Listening to The Beatles ABBEY ROAD (selected from the "Artist" menu) only 16 tracks (out of 17) played. The last track played was 16" The End" However, there is the little snippet of "Her Majesty" (track 17) that should play after several seconds of silence. But it doesn't & also doesn't appear in the Playlist! Only shows 16 tracks. "Her Majesty" does show up in the Folder view of the TF card (and does play from that location) It also doesn't show up when using the search function of the DAP. Weird!

I double checked the album tags in foobar2000 & all is OK. Deleted & reloaded Abbey Road, but with same results!
If it’s a short track make sure it is scanned correctly by the DAP. In the Music Scan settings where it has a Scan All and Scan specified folder option, there is a gear in the upper right corner. It has an option that needs to be toggled for music shorter than 60 seconds or 500kb.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #915 of 4,108
If it’s a short track make sure it is scanned correctly by the DAP. In the Music Scan settings where it has a Scan All and Scan specified folder option, there is a gear in the upper right corner. It has an option that needs to be toggled for music shorter than 60 seconds or 500kb.

Thank you SO much for the tip, noverbeck. I totally missed that little gear icon. Unchecked those settings in that sub-menu and now that short little Beatles track is there. AWESOME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back